John Wayne

Sure … I’ve watched it loads of times, since in was first on TV, when I was a kid - I enjoyed it as an adventure with interesting characters and some witty dialogue.

Many people are put off by Wayne’s American hero status, and just find him a pain in the ass - and though I don’t like his politics, or ridiculous over the top patriotism … I can ignore that up to a point (don’t watch ‘The Alamo’ ) and just enjoy the old fashioned escapism.

Fair enough. I think I came in to this movie expecting alot since it was my first Wayne western and that he won an Oscar for it. I really didn’t enjoy the characters in the movie especially Mattie since I found her annoying.

It did have some good dialogue here and there and the cat was the best part.

I’ve read that the Duke himself was not pleased with the film.

She’s absolutely meant to be - the biggest pain in the ass in cinema history. But that’s a key element in the film, that she’s not afraid to take on any of the blustering swaggering tough guys she encounters … and they in turn have no idea how to deal with her.
Maybe it will improve for you with a 2nd viewing. High expectations on a movie are rarely fulfilled, plus certain types of film, you need to be in the mood for. ‘True Grit’ to me is a fun Sunday afternoon movie. Well made and entertaining … but it’s not going to be everyone’s taste.

I find that 100 greatest all time movie, critics choice’s can be a big let down too … again, high expectations on my part.

I’m pretty sure they gave Duke the Oscar out of pity, but It’s great that he finally got one.

Are you that pissed that The Duke beat out two Brits for the Oscar?..C’mon Dude, get over it.

2 Likes

No, I think you’re giving me too much credit for assuming I knew who else was nominated :joy:

1 Like

All I’m going to say is that the color of green doesn’t look good on you.:rofl:

Yeah I mean who would’ve thought someone would post something just to get a reaction? That’s unheard of :astonished:

:+1:
Now,… you should watch the Oscar clip over and over much like you do for " Shoot the Living and Pray for the Dead":laughing:

1 Like

For the record I’m glad he won it and didn’t say I didn’t agree with him winning. I just gave my (controversial?) two cents as to why he may have won.

I’m afraid I can’t interupt such valuable watching time :grimacing:
I’m currently saving up to get every frame of that film tattooed on the backs of my eyelids.

3 Likes

I love Duke’s movies. I’m sad many do not :frowning:

His best are The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The Shootist.

1 Like

His best, or your favourites?

He made so many good films! The Shootist is definitely up there. The Comancheros is probably my personal favourite because it’s the one I watched the most as a kid and it has all of the right elements for my taste. I do wish that Lee Marvin had more screen time though.

2 Likes

I’ve always loved John Wayne. When I was a kid, we had a farm but lived in town and I had a theater not more than 100 yards from my house. It was managed by my best friend’s brother who let me sit in the closed balcony for any movie I wanted to see, regardless of what it was rated.

I got to see several of his final films from that balcony. I can remember seeing The Cowboys, The Train Robbers (in which I saw Ann-Margret for the first time :heart_eyes:), Cahill U.S. Marshal, Rooster Cogburn and the Lady (which has since been shortened to just “Rooster Cogburn” for some reason), and the classic The Shootist (which I believe I saw three times, if I remember correctly). I can also remember seeing McQ and Brannigan but the attempts at cashing in on the “Dirty Harry” phenomenon didn’t do much for me. It was always the westerns I lived for at that age. :wink:

I can also remember one time that Flame of the Barbary Coast came on TV. At that age, I found the film to be a bit slow until the San Francisco earthquake started. It was at that point that I started to believe I felt the house begin to shake. I at first wrote it off to my imagination but it continued to get stronger and stronger. It turns out we were having a real earthquake at the time the earthquake was happening in the movie! It was nothing major…a 3. something or another if I remember correctly but it definitely added something to my movie watching experience. And to think, people nowadays pay extra when seeing a movie in the theater just to have the same experience I got for free. :laughing:

6 Likes

Love this film! Underrated

2 Likes

My favourite John Wayne movies:

The Searchers
The Shootist
True Grit
Red River
Big Jake
The Cowboys
The Alamo
Rio Bravo
The Sons of Katie Elder
El Dorado
Chisum

1 Like

He’s the whole reason I am even into westerns now. Because as a kid I used to watch them as my mum is a big fan and had all his movies. I love John Wayne, he’s the epitome of cowboy for me, and where it all started.

4 Likes

Haven’t seen it since it was on INSP years ago. Like to see it again. It was Duke in his violent phase.

When somebody says “best” they mean favorites. :grimacing:

Yeah, who needs a broad vocabulary … completely overrated.