Macho Callahan (Bernard L. Kowalski, 1970)

Anyone seen this western directed by Bernard J Kowalski, starring David Jannssen as an escaped prisoner from a confederate prison on the revenge trail. It’s a pretty good western and obviously influenced by spaghetti westerns, via dirty characters,violence to women and the ending. what do you guys think of it?

Another one which I haven’t seen for ages.

The ideas were better than their execution. It lacked an interesting style for me, and out of my memory it would get only a 5/10.

Believe it or not, I have never been able to locate a copy of this to watch! Even as a kid I never saw this one on American TV.
I used to have a copy of the paperback novelization, but I’ve never seen the film.
I am sure I will be disappointed once I get the chance to see it! ha ha!
But, I still want to have that chance.

Viewed on T.V along time ago, and is on my want list.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:4, topic:2207”]Viewed on T.V along time ago, and is on my want list.[/quote]There are pre-certs on Magnetic and Embassy :wink:

I have an old Embassy tape of this. (By the way, it’s Callahan, not Callaghan - isn’t that how Fidani spelled the name?)

Very gritty, squalid combination of trek and revenge plots, which takes some pretty ridiculous turns along the way – it’s hard to digest the heroine’s emotional seesawing.

I still like it, however, if only for the bloody action, solid performances (there are also appearances by some personal favourites, including Bo Hopkins, Matt Clark and David Carradine), and the determinedly downbeat mood.

I saw it once, and still remember that I liked the opening (in a POW camp) and the ending, but not most of what happenend in-between. Like Starblack says, some of the turns and twists in the script are difficult to swallow. It felt a little like a long and windy road.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:4, topic:2207”]Viewed on T.V along time ago, and is on my want list.[/quote]same here ENNIOO i remember seeing it on tv years ago, on an ITV " Savage West" season i think, and it hasn’t turned up much since. i remember it being good and like a spaghetti western. sorry about the spelling Starblack!

Good memory man with a name :slight_smile: .

I taped it from that broadcast - I remember they broke for commercials right in the middle of the opening POW camp shootout, the scoundrels.

Believe it or not, I had a similar experience in cinema once, when they broke in the middle of an action scene of Hill’s Extreme Prejudice, not for commercials, just like that. When I asked what the hell was going on, the answer was (Dutch, but I won’t have to translate)

“Pauze”

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:12, topic:2207”]Believe it or not, I had a similar experience in cinema once, when they broke in the middle of an action scene of Hill’s Extreme Prejudice, not for commercials, just like that. When I asked what the hell was going on, the answer was (Dutch, but I won’t have to translate)

“Pauze”[/quote]

A better answer might have been (again, I won’t need to translate): “Stupidity”

Any fandubs of the French DVD?

Personally, I would just like to see the Film, starring the late, David Janssen (TV’s ‘The Fugitive’).

From memory, I had the paper-back novelisation…but don’t recall ever seeing the film…I’d love to, though…

It was one of many ‘movie-tie-ins’ novelisation paperbacks’ that - I’m ashamed to say - I put to a local blimmin’ charity shop!

I have it on VHS but the print looks really nice on the Studiocanal DVD.

Didn’t know about this one, so searched it up on the SWDB. Came up with Macho Callaghan gaat er op los aka Giù la testa… hombre, which I haven’t seen either, and thought I was in for a Fidani. As I couldn’t believe my own eyes, after twenty minutes I checked once more and discovered my mistake :grin:. But this one seems promising.

Yep.

You mean there’s a fandub available? Such a pity Studiocanal never gave the option for English audio

Why the title coincidence?