John Wayne

Was wondering if anyone would pick up the reference :smiley:

[quote=“autephex, post:21, topic:3351”]Was wondering if anyone would pick up the reference :D[/quote]I’ve seen Repo Man loads of times, watched it frequently in my teens ;D

The Hell he was!

fave 5 Wayne westerns… in no particular order…

Hondo
Rio Bravo
The Searchers
Red River
3 Godfathers

I really need to see The Spoilers again tho. The fistfight with Randolph Scott and the interplay with Marlene Dietrich might realign my list.

I really need to see this 3 GODFATHERS. It’s mentioned quite a few times. My interest is definitely piqued.

Can't stand the man, it really annoys me when people go on about "The Duke" being the best western actor ever... he's shit!

Eastwood is the main man.

I agree 100%.

Eastwood surely did crank out some fine films. I, too, prefer him to John Wayne.

While I also prefer Eastwood, that doesn’t mean Wayne isn’t great in some films. And I’d claim that Eastwood definitely modeled some of his acting on Wayne’s. :wink:

The Spoilers isn’t top notch John Wayne material though, even if it does have Randolph Scott and Marlene Dietrich in it.

The Spoilers is Wayne’s best western in the time between Stagecoach (1939) and Fort Apache (1948). In these years Wayne was a star, but not a superstar, and played mostly in small scale action films, mostly made by mediocre directors.

Actually The Spoilers is not a real Wayne western compared to the typical Wayne western, actually it is Dietrich’s film.

I just saw a Rawhide-episode yesterday, ‘The Shambling Man’, guest-starring Victor McLaglen, which featured a fistfight with him and Eastwood… thereby forging a link between Eastwood and Wayne. (it was directed by Andy McLaglen)

fave special interest Wayne-films, in no particular order;

Hatari (big-game hunting)
Fightin’ Seabees (ww2)
Donovan’s Reef (beach-bum)
The Quiet Man (romance)
Big Jim McLain (crime) equal with McQ and Brannigan

[quote=“Bible Joe, post:28, topic:3351”]And I’d claim that Eastwood definitely modeled some of his acting on Wayne’s. ;)[/quote]Like what? Riding a horse, wearing a hat and shooting a gun? :smiley:

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:3, topic:3351”]Can’t stand the man, it really annoys me when people go on about “The Duke” being the best western actor ever… he’s shit!

Eastwood is the main man.[/quote]

I totally agree.

And I’ve seen a number of his most popular films, the best of which was True Grit (IMO). And he wasn’t even the reason I liked it a bit. I’ve never liked John Wayne as an actor, and never understood why so many people consider him the quintessential screen idol/western movie star…or non-western, for that matter. It was an absolute joke to cast him as Genghis Khan.

Funny enough, my niece’s mother-in-law used to be friends with one of John Wayne’s daughters as a teen.

Never understand the criticism about Duke’s acting.The westerns for many decades weren’t a vehicle for great performances ahead other genres.
Also he gave us the opportunity to see him in westerns with different style from comedies to pure action or dramas.
Also you can see how his acting was different from movie to movie independently if the result was the expected.
I understand the fact a lot of people don’t like him for many reasons but to be the topdog of the genre for many decades than no one else is something memorable.

My top 10:

Rio Bravo
El Dorado
Chisum
The Sons of Katie Elder
Cahill U.S. Marshal
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Big Jake
3 Godfathers
Cowboys
True Grit

I like the guy, he made his share of classics.

As his ‘pot belly’ grew bigger it was sometimes hard to take the guy serious in the type of roles he played.

I’m more of an Audie Murphy fan I do like John Wayne in The Quiet Man, Shepherd of the Hills, and Hell Fighters only one of which could be counted as a western

I’ve watched True Grit and didn’t enjoy it. I hope all Wayne westerns aren’t like True Grit.

It’s probably one of his most accessible and entertaining westerns, even for non western fans … so maybe you should save yourself some pain and avoid the others. :smile:

Can I asked why you enjoyed it? I’ve watched westerns that date back before True Grit and after and had much more enjoyable experience. True Grit just didn’t do it for me for some reason.

Come see a fat old man sometime.

1 Like