Last of the Renegades / Winnetou 2. Teil (Harald Reinl, 1964)

The Review of this movie is now in the Database:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Winnetou:_Last_of_the_Renegades_Review

Database page: Winnetou II - The Spaghetti Western Database

I have a copy of this movie , it’s in english but with hard-coded dutch subs.
The copy itself is watchable but as there is a proper released version in English, i would like to know where to order it from.

WINNETOU GREAT FILMS STEWART GRANGER LEX BARKER PIERRE BRICE 1960s

I have the magnificent GERMAN GREEN BOX SETS DVD releases with English Audio :slight_smile:
The picture quality/audio are immaculate, the packaging is exquisite. Its HEAVEN :smiley:

I read most of the Karl May Books as a Child and I liked the movies too. There are often on German TV. So from time to time I still like to watch them even today, because these Movies have been a part of my Memory. The Landscapes of Croatia and the Music of Martin Boettcher are always great. Lex Barker as Old Shatterhand and Pierre Price as Winnetou are really Soft Heros against the Italian Anti-Heros. On Winnetou II I always must think of the scary performance of Klaus Kinski as a bandit. And I always liked Terence Hill and Karin Dor.

In the Book Winnetou II a scary Scout named Old Death appeard, very sad this strange Character never found his way to the movies. I’m not quite sure but I think Santer was also in the Novel Winnetou II and then again in Winnetou III. The Stories of the books are totally different of the Movies. Only Treasure of the Silverlake, Winnetou I and “Der Ölprinz”(but without Old Surehand) have some similarities to the novels.

[quote=“Paco Roman, post:4, topic:899”]I read most of the Karl May Books as a Child and I liked the movies too. There are often on German TV. So from time to time I still like to watch them even today, because these Movies have been a part of my Memory. The Landscapes of Croatia and the Music of Martin Boettcher are always great. Lex Barker as Old Shatterhand and Pierre Price as Winnetou are really Soft Heros against the Italian Anti-Heros. On Winnetou II I always must think of the scary performance of Klaus Kinski as a bandit. And I always liked Terence Hill and Karin Dor.

In the Book Winnetou II a scary Scout named Old Death appeard, very sad this strange Character never found his way to the movies. I’m not quite sure but I think Santer was also in the Novel Winnetou II and then again in Winnetou III. The Stories of the books are totally different of the Movies. Only Treasure of the Silverlake, Winnetou I and “Der Ölprinz”(but without Old Surehand) have some similarities to the novels.[/quote]

Santer sure was in the second Winnetou novel; I think he died at the end of the third
Apparently the survival of Santer was too much for Rialto films so they killed him in the first film

When Karl May published his books, people were more used to continuing stories, with villains and storylines that were transported from one novel to another; remember Old Surehand : it takes us several books to find out what exactly is his secret
Most classic novels of writers like Dickens or Balzac were published in weekly, or monthly, installments
Today we know, of course, the Star Wars and Lord of the Rings sagas, but in the early sixties it wouldn’t have been a good surprise to most people to see a villain like Santer survive a movie.

Btw, here is the poster for this film:

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:5, topic:899”]Santer sure was in the second Winnetou novel; I think he died at the end of the third
Apparently the survival of Santer was too much for Rialto films so they killed him in the first film[/quote]

I’m not so sure, but I’ll have to check before insisting.

Reading Karl May was long, long ago.

[quote=“Lindberg, post:6, topic:899”]Btw, here is the poster for this film:

[/quote]

TACK Winnetou Lindberg ;D GREAT Film goes with great poster.

I agree with Paco’s earlier posting about these WORLD BEATING WINNETOU Films 1960s
They were technically perfect, Powerhouse Casts (Lex Barker, Stewart Granger, K.Dor)
Fantastic directors like HARALD REINL, Harald Philipp, Dreamy scenery, Fab music.
These WINNETOU FILMS are for me some of the GREATEST FILMS ever made.

Some of the above comments by SD made me smile.

The false bear at the start made for a shaky opening. But we soon get into the story. You just cannot speak about these films without a mention to the outstanding scenery. The cave with an underwater entrance is pretty good. Terence Hill and Klaus Kinski are just so young looking in this. Like the butterfly guy the best, as sort of reminds me of me when I was younger. More of an even style in this which suits the flow of the film. An enjoyable one for me.

Watched this for the first time today and was a bit taken aback by the ‘bear’ at the opening. Happily these things tend to make me enjoy a film more rather than less these days so I was set up for an enjoyable ride from then on. ;D

Nice to see Kinski in one of these and a very young Terence Hill but would have prefered a better main villain. Herbert Lom and Mario Adorf were amongst the best stuff from the first two of the series and someone of their calibre would have been nice.
Overall though a pleasant, if corny ride.

A great western classic

stars like Lex Barker, Terence Hill, Klaus Kinski, Pierre Brice, Karin Dor

loved the winnetou movies in my childhood in sweden, rented many of them, in english vers.

This film’s page in the database has been updated to the new layout. Please help correct and expand it.