Legacy of the Incas / Das Vermächtnis des Inka (Georg Marischka, 1965)

Database page: Vermächtnis des Inka, Das - The Spaghetti Western Database

Bandits want to join up with Indians to cause havoc, but really are just after some Indian treasure. Enter Guy Madison who is a sort of a friend of the Indians and is asked by the head of the country to stop the Indians getting involved with the bandits. Madison has his own reasons from the past for taking on the job.

Lacks direction at times as a couple of sub plots that are just added to pad the story out. Would have liked more screen time with Madison. Film is set in Peru and plenty of colourful costumes on display, but everyone looks a little to perfect dress wise. Viewed the Koch disc which offers english audio and english subtitles for the sections that never had english audio.[font=times new roman][/font]

Not really a western for my money as set (and partly shot by the looks of it) in Peru. But Madison is in Saturday Matinee Western hero mode so can see how some will view it as such. Comic subplot seems completely unattached to main narrative and can see why it was mostly cut from the English release. Seems to be attempting to mimic the Winnetou films for the most part but is all over the place at times making it a pretty poor film whichever way you look at it.

Seems basically a German movie to me, a sort of Karl May movie minus Karl May, with Incas instead of Aztecs, and Guy instead of Lex.
I haven’t bothered, I’ve seen enough of these movies, and they all miss this charm of the Winnetou movies
Woudn’t surprise me if it were a patchwork movie, with some stock material thrown in, this could also explain why Madison comes and goes and has not enough screetime, like Ennioo says

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:3, topic:2632”]Seems basically a German movie to me, a sort of Karl May movie minus Karl May, with Incas instead of Aztecs, and Guy instead of Lex.
I haven’t bothered, I’ve seen enough of these movies, and they all miss this charm of the Winnetou movies
Woudn’t surprise me if it were a patchwork movie, with some stock material thrown in, this could also explain why Madison comes and goes and has not enough screetime, like Ennioo says[/quote]

Yes, definitely Karl May Lite. The patchwork thing is a possibility but I suspect it’s just down to poor direction and editing. The army uniforms are the same throughout and they are very distinct so unlikely to be from different films but the comedy side plot doesn’t touch the main one at all really, unlike the Lord Castlepool stuff in the Winnetou films which, although a sideline, at least is interwoven with the main plot. These guys (a kind of nutty professor paleontologist and his helpers) never actually meet Madison except when he rescues them from the same bad guys he is fighting. Then they separate again. All seems a bit unnecessary.

But it is another Karl May movie. (Or do I missunderstand your statement?)

Those South America May movies were in Germany never as popular as the the western Mays

[quote=“Stanton, post:5, topic:2632”]But it is another Karl May movie. (Or do I missunderstand your statement?)

Those South America May movies were in Germany never as popular as the the western Mays[/quote]

I meant to say that it was a sort of imitation of the Karl May Aztecs movies. The names of the director and producers are different.
Apparently people were still trying to cash in on the Karl May popularity. Seems to me his days were over, once and for all.

Those Aztecs movies weren’t popular in Holland either, I had never seen them until recently (if they had not been part of this 4XDVD Collection with all Winnetou and some non-Winnetou movies, I wouldn’t have bothered)

Film has some impressive looking scenes shot in Macchu Picchu with many extras and colourful costumes. But that’s really the only good thing I can say about the film. Really boring film lacking suspension. Comedic characters of the needless sideplot have more screentime than Guy Madison.

Oddly enough I haven’t watched any Karl May westerns or their imitations. Should I watch this film?

No BluRay of this, weird. Anyways, page updated, contributions welcome, you know the drill.

On the related film, we also lack a good high res poster, can’t seem to find any.
Same with this one.
Both updated to the new layout and in need of contributions.