Leone westerns finally announced for RC1

from thedigitalbits.com:

But it's MGM that's making us all most happy around here today, having just released details on their LONG-awaited 8-disc box set, The Sergio Leone Anthology box set, due on 6/5 (SRP $89.98 - the individual 2-disc sets will also be released separately for $26.98 each). The set will include 2-disc Collector's Editions of A Fistful of Dollars (100 mins), For a Few Dollars More (132 mins), The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (178 mins) and Duck, You Sucker! (157 mins, a.k.a. A Fistful of Dynamite). Each film is presented in fully-remastered anamorphic widescreen video. Audio will be English Dolby Digital 5.1 and Spanish and French Dolby 2.0 Surround (for Duck, You Sucker! and For a Few Dollars More), English Dolby Digital 5.1 and Spanish Dolby 2.0 Surround (for A Fistful of Dollars) and English Dolby Digital 5.1 (for The Good, the Bad and the Ugly). All four films will feature subtitles in English, French and Spanish and will be Closed Captioned. Here's a list of the extras you can expect on each:

A Fistful of Dollars will include audio commentary by film historian Sir Christopher Frayling, 5 featurettes (A New Kind of Hero, A Few Weeks in Spain, Tre Voici, Not Ready for Primetime and Location Comparisons: Intercutting Film Clips with Current Footage of Locations Used), the network prologue (additional scene), 10 radio spots, a double-bill trailer for the film and an 8-page booklet.

For a Few Dollars More will include audio commentary by Sir Christopher Frayling, 5 featurettes (A New Standard, Back for More, Tre Voici, For a Few Dollars More: The Original American Release Versions and Location Comparisons: Intercutting Film Clips with Current Footage of Locations Used), 12 radio spots, the original theatrical trailer, a double-bill trailer and an 8-page booklet.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly will include audio commentary by film historian Richard Schickel, 3 documentaries (Leone’s West, The Leone Style and The Man Who Lost The Civil War), 3 featurettes (Reconstructing The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Il Maestro: Ennio Morricone and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Il Maestro: Part Two), deleted scenes, the extended “Tuco torture” scene, The Socorro Sequence: A Reconstruction, the film’s French trailer, the original theatrical trailer, a poster art gallery, 4 Easter eggs, 5 collectible postcards and an 8-page booklet.

Finally, Duck, You Sucker! will include audio commentary by Sir Christopher Frayling, 6 featurettes (The Myth of Revolution, Sergio Donati Remembers Duck, You Sucker, Once Upon a Time in Italy, Sorting Out the Versions, Restoration Italian Style and Location Comparisons: Intercutting Film Clips with Current Footage of Locations Used), 6 radio spots, the original theatrical trailer and an 8-page booklet.

more pictures and links will follow. we encourage all potential buyers to use our amazon.com links

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=64473

full breakdown. maybe somebody wants to update the database with all that info :slight_smile:

The main difference between these and the R2 releases seems to just be the DYS title and the packaging. I just bought AFOD, FAFDM and DYS on R2 and a region-free player with it because I could wait no longer.

I guess my timing wasn’t great, but I need the player to watch other SWs too. I guess I’m just glad that A) DYS finally has a release here in North America and B) all of these movies now have special editions.

And it’s weird how GBU is already out and still widely available, yet they’ve decided to re-release it seperately as well.

[quote=“New Brandon, post:3, topic:565”]The main difference between these and the R2 releases seems to just be the DYS title and the packaging. I just bought AFOD, FAFDM and DYS on R2 and a region-free player with it because I could wait no longer.

I guess my timing wasn’t great, but I need the player to watch other SWs too. I guess I’m just glad that A) DYS finally has a release here in North America and B) all of these movies now have special editions.

