Johnny Yuma (Romolo Guerrieri, 1966)

I hadn’t even thought of this Lacanian mirror identity thing! Brilliant! (my friend the Psy-an lover would be in seventh heaven with this reading). The Mexican side-kick was the b) influence I referred to, you’d expect the character more in Sabata/Sartana movie, and yes, he got a bit on my nerves too. I’m not too keen on Damon either, although I found him more acceptable here than in JOHNNY ORO (Ringo and his golden pistol) I watched a year (or so) ago on TCM.

If possible, I would give the film 3,5 (still in doubt too). This Guerrieri has a fresh directing style I like. He has a very good sense of framing too : I liked his use of mirrors, open windows etc. to create surprising effects. DIECIMILA … was inventively directed too, and had Garko and Camaso as leads.

As a result of this rekindled thread and waking up ata stupidly early hour this morning I rewatched Johnny Yuma to reassess my thoughts on it.
I have to say it is a bit jumpy in parts (as has been pointed out by a few here), a bit cheesy here, very gritty there. Bar room brawl doesn’t fit for sure. But over all I really like this film. Gothic, well paced and with an excellent score. And Rosalba Neri is superb as the sultry, evil vamp who even gets her pet parrot worked up. Lawrence Dobkin is also good here despite my feeling he doesn’t really feel at home in a western setting and Damon is good enough without being outstanding.
Let’s face it, if all Spaghettis were judged on logic, continuity and high production values there wouldn’t be many worth watching. But we love them for their mood and all round feel and in that regard Johnny Yuma is an all out winner for me. It’s a bit intangible as to exactly why, but I love it.
And that theme song! One of the very best and most unforgettable.
It’s playing in your head right now, admit it.

Oh Johnny, is a reinless horse
Tomorrow he’ll be on his way…

1 Like

I agree with these sentiments completely … which is why despite all the inconsistencies with it’s partner on the WE disc - BG,TDaaW - I absolutely loved watching it. And in JY, as you say … Rosalba Neri, the horny parrot, the song … the intangibility - all worth the entrance price.

I agree with everything what was said in the last 5 postings about Damon and about Guerierri (real name Girolami), and also with most about the film, except for the song (don’t like any of them in SWs).

Only difference: I rate him a bit higher.

MARK DAMON 1935- 1960s Leading Actor Producer

I DO NOT agree with what I see as unwarranted criticism of MARK DAMON , who has
made a number of superlative, top notch, quality SWs, Majestic Gothic HORROR and more.

Mark Damon is a handsome, leading man, sincere actor, credible, romantic, heroic, flexible

What is this “a-ss hole” and “cheesy” load of unfair accusatory CR-AP ? All about ?

If MARK DAMON is acting macho/heroic/charismatic then that is exactly what’s REQUIRED !

There is no place in SWs for ambiguous, wimpy, spineless “half men” or “girly men” ???

I think “cheesy” is an abused and stupid word if you mean HEROIC or MELODIC say so
to say “cheesy” sounds like you are a hard man, full of drugs and violence talking soft >:(

I see RED and RAGE whenever some half-wit describes a song as “cheesy” ??
The correct word he/she/it is looking for is actually MELODIC or CATCHY so SAY IT ! :’(

Regarding the “a-ss hole” jibe I think that is much more appropriate for describing

Tomas Milian Terence Hill Bud Spencer and similar fodder :’(

LEAVE MARK DAMON alone he is an excellent, innovative, dependable leading man :o

MARK DAMON Top ACTOR 1960s/1970s :

Fall Of The House Of Usher 60, Black Sabbath 64 , Ringo And His Golden Pistol 66,
Death At Owell Rock 68 , Requiescant 68 , Train To Durango 68, Young Evil Savage 68

Norman Swordsman 72, Crypt Of The Living Dead 73 and many many more. :smiley:

That is a superlative list of top Film credits.

JOHNNY YUMA 1966 Mark Damon Rosalba Neri Lawrence Dobkin

This bloody revenger of a man fighting for his rights/inheritance is optimum and pleasing

My vote for JOHNNY YUMA 1966 is 16 out of 20 . It is near my TOP 20 Sws.

Johnny Yuma is a fav of mine for all the good reasons already discussed ;D .

Exactly Ennio

A winning Film , a top leading man Mark Damon

A beautiful memorable pleasing SONG is pure heaven in Johnny Yuma 66.

