JONAH HEX (movie) (2010)

Comic anti-hero “Hex” comes to big screen

By Borys KitTue Jul 24, 2:53 AM ET

Warner Bros. Pictures is saddling up to bring DC Comics’ Western anti-hero comic book “Jonah Hex” to the big screen, with the writer/directors of the thriller “Crank,” on board to adapt.

Hex, known for having the right side of his face disfigured and wearing a Confederate army uniform, was a rough-and-tumble gunslinger and part-time bounty hunter whose adventures always ended in blood.

“Hex” first appeared in the early 1970s in the issues of “All-Star Western” before graduating to his own series in 1977 that ran for about 10 years. A new series was launched in 2005. The character also had a run in the 1990s that combined the Western genre with supernatural elements.

It will be developed by “Crank” filmmakers Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor, who are not making a straight-ahead Western but plan to develop the character with some of the supernatural overtones in the hopes of creating a franchise.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

where’s our friend JONAH HEX when you need him? haha

I bought a compilation book of Jonah Hex, over 400 pages of old Hex comics from 70’s. I think the stories aren’t anything special, they become boring very quickly (and I have read only half of it so far).
But I think it could work very well as a movie.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:3, topic:669”]I bought a compilation book of Jonah Hex, over 400 pages of old Hex comics from 70’s. I think the stories aren’t anything special, they become boring very quickly (and I have read only half of it so far).
But I think it could work very well as a movie.[/quote]has it got a green cover and all the stories are in black and white?

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:4, topic:669”]has it got a green cover and all the stories are in black and white?[/quote]Yep. That’s the one.

I didn’t realize that it was black and white when i ordered it.

Needless to say im looking forward to this :wink:

Taylor: Jonah Hex Script Complete
Source:shocktillyoudrop.
March 21, 2008

In just a little over a month, powerhouse writing-directing team Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor (Game) begin shooting a sequel to their pumped-up, kinetic actioner Crank. Following that, it’s Jonah Hex, the DC comics western steeped in the supernatural (original announcement).

“I think it’s the best script we’ve written,” Taylor told me during a late-night soiree in Hollywood thrown in anticipation of Pathology, a film he co-penned with Neveldine. Warner Bros. apparently loves the script and understands the tone the pair have brought to this tale of true grit and blood - and if you’ve seen Crank and Pathology, you know all bets are off and you’re in for a unpredictable, f’ed-up ride.

Asked if there was any concern over comparisons between the upcoming “Hex” and Neil Marshall’s recently announced horror western Sacrilege, Taylor expresses no worries. “I’m not sure what that film’s going to be like, but ours is less horror.” Still, he promises, it’s going to be plenty twisted.

I’ll really be interested to know who they will get to play Hex. And I wonder how disfigured he will be. If he looks anything like the comic strip character then he’ll be pretty gross. I bet they tone down his facial scarring for the movie. Maybe not…At any rate, I can’t wait for this.

Josh Brolin is Jonah Hex?
Source: Hollywood Elsewhere
October 9, 2008

Hollywood Elsewhere reports that Josh Brolin, who can be seen in next week’s W., has signed on to star in Warner Bros. Pictures’ Jonah Hex. This has yet to be confirmed by the studio, so stay tuned.

From Crank writers/directors Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor, the film is based on the DC Comics title in which Hex, known for having the right side of his face disfigured and wearing a Confederate army uniform, was a rough-and-tumble gunslinger and part-time bounty hunter whose adventures always ended in blood.

“Jonah Hex,” created by by writer John Albano and artist Tony DeZuniga, first appeared in the early 1970s in the issues of “All-Star Western” before graduating to his own series in 1977 that ran for about 10 years. A new series was launched in 2005. The character also had a run in the 1990s that combined the Western genre with supernatural elements.

I think Brolin could definitely pull off the character, but I’m just hoping they don’t turn it into an over the top action/stunt fest like “Crank” was. And I hope they keep it in a realistic western setting as a revenge tale and not go the supernatural route like the comic did in the 90s. However, I’m betting the supernatural bent is the way they sold it to the studios.

I really like Josh Brolin, but at this point I really wish Thomas Jane had got the part. One, he really wanted it, enough to make those fake mockups as himself as Hex, where as Brolin doesn’t really seem to care at all for the character, and two I feel Jane has not been lucky. I really like him in films, but he hasn’t had a role that has aloud him any clout at all. I mean Killshot’s been held up for like 3 years.

But still, Brolin did mention SPaghetti westerns in a recent interview which shows he at least has some understanding of what could make this cool.

Horton Helmer Directing Jonah Hex
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
January 6, 2009

Jimmy Hayward, who directed the animated Horton Hears a Who! will make his live-action debut with Jonah Hex, the Warner Bros. western based on the DC Comics character.

Josh Brolin is attached to star in the film, which previously had Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor (Crank) on board as directors. The duo, who also wrote the script, bowed out over creative differences in November.

The studio hopes to put the movie into production in March or April.

The character of Hex, known for having the right side of his face disfigured and wearing a Confederate army uniform, was a rough-and-tumble gunslinger and part-time bounty hunter whose adventures always ended in blood. One incarnation of his comic book series saw the Western genre combined with supernatural elements, and it’s this aspect that was featured in Neveldine and Taylor’s script.

Andrew Lazar’s Mad Chance and Akiva Goldsman’s Weed Road are producing.

Oh yeah baby!!!

I hope Joe R. Lansdale would be involved in some way. “Jonah Hex: Two-Gun Mojo” is one of the best western comics ever and “Riders of the Worm and Such” is great too. Jonah Hex of Lansdale’s comics make Django look like a nice guy in comparison!

Josh Brolin… not a bad choice.

http://www.movieweb.com/gallery/PGhephhkmJZMko

i’ll be watching this

http://www.moviegab.net/?p=3657

ay caramba

btw we also had multiple topics for this. merged

Looking foward for this one.

Megan Fox as a whore…hmm…

is it a documentary? :stuck_out_tongue: