Long Cavalcade of Vengeance / La lunga cavalcata della vendetta (Tanio Boccia, 1972)

Same here. I have a TV-version (Djangos blutige Spur = Djangoā€™s bloody trail/trace). The movie is pretty hard to get these days but not really worth hunting down 'cause itā€™s nothing special. Rather boring stuff with little to offer. The first ten minutes were later recycled by Gianni Crea in ā€˜Seven devils on horsebackā€™.

I liked this one quite a bit, average film with some nasty violence. Nowhere as good as Vengeance which it clearly tires to imitate though(Harrison, episodic structure, pieces of cloth here instead of pieces of ropes). What I found strange is how Harrisonā€™s character quickly changes from Trinity style tramp who talks to his horse to ordinary gunfighter, he even abandons his beloved horse. Maybe they were doing this without the script and thought first that it would be comedy? :-\

Havenā€™t seen this one in a long time. I watched it a few years ago and for the life of me I canā€™t recall much, if anything, about it!
Maybe I should watch it again.

Did anyone else have a strange chopped of ending?

Silenceā€¦ thought your comments would be good here :wink: .

[quote=ā€œSilence, post:6281, topic:141ā€]
Long Cavalcade of Vengeance
Town drunk Jeff Carterā€™s (Harrison) sister gets raped and killed by four gunmen led by Montana (Battaglia), there is also a fifth gunman but heā€™s innocent. Needless to say, our hero wants revenge and thatā€™s exactly whatā€™s heā€™s sets out for.

The film is told in flashback format and they decided to chop of the part we see at the beginning at the end so very confusing ending! That and that some parts are basically copies of Vengeance (also starring Richard Harrison by the way) are the major disappointments of the film, otherwise we have a straightforward revenge film without any meaningless gold side stories too often seen in Spaghs.

By the way, donā€™t expect too much violence even if thatā€™s the films reputation.[/quote]

Very strange mix this one. Seems to me they started making one film then changed their minds mid stream and changed to another one only to bodge them both together at the editing stage. As Bill mentions above, Harrison first appears (chronologically speaking) a la Trinity, complete with exposed underwear, lazy attitude and beloved donkey. Gets his first man like this but then, inexplicably, changes image to become a traditional western hero type. He is helped by loyal ranch worker Furio Mencone (complete with cool slingshot) but he then disappears never to be mentioned again.

As also mentioned, the film is told largely in flashback but this is very clumsily done and because the flashback starts after Harrison has had his big shootout with the main villain it leads to an anticlimax once the flashback ends and we are back in real time. At which point you think, hey heā€™s missed a villain out, but no, he goes after him now too. But what about the girl he is saving in the opening? Gone and forgotten and unexplained.

I like Harrison so despite all the above nonsense and the obviously miniscule to non existent budget of the whole thing I still enjoyed it as long as he was on screen. Bald patch or not I always think he is pretty cool. But this is sadly nowhere near his best vehicle. Neither does it show Anita Ekberg at her best. She was 41 by the time this was made and looks decidedly heavier than in her heyday. Safe to say the bird on the poster ainā€™t Anita.

One of Harrisonā€™s better ones for me (probably 4th behind Vengeance, One After Another and El Rojo)ā€¦ iā€™m surprised no one has mentioned the music as I found the various tracks pretty catchy, one of the most unique soundtracks iā€™ve heard and stops the film from becoming dull. 8/10

I like this one too. Donā€™t remember the score though, so maybe thatā€™s a reason to rewatch it.

This film really looks as if Boccia didnā€™t cared for anything in it. The film seems not to know in which direction it really wants to go. 3/10

The idea to have the revenge on leader of the villains in the first scene, and then skipping this part at the end, is a pretty unusual idea. But it only males a helpless impression here.

Iā€™ve had this one for awhile, just got around to watch it. A very poor film IMO, badly directed, bad acting by all. One of the worst Harrison spagā€™s iā€™ve seen so far. I know one thing! I wonā€™t be rushing to watch this one any time soon. 1/5

After my last few turkeys I gotta say I was absolutely thrilled with the plethora of fake cacti in this. Not only the Fidani favourites from Dead Men make no Shadows but some beauties Iā€™ve never seen before. (There will be a favourite cacti thread.)
I enjoyed this Richard Harrison Vengeance/One after Another - stylee revenge movie, probably more than I otherwise would - but I was definately in the mood for this. Some shocking continuity cock-ups and plotholes aside, this was budget spaghetti as I like 'em. :slight_smile:

I did notice a massive in joke/self-referencing bit thoughā€¦

Initially I checked One After Another - but then realised (and checked) - the beginning revenge killing in Vengeance. In Vengeance thereā€™s a bit of rope as the reminder of nastiness for first revenge kill. But in Deadly Trackers itā€™s a bit of poncho and itā€™s the last revenge kill. Itā€™s the very same actor alongside RH as well for this repeat performance.
These bits are the same - same actory-bloke comes home, finds RHā€™s feet on table and rifle by his side waiting for him. Claims innocence but Harrison stamps on the floorboards, popping it up exposing a sack of gold that incriminates him. The fellah pushes over the table onto Harrison and escapesā€¦ Harrison goes after him for the revenge shootout - bang.
Itā€™s a low budget remake of the same scene. Priceless!

Glad to see one you enjoyed :wink: .

Yeah, me too :slight_smile:
I donā€™t mind watching some duffers though. I usually donā€™t think Iā€™m not gonna get that time back - I just think that Iā€™ll be free to write a disrespectful ā€˜reviewā€™ and look forward to that process - it keeps me in the zone despite the pain.

Gotta agree with this - I was a bit wary when I saw the red undershirt a la Trinity, but thought it would get a bit darker. I kept telling myself Gianni Garko styled this look pre-Trinity in Cowards Donā€™t Pray.

There was a undeliberate comedy moment after Harrison dumps his two would be muggers in the water-trough, walks around it but doesnā€™t noticed the horsemen that have arrived directly in front of him, until they announce themselves. There just was no time for them to have snuck-up on him.
Still - budget aside and change of tone a third of the way in for Harrison (for the better), this wasnā€™t a bad little revenge flick. No where near as well filmed and directed as with One After Another and Vengeance - but thankfully it steered away from the shitty Trinity vibe that it threatened. :stuck_out_tongue:

If anyone can help me get a copy, Iā€™d really like to see this one!

Take a look here.

How on earth did they get away with making this? So many scenes are lifted from Vengeance. No wonder Richard Harrison plays it with a big grin on his face! He said in an interview he made this just for the laughs. The film actually looks like it was made by students. It was certainly a lot of fun to watch, however. :smiley:

Watched this for a second time. Without a doubt, this is one of the worst spaghetti westerns ever made. 1/5 stars.

Great new review of the movie by @Meceita

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Deadly_Trackers_review

2 Likes

Gave this one a go because of @Meceita 's review.

Nice review, but the film is terrible, I thought.

2 Likes

Thanks for the compliment!
Sorry that I encouraged you to watch this :slight_smile:
I can understand that you didnā€™t liked it.
I liked the storytelling (with the long flashback). Richard Harrison played well and for me there was enough entertainment.

1 Like