Long Live Your Death / Viva la muerte … tua! (Duccio Tessari, 1971)

[quote=“Lindberg, post:56, topic:461”]Why is it not very high on your wish list Scherp?

What more films have a better name in Italy than abroad, you mean spaghettis right? Or you mean other films as well?[/quote]

A bit complicated

First I’m not very fond of comedy spaghettis or late spaghettis (the golden period is the period for me)
Second i’m still preparing the Hill & Spencer focus of next month (if nobody blocks the way again) and have therefore watched quite a few comedy spaghettis lately
Third I got me a copy of Seven Women for the McGregors (another comedy spaghetti) and think I’ll watch that one of these days or nights (for some obscure reason I’m looking forward to watching it)
Fourth I have an immense to watch list, with spaghettis, kung fu, arthouse, comedy, war, non-spagh-westerns, you name it

One of the things always surprising me when I read about Corbucci in Italian, is that Compañeros is often called his best movie, it has a better name & fame than Great Silence, Django and Mercenary
At the same time it must be said that Corbucci has more fans outside Italy than in his home country; most Italian critics still see him in the first place as a director of (rather vulgar) comedies. In a standard work like La Comedia all’Italiana by Enrico Giacovelli, he’s called 'a man of little rafinement, both in daily life and in his work’
Things are changing a little, mainly because of his fame abroad

Wild East one runs just over 1 hour and 51 mins. Some scenes have english subtitles with the audio in Italian as these scenes were lost / never recorded into english.

I was just about to post this, you beat me to it Ennioo :o ;D

@ Scherp

Some day I think you should watch it though :wink:

[quote=“Lindberg, post:63, topic:461”]@ Scherp

Some day I think you should watch it though ;)[/quote]

Some day …

Heard these words before, somewhere …

Interesting that you should bring up 7 GUNS FOR THE MACGREGORS in this thread, Scherp.
I am probably the odd man out, but I don’t think of either film (LONG LIVE YOUR DEATH or 7 GUNS…) as outright comedies.
LONG LIVE YOUR DEATH leans closest to being an outright comedy of the two, though.
7 GUNS… is, to my way of thinking, a light-hearted adventure film but not an outright comedy.
There are way too many gritty and somewhat serious moments in the MacGregors film for it be deemed a comedy, in my estimation.

I like Giraldi’s film much more than Tessari’s, by the way. For whatever that is worth.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:64, topic:461”]Some day …

Heard these words before, somewhere …[/quote]

Once Upon a Time you heard these words…

:wink:

Always thought this myself aswell.

Both McGregors are no comedies, but the concept of the Scottish clan and the 7 brothers is so absurd that this very violent western (7 guns) is often called a comedy by many in a misleading way. 7 women was maybe a bit lighter. The grotesque Sugar Colt is a similar case.

Long Live Your Death is interesting cause it was maybe intended for Corbucci, who fell out with Nero on Companeros, so that in the end Tessari made it.
There is a line of decline from The Mercenary over Companeros to Long Live Your Death. At least one would have hoped that a once gifted director like Tessari would have done better with this film. The directing is after alll good, but never great. The problem is the undecided screenplay.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:61, topic:461”]One of the things always surprising me when I read about Corbucci in Italian, is that Compañeros is often called his best movie, it has a better name & fame than Great Silence, Django and Mercenary
At the same time it must be said that Corbucci has more fans outside Italy than in his home country; most Italian critics still see him in the first place as a director of (rather vulgar) comedies. In a standard work like La Comedia all’Italiana by Enrico Giacovelli, he’s called 'a man of little rafinement, both in daily life and in his work’
Things are changing a little, mainly because of his fame abroad[/quote]

Maybe because abroad most of his comedies were never shown.

There’s nothing wrong with the screenplay, and I don’t think this film would’ve been better with Corbucci as director

The only reason you might not like it is because it’s a bit light-hearted, otherwise it’s a fine film

The script for Companeros is on the other hand somewhat weak, and What am I doing in the middle of a revolution is a much weaker film on the whole

Haven’t watched this for a while but I remember being little disappointed. Not a bad film but it has potential to be better with that cast and crew. Ah, I gotta get that Wild East disc.

The Corbucci of 71 would probably have made a bad film out of it. The Corbucci of 68 a better film. The Tessari of 65 also a better film.

Yes, the script of Companeros has its problems, but Companeros at its best contains scenes which top everything in Long Live Your Death.

But still, I have to see it again, but I wasn’t impressed then. I remember it a bit undecided if it wanted to be a serious film or a lightweight film.

It’s a lightweight film, more lightweight than Companeros, no question about it

Your theory that Corbucci of 68 or Tessari of 65 would have made a better film is a strange way of looking at it

This is a 1970s comedy spaghetti western, there’s no violence like in the MacGregors films of the 60s

It has influences from earlier spaghettis, it has a ‘late SW-period feel’ if you get what I mean, and it even has a musical pocket watch :wink:

In other words it has some of the classic ingredients but presents them in a more humorous lightweight style

Absolutely agree with this, Stanton.

And as for LONG LIVE YOUR DEATH I like what Lindberg said: “In other words it has some of the classic ingredients but presents them in a more humorous lightweight style”.
That sums it up quite nicely, in my opinion.
I like the film OK, I just think it should have been much better given the pool of talent involved.

Not viewed this one since the 90’s, so moved up a little in the to watch pile.

This describes the film very well. It’s an action packed film, but it wasn’t supposed to be especially violent. The weakest parts are when senselessly some scenes (but only some and often at moments when you don’t expect it) suddenly turn into stupid slapstick. Parts of the film are really done in comedy style, and these parts are awful and unnecessary changes of style.

But Tessari’s directing is mostly really good. Reminds me that he could have become one of the great SW directors, but gave away the momentum of time by doing for years no other western after his Ringo films, and then returned to the genre in 69 with a not very convincing comedy.

Still, despite the fine directing, the film somehow never becomes really exciting.

Btw, the scenes of the WE disc which are not in the German version are making the film better.

So the film wasn’t so bad after all Stanton :wink:

Great and funny performance from the cast as well

this is a very good movie indeed. i love the song sung by Ms redgrave does any one know if a soundtrack is available?