I detest and lower the volume on any film that has a loud, noisy, ear hurting soundtrack :’(

JOHNNY YUMA 1966 Heavily Recommended DVD. :smiley:

Have you seen him camping it up in REQUIESCANT ? He’s just A BIT ‘girly’ :-* in that …
(And my marks for cheese are on the WAYEODATM? thread)

MMM Deary me :-* :-* that is bang out of order if it was like that :-* :-* :smiley:

I have REQUIESCANT /KILL AND PRAY 1968 in Italian Original and English and have not
really noticed any “campy” MIS-Behaviour by anyone ???

Maybe I will watch again and be on the look-out reverend !

Yes my remarks on “cheesy” and “ars-holes” are meant in GENERAL as a matter of policy , I am not having a go at anybody in particular on here…or am I ?.. ;D

I was just going to post some thoughts on this one [i just watched it], when i noticed that this particular thread has got a big amount of brillaint posts of our dearly missed friend SARTANA DJANGO BALLADS aka. “Wash your mouth with sulphuric acid”. Now i’m too busy trying not to laugh out loud to post something that would make any sense ;D

Haha I’m laughing at this board as well. he had a really unique way of posting. Lots of capital letters, a total disregard for proper grammar. I just loved how he used alot of run-on sentences and utilized more smiley faces than punctuations, not to mention a ofbeat sense of humer and a total lack of logical reasoning. He would make a lousy lawyer. The way he’d go off on anyone who dared disrespect the likes of Jeff Cameron. The angry emoticon filled rants…

Calling Bud SPencer obese haha. A classic in the true sense of the word.

Ah the good old days, gotta love it!.

A few priceless gems from this thread:

“This bloody revenger of a man fighting for his rights/inheritance is optimum and pleasing”

“A beautiful memorable pleasing SONG is pure heaven in Johnny Yuma 66.”

“I think “cheesy” is an abused and stupid word if you mean HEROIC or MELODIC say so
to say “cheesy” sounds like you are a hard man, full of drugs and violence talking soft”

“LEAVE MARK DAMON alone he is an excellent, innovative, dependable leading man”

He was often rude and inappropriate and offensive and disruptive to the board, but more often than not, his posts were nothing more than harmless idiocy. The village idiot if there ever was one.
Ah Dear old SD, the board will never be the same without you.

In a way he was one of the LEADING MAN he seemed to love that much, well quite obvious for a closet gay like he was.

Really :o , Johnny Yuma ??? or Mark Damon :wink:

I think he’s refering to SD.

SARTANA DJANGO Always pleasing, heroic LEADING MAN of SWDB 2007 who hated sleep inducing arty farty dramas ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Aaww…you’re making me miss him :smiley: :wink:

Ok, so now i will try to post some thoughts related to Johnny Yuma :stuck_out_tongue:
I found the main character an irritating asshole. Sometimes such character can be interesting when played well - like Arizona Colt played by Giulano Gemma - but Mark Damon just plays him in that asshole-macho way, so i really couldn’t care for the character. Rosalba Neri was hot, but her character was such a bitch, that almost cheered when Mark Damon bitchslapped her. I liked Lawrence Dobkin’s character a lot. The last 30 minutes are really great in this one. I especially liked the outburst of sadistic violence when Johnny takes his revenge.Tha mian song is incredibly cheesy and at the same chatchy. The rest of the music is OK, i didn’t find it as great as some other forumites. This one gets 8/10 from me

1 Like

Yeah I agree Lawrence dobkin was great

I absolutely loved this film. To be honest I only heard of this recently and i just cant understand why its not more well known. I agree that Lawrence Dobkin was great in this. Rosalba Neri’s Samantha is a great femme fatale. I also agree with a few people on this thread in saying that the mexican sidekick was a bit annoying. Nevermind, all in all an absolute classic!

1 Like

Haha. That’s why I liked Mark Damon in this. He was not so irritating to me. I liked his jokey manner (as exeplified by the “sale” of his horse to Saturno Cerra at the start).
Rosabla Neri’s role is my favorite by her in a Spaghetti. I loved her parrot and her bitchslappin’

I loved her sadistic brother with those incongurous bat-wing chaps.

Even with your criticisms you still gave this a 8 out of 10. The mark of a classic!
“Johnny Yuma don’t goooo…”

Yeah, i liked it a lot even with those shortcomings. But i’m also very generous when it comes to rating SWs.
Btw, i can’t stand my ‘mini review’ when i look at it now. I tend to make a lot of typos when i write them and i forget to correct them :stuck_out_tongue: