Long Live Your Death / Viva la muerte … tua! (Duccio Tessari, 1971)

You can verify this theory in Ace High :wink:

I thought this movie tried too hard to be something of significance rather than just being another absurd Zapatista spaghetti. I’d contrast it with Tepapa which I know has it’s detractors but manages to amount to more than the sum of it’s parts with little or no effort. This one by contrast was all effort and the payoff didn’t quite reach beyond the next scene. I have only seen a fullscreen TV print that was 2 generations old but just from the talents involved I sort of expected something more. Like someone said, it’s alright, nothing special. Nothing too memorable except Franco Nero shooting his car.

Can you compare this one and Tepepa? This one is a comedy. I’m not a big fan of comedy SWs, but “Long Live” is a good one.

I honestly think it is nearly impossible to compare these two. Tepepa is a dead serious Revolutionary western but not a Zapata in my book as it does not deal with a gringo revolutionizing a peasant but a peasant revolutionizing a gringo. The later is the Hollywood method.

There is also the fact that Long Live… is a comedy and is not dead serious or even halfway serious. Tepepa is more concerned with the reality of the Revolution while this film uses the Revolution as a back drop for comedy, action, and a tiny dose of politics.

You’re reading into it too much. Zapata Western is simply supposed to be set in the Mexican Revolution [1910-1920], that’s all

It’s not a comedy for me. But it tends towards a comedy direction, but only partly succeeding in doing so.

If this is a sort of a follow-up to Companeros, then it shows how these revolution westerns made their way down from the brillant The Mercenary over the partly brillant Companeros to the ordinary (but not bad) Long Live Your Death. Also accompanied by a great loss of substance.

Isn’t it more like from The Mercenary to Companeros to What am I doing in the middle of a Revolution?

I don’t think Long Live your Death even pretends to be on the same level as the better more serious Zapata westerns, but it’s great as a more light-hearted adventure SW with some influences from GBU.

About What am I Doing… you can say the same of course. But it’s a more serious film about the revolution, while most of the 70s SWs located in the revolution only used it as background for over-the-top adventure films.

As far as I know Corbucci was the original choose for the director’s chair of Long Live YD, and it was of course the next star vehicle for the redesigned Nero. I also read somewhere that it was intended to be a successor to Companeros, it was made by some of the same producers and screenplay writers. And it fits the downward trend perfectly. Tessari’s direction is good, but far from being brillant and the story is much more superficial than Companeros.

The german title is btw “Two Wild Companeros”. They also co-produced both films.

[quote=“alk0, post:25, topic:461”]You’re reading into it too much. Zapata Western is simply supposed to be set in the Mexican Revolution [1910-1920], that’s all[/quote]Your right. I am reading into it too much but I still have to stand by my beliefs. I remember when I was obsessed with getting What am I doing… thinking i would be the definitive Zapata western but it is simply just a nice little buddy film. So when I was watching this movie, I felt like I was not seeing the best or maybe that this is the best i would get out of the Zapata’s. So I held it against the film thinking I would never see What… But after seeing What… I think of this film as being pretty good but I canot say I like it because the only time I watched it, I was thinking against it. Weird how my mind works.

I understand. Sometimes i watch a movie and find myself looking at a clock from time to time and thinking about everything else, not paying attention to the movie itself. And the next day when i think about the movie i find myself thinking ‘actually it was good’ :stuck_out_tongue:

I think there’s a sign of a bad movie you can easily remember. When a flick is too dull I tend to use the ff-button on the remote control. Pushing this button is something I can always remember.

AND this didn’t happen while watching “Long Live”.

I just watched this one on the WE label and found it to be good entertainment.
Nero and Wallach are great together.

4/5 stars.

How long is the Eli Wallach interview on the disc ?

Highly entertaining but not dead serious SW with the always cool Franco Nero and Eli Walach. A more lighthearted version of Companeros? 3.5/5

Interview is around 19 mins long.

Film is longer than my previous version of around 1 hour and 36 mins. The Wild East version is around 1 hour and 51 mins, and has english subtitles for the bits that were ever recorded into english and / or lost.

If this again is a Pal runtime, like so many other WE releases, it probably is an uncut version.

Got my Wildeast disc today.The print quality isn’t exactly stunning but it’s wonderful to at last see a full uncut English version.I have a dvdr of the Italian version of which appears to be identical in length but not quality.

Excellent interview with Eli Wallach too. :smiley:

I’ve seen 3 releases previously of this film:

The old UK vhs and the old Swedish vhs, I think they were identical, fullscreen shortened english audio version

And also the Cinecity version, which used a longer German dubbed widescreen vhs as source, and had a (badly done) english audiodub, with German audio for the parts missing an english dub

Probably the new WE version uses the Italian dvd as source ?

I got my WE dvd yesterday, btw

Well i’m sure the Italian dvd which apparently came free with a magazine (a friend ripped a copy for me) is a better print.

I’ve also got that Cinecity version as well as the American vhs with the dancing asses.

I’m glad we now have the english audio version from WE, with the original voices from the main actors

If this film was released by Koch Media it would probably only have italian and german audio, especially since the english version missed 17 min

Maybe a fan-made version would have emerged, though