Leone Rules!

Fact is amigos, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, is head and shoulders above the others. It’s the Old West as Grand Opera! It shouldn’t be in the same category as the rest of the herd.

It's the CITIZEN KANE of Westerns!

I agree completely. It’s my favorite spaghetti western and transcends the genre.

Flynn

[quote=“Cemetary, post:1, topic:553”] Fact is amigos, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, is head and shoulders above the others. It’s the Old West as Grand Opera! It shouldn’t be in the same category as the rest of the herd.

It's the CITIZEN KANE of Westerns![/quote]

I can’t really agree. I think there are better SW’s.

I can’t really agree. I think there are better SW’s.
[/quote]

The same here !
Sergio Leone rules,thats right - with ‘The good,the bad and the ugly’

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST is the best SW i have seen so far and certainly in my top 10 westerns of all time. no other SW can touch it so far in my opinon.

It is a masterpiece & an epic. Within the genre, I judge this movie separately. It is a great movie but there are many others that if given the choice, I would watch before OUATITW. If you ask someone who doesn’t know sw’s, the name that will pop up would be GTBTU or even FFOD. In that aspect, those titles transcend the genre.

Not in Germany. If you ask here people, normal people, not fans, about the best western ever (not only SW), I’m sure it would be OuTW.

And OuTW is for the Germans the quintessential SW, just before Django and the Dollar Trilogy.

Nor in Holland or Belgium. Only recently Once upon … was shown in cinema in Eindhoven. When I had a weekend job in a cinema in that place, late 70s, early 80s, the film was shown on a regular base. I saw it once in a cinema in Antwerp too, I guess in the early 90s. I can’t remember any theatrical showing of GBU in the same period (it was shown in Brussel though during a film festival). If people find out that I write about spaghetti westerns, the first film they start talking about, is Once upon …

I guess I spoke like a typical American.

The difference is that OuTW wasn’t a big hit in the US. It made about 1 mio $ (which is not too bad for a foreign film), compared to the 6,11 mio $ for GBU (FoD 4,25 FFDM 4,34).
(All peanuts compared to US hits like Butch Cassidy 45 mio or Little Big Man 15 mio or True Grit 14 mio)

But in Germany it became one of the biggest cult hits of all times. Even in smaller towns you will still have no problem to see OuTW on the big screen (I have seen it in cinemas alone about a dozen times (uncut of course), but, sob, I have never seen one of the dollar films on something bigger than a TV screen).

Also the music of OuTW is here more popular than any other Morricone work.

:cry:

There are other films that I enjoy more. I mean no offense when saying this but what exactly is the point of this thread? That’s and actual question. Not a snyd remark.

I was thinkin the same thing. I thought the original poster was SD for a second with the capitalized movie titles.

Reminds me must view a Leone film sometime.

Well, you never know what kind of miracles happen on a cemetary. Dracula has once risen from the grave, and I don’t think that fella was more persistent than our private SD

Cemetary, take no offense.

Flynn, you are definitely very smart & astute & have made an intelligent & articulate choice in agreeing with me. You are a man who has great taste & should be honored for your superior decision making. Korano, on the other hand, I have worked hard to give this movie it’s just due & if you don’t like it as much as me then you are clearly someone who has no taste in ‘real’ movies. Why don’t you go & watch American Pie 4 or play Magic the Gathering with other people who have no life.

the part of SD will now be played by I…I…Idiot ;D

not bad for a new guy

[quote=“I…I…Idiot, post:17, topic:553”]Flynn, you are definitely very smart & astute & have made an intelligent & articulate choice in agreeing with me. You are a man who has great taste & should be honored for your superior decision making. Korano, on the other hand, I have worked hard to give this movie it’s just due & if you don’t like it as much as me then you are clearly someone who has no taste in ‘real’ movies. Why don’t you go & watch American Pie 4 or play Magic the Gathering with other people who have no life.

the part of SD will now be played by I…I…Idiot ;D

not bad for a new guy[/quote]

Thats actually not bad! I think we have a winner! LOL

Congrats I…I…Idiot, I never doubted you for a second. I knew you had it in you. We all believed you could do it!

That makes no difference.
I work for a firm in germany with 200 - 250 people,not one of them is really interested in spag western,but if they talk about spag western,they talk about the Dollar films !
I think there are a lot of opinions,but by these masterpieces of the genre,it doesn’t matter.All 5 Leone western are great.

What a shame.