Light the Fuse … Sartana Is Coming / Una nuvola di polvere … un grido di morte … arriva Sartana (Giuliano Carnimeo, 1970)

Best of sartana series , i think

If not the best, definitely the most fun. The scene where’s he’s jumped by Monk’s men after their lunch…that was the exact moment I realized “I am on board this movie 100%, wherever it’s going.” Then, it delivers the line “Cowards! Three against one” and I had to pause the DVD I was laughing so hard, and THEN the pipe organ. This is one of my faves, up there with Master of the Flying Guillotine.

Watched this on blu ray again but the quality is not like a real bluray , believe me! 8)

Does anyone know where you can get a copy of the Simple Movie DVD of this. I cannot find it anywhere, and its doing my head in that I have not seen this yet. Not to sound strange, but I’d really like to see Sartana with his organ in action :wink: ;D ;D.

How does the quality on the Sinister Cinema DVD compare with other releases?

So it is part of the BluRay box, just wanna make sure everyone gets that box :wink:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Buon_funerale,_amigos!.._paga_Sartana/BluRay

See the BluRay news topic…

1 Like

Re-watched this after many years thanks to the new Blu-Ray, which looks rather well.

I’d have to rate it as so-so. The opening scenes are fairly unusual for a Western with Sartana getting himself incarcerated in that prison camp and you feel like a little more thought has gone into things than the usual, strung together spaghetti western plot. However, the plot is stretched too thin and there’s a fairly convoluted jumble of characters - I know that is how a Sartana movie is supposed to be but a bit more coherence would have been nice.

What’s more, Saratana has become very conventional in this film. Very human. I think Have A Good Funeral… nicely blended the jokey Carmineo approach with the darkness of the first film, however, here Saratana doesn’t appear at all supernatural. The graveyard scene is the only nod in that direction but doesn’t exploit it at all.

Certainly a decent film with a little more effort in it than most but just not Sartana enough for me!

1 Like

I think it’s the second best Sartana film (Trade Your Pistol might be a tie) after the first one, which I still prefer to all the others. My least favourite has to be Have a Good Funeral despite some excellent action sequences.

1 Like

This is one of my all-time favourite opening sequences of any spaghetti western and one of my favourite themes. I like this and Have a Good Funeral the most (but it’s hard to choose, the Garko Sartanas are all great). I still don’t have the blu-ray box set. :anguished: Have to wait until next month.

I gave it a 9-out-of-10. Just some minor continuity-issues. Mostly with the steamroom-scene and guys rushing straight at the machine-gun. Heavy gold falling-out of the ceiling after 1-or-2 shots at it.

1 Like

2 Likes

I’ve had the sinister cinema version for a few weeks now and finally got around to watching it tonight. The quality is not great but it is pretty good. It’s not washed out, not a crappy VHS transfer, but it is the quality of a B western of that era. For the $8 bucks I paid I was pleasantly surprised. It was definitely worth the price.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight - and welcome on board!

1 Like

Welcome… :slight_smile: In the meantime since that question was asked the whole series has come out on blu-ray in a nice boxset which comes very much recommended:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Nuvola_di_polvere…_un_grido_di_morte…_arriva_Sartana,_Una/BluRay

2 Likes

The same transfer was used by Echo Bridge for their bargain sets. Sinister Cinema are overpriced because they are not actually pressed discs but DVD+rs. If you’re a Sartana fan, you wanna go for the Arrow box set like Soren mentioned.

1 Like

I found the box after I already bought 3 of the 5 Sartana films. At $70 it’s on the one of these days list for the time being. I’m a little over 30 on the SW discs owned and have at least 20 more I want.

Thank you for the welcome and the site. I was looking for the best SW to watch and it led me here. This site has turned me on to many movies.

That’s what we’re here for. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

In the original version the character played by Franco Pesce speaks with French accent and is called Plon-Plon, same nickname as Napoléon-Jérôme Bonaparte! :slightly_smiling_face:

Who plays under the pseudonym Clay Slegger? In the opening credits the name appears between Bruno Corazzari and Frank Braña, so it should be Renato Baldini (called Nobody three years before the movie with Terence Hill) but Johnson, the character played by Gennarino Pappagalli, is not secondary too. A third, less probable option is the actor playing Manassas Joe.

Beatrice Pellegrino (Trinità e Sartana figli di…) is Sarah, Belle Johnson’s maid.

A little curiosity is that there are two versions of the ‘FINE’

2 Likes

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new “SWDb 3.0” format.
Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).
For example, we have no info about any VHS releases.