Kill the Poker Player / Hai sbagliato … dovevi uccidermi subito! (Mario Bianchi, 1972)

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Hai_sbagliato…_dovevi_uccidermi_subito%21

Wow, this was almost as boring as “Price of Power,” but much more entertaining (haha, I’m entitled to my opinion!) This movie is a total mess. It’s seems to be more of a thriller/mystery/giallo than a Spaghetti Western most of the time… but it does have the SW aspects at other times. Like all of the Italian westerns of the same time, it could have just been passed of as another Demofilo Fidani film.

POSSIBLE SPOILER WARNING

The best part, hands down, even better than the fake snakes in the beginning, is when the Sheriff puts the bag of snakes on the table… we get 5 minutes of everyone nervously staring at the bag wondering what the tiny snakes will do… after a fake snake attacks poor Ivano Staccioli, then we have them on the ground. It’s great to see everyone run and hide behind couches and chairs, hoping the tiny snakes in the big room don’t get them. Amazing.

The fake snakes in this one are awful but, that aside, I found the rest of the film quite entertaining. The detective mystery element is played quite well and I was kept genuinely interested throughout as to ‘whodunnit’. Brana was good as the sheriff, Staccioli makes a great villain as usual and Woods is just fine as the well mannered, pseudo English agent.

Then of course there’s Nieves Navarro. I find it impossible not to like anything that she is in.

Very odd title, it means:

YOU MADE A MISTAKE… YOU’LL HAVE TO KILL ME AT ONCE!

Now that puzzles me

Phil sums this one up for me.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:3, topic:1626”]Very odd title, it means:

YOU MADE A MISTAKE… YOU’LL HAVE TO KILL ME AT ONCE!

Now that puzzles me[/quote]

I guess the implication is: you missed with your first shot/you’ve only wounded me, you’d better kill me or you’re a dead man. Or something.

Either way, as you say, pretty silly.

[quote=“Starblack, post:5, topic:1626”]I guess the implication is: you missed with your first shot/you’ve only wounded me, you’d better kill me or you’re a dead man. Or something.

Either way, as you say, pretty silly.[/quote]

I guess it should be read like that, at least it makes some sense if you read it that way

Watched this today… it was ok… I didn’t mind the snakes and I always like Robert Woods.

The scene before the credits with no dialogue was the highlight for me, goes for about 10 minutes… really nice opening, but gets slower paced as it goes on (and I get less interested in the mystery of the story). Sort of the same way I feel about Fast Hand is Still My Name (from the same director)

That’s pretty much how I fealt… the opening scene was awesome, but then it just got very boring. I myself did enjoy the snakes as well.

I’ve watch this one recently with my old dad. Actually I think we both consider it an enjoyable one, with some suspense… almost a crime movie. Much better than Bianchi’s Fast Hand Is Still My Name .

The Spanish title is also weird but actually cool: La muerta llega arrastandose
Something like “Death comes dragging”, a nice illusion to the snakes always present in that town.

I’d buy it if a proper DVD came out.

The Audiodubbed version (from Broadcast) of this film is nearly as good as a DVD release!

I do not know this movie. But it is certainly not difficult to be better than “Fast Hand Is Still My Name”. :wink: ;D

Just uploaded the VHS opening/theme:

Very odd title, it means: YOU MADE A MISTAKE... YOU'LL HAVE TO KILL ME AT ONCE!

Now that puzzles me

I guess the implication is: you missed with your first shot/you've only wounded me, you'd better kill me or you're a dead man. Or something.

Either way, as you say, pretty silly.

The title means “You made a mistake… you should have killed me immediately!” (i.e. when you’ve had the opportunity).

I guess so, I just didn’t get it the first time I saw the title

There’s another one that is quite bizarre, but I can’t think of it right now

Making a copy of this for a friend so rewatched it. This time the fandubbed Spanish TV print which is much much better than my old VHS rip. Consequently a better experience but my feelings about the film remain essentially the same. Entertaining, low on action for the most part but intriguing whodunnit type story. The snakes are still the highlight though. Which is saying something from me when Nieves Navarro is on screen.

This one tries to be a little bit different with all the mystery elements and stuff, but the director seems unable to make a tight and coherent film. The opening sequence was quite promising I must admit, echoing some of the fellers above. All in all, a rather weak effort that showed occasionally some potential. Points lost for Woods’ haircut which annoyed the hell out of me.

Robert Woods himself told me that it’s not among his favorite westerns, and no, it’s not a great movie, but I found it quite enjoyable. A western-detective movie with lots of snakes …

READ all about it HERE:

Nice read as usual, why no review on swdb?

1 Like

I’ll add it to the database next week

1 Like

The Poker Player and his snakes have arrived in the Database:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Kill_the_Poker_Player_Review

1 Like