And it’s weird how GBU is already out and still widely available, yet they’ve decided to re-release it seperately as well.[/quote]
What region 2 discs to you have? A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE is cut by the BBFC in the U.K!:frowning:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/0/AC082414CA2ACB4A80256FBB0020CD9B?OpenDocument

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:4, topic:565”]What region 2 discs to you have? A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE is cut by the BBFC in the U.K!:frowning:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/0/AC082414CA2ACB4A80256FBB0020CD9B?OpenDocument[/quote]

It’s the UK disc, the easiest to find on eBay. The only thing that’s been cut is six seconds of horse falls, which doesn’t bother me at all.

fafdm is cut, too. slightly, the longest and best versions available are the paramount German dvds…
but those mgm ones are next best… finally out as RC1… never ming those little cuts. well the fight scene in fafdm is kind of a big deal though…

[quote=“Sebastian, post:6, topic:565”]fafdm is cut, too. slightly, the longest and best versions available are the paramount German dvds…
but those mgm ones are next best… finally out as RC1… never ming those little cuts. well the fight scene in fafdm is kind of a big deal though…[/quote]

How much is cut from FAFDM?

uh… you might wanna check the paramount topic, there might be links or more info there, if you can’t find anything, try schnittberichte.com or let me know and i see if i can find something. as far as i know, only the paramount editions have the fully restored fight scene, and not even that one is fully uncut…

i thought where Eastwood got beaten up was cut in every print available?

It also annoys me in the gatelfold sleeve of the U.S. laserdisc of GBU is a picture of Clint in bed with the whore.

Yes I’ve seen that photo too, in Fraylings Cowboys and Europeans book if I’m not mistaken, hope they find the footage one day.
Also I’ve read a post somewhere that the original single disc UK DVD release of AFOD even though badly cut does contain the horse falling scenes, if this is true what are the BBFC up to?

the beating scene is not fully restored in any dvd as far as i know, but the most complete version is on the paramount discs.

from TLE films, who did the restoration:

On October 6, 2005, another TLEFilms project premiered; this time on the European market. Paramount Home Entertainment Germany GmbH released the "Dollar Films" by Leone; both as 2-Disc sets. A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS and FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE were mastered in High Definition 23.98psf 1080, the transfer being based on the best possible film elements available, made on a 2K Spirit Datacine. Exclusively to this release, TLEFilms restored some sequences supposed to be in the final version(s) but that were cut in almost all later made international prints. These sequences, most importantly the long missing 30 seconds of the "Beating Scene" in FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE have been restored and painstakingly color corrected to match the excellent primary HD master. You can see some images here.

On the pages of both films, A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS and FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE you can also see a high resolution images of the transfer master compared to the final TLEFilms master post color corrections & cleanup.

The two films, are available with extensive extras on Disc 2; there is also a 4-Disc set (Digipack) containing both releases as well as a limited edition, wooden boxed set (15,000 units, numbered), containing film cells, coins, a golden watch and more.

[quote=“The Halitosis Kid, post:10, topic:565”]Yes I’ve seen that photo too, in Fraylings Cowboys and Europeans book if I’m not mistaken, hope they find the footage one day.
Also I’ve read a post somewhere that the original single disc UK DVD release of AFOD even though badly cut does contain the horse falling scenes, if this is true what are the BBFC up to?[/quote]I think AFOD is ok, do you mean FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE? yes, the scenes were left in the previous disc, i hate the fucking BBFC, they are a bunch of cunts!

I could not agree more!

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:12, topic:565”]I think AFOD is ok, do you mean FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE?[/quote] Yes my post was misleading I did mean A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE (should have used DYS) :wink:

I’ll stick with my paramount editions. I purchased the German wooden boxset and it was not cheap

I have that also, beautifully packaged, my only gripe is that the watch doesn’t play the tune!

Have you seen the once upon…west boxset?

It’s right up there in terms of being beautifully and comes with harmonica.

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/once-upon-time-west-deluxe-limited-edition-3discs-p-3767.html

I’m buying that soon. :slight_smile:

i’ve got that aswell, it made me wonder if they was going to do A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE, I’m there for one if they do, and it would probably be nicer than the Japanese wooden box. :slight_smile:

If they released it as a boxset, the contents would have to include a stick of dynamite…

:slight_smile:

The beating scene makes its point without the 30 seconds. It’s kind of like if they were able to restore the whole beating scene in GBU, people already think that scene goes on too long (I think it’s perfect as it is). I understand a good portion of the regulars here are pretty big completists, so I can see how something like that might make a difference, especially in such in a major film in the genre.

I probably will end up with the “uncut” edition of FAFDM one day, as I will probably buy it again in the next generation. Of course, with how long it took them to release these special editions, I might be waiting a while! :slight_smile: