Joe is "Monco" in the "Dollars" trilogy?

Wiki says that “Joe” is also referred to as “Monco” and/or “Manco”, but does not specifically say where or how. So, is the name “Monco” or “Manco” specifically used in the soundtrack of an Italian or Spanish language version of these films? or is he only named that way in the credits, or possibly a screenplay? I don’t recall that name used in an English language version.

Thanks.

He’s called Monco, but only in For a Few Dollars More.
To keep in track with their “Man with No Name” advertising campaign the only scene where he was called Monco was cut out in the USA. But it was already dubbed, and is now part of the uncut DVDs.

Which scene mentions “Monco”. Possibly I don’t have the uncut DVD.

At the beginning when Van Cleef collects his first bounty a Sheriff tells him about another bounty hunter named Monco (Maybe Manco in the English version). I’m not sure if this is the only scene in which his name is mentioned.

In fact I’m not sure if the above scene was really cut out of US prints. I thought I had read this somewhere, but I’m not sure anymore.

In the German version the Sheriff instead giving Eastwood a name he only describes him as a man " who lets one arm hanging" after which the film cuts to the hanging arm. That’s the way how Leone tells his stories.
But I don’t know the dialogue of the Italian version for this scene. Too bad the Paramount and MGM DVDs don’t have the original language.

In the original US versions of FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE there was this scene:

Lee Van Cleef has just collected the bounty for Guy Calloway. He sees a poster for Red Cavanaugh on the wall of the sheriffs office. He asks the sheriff, “What can you tell me about Cavanaugh?”.
The sheriff says, “About a week ago, he was seen at White Rocks”.
Van Cleef says thanks and turns to leave.
The sheriff then tells Van Cleef that someone else has already asked him about Cavanaugh.
When Van Cleef asks him who it was, the sheriff responds: “I’d never seen him before”.
As soon as that line is delivered, the original US versions cut directly to Eastwood’s entrance scene…where he is walking along just as it starts to rain.
This was the version that played in the film’s original theatrical release and on TV.

In the newer, so-called “uncut” version, which is now available on DVD…the scene is the same expect the sheriff says “I’d never seen him before…his name is Manco”.

There is an argument that has been going on for many years as to whether this character is known as Manco or Monco. As it turns out, after much discussion with people directly involved in the making of the film (Aldo Sambrell being one among many)—the names are pretty much identical in meaning.
In Spanish “Manco” means a one-armed man.
In Italian “Monco” means the same.
Basically, they refer to Eastwood seeming to do everything with his left hand so that he has his right hand free to draw his gun in a flash, if needed.
Witness how he does everything with only his left hand in his introduction scene in the movie.
He deals cards with his left, fights Red Cavanaugh with only his left hand…and so on.
When it comes time to draw and shoot the three men that come to Red’s rescue…then he uses his right hand.

So, yes…he is Manco (or Monco) in this film. It is not a name so much as a descriptive nick-name (like Blondie in GBU).

Incidentally, the best DVD version available of FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE is the German Paramount release.
It contains a bit of dialogue at the end of the scene where Indio and his men are beating up Col. Mortimer and Manco, that is inexplicably missing from the so-called uncut, remastered version that MGM released in the USA and the UK.

Unfortunately, all of the available versions (except for the Spanish DVD I picked up in Almeria a few years ago) have an out of sync soundtrack in Eastwood’s entrance scene which places a loud clap of thunder several beats before Eastwood looks up and we see his face for the first time.
Leone intended that clap of thunder to occur dramatically as soon as we see Eastwood’s face.
A great cinematic moment that is spoiled by the soundtrack glitches.
Again, this error is inexplicable…because the thunder clap occurs at the appropriate time in the Spanish version I have, and it used to happen at the right time in the old MGM/UA fullscreen VHS versions, too.

Anyway…
As if you couldn’t tell…FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE is my all-time favorite Leone film and one I have literally seen over 270 times since the 1970’s.

Hope my answer has helped, guys!

PS= Stanton, he is also called Manco (or Monco) by Indio in the scene where he is speaking to Nino after they have let Mortimer and Manco loose.

Indio: “Nino, how long have you known that Manco was a bouny killer?”

@ Chris

That’s what I have heard and read too

One thing: in Italian ‘Monco’ means mutilated, and it’s mainly used in reference to mutilated war veterans. I have always had the feeling that Leone wanted to say something with this, that there’s some hidden meaning, but I don’t get it. Is Monco supposed to be a war veteran? One who’s not physically but mentally mutilated? Does this mental wound mirror the pain of the older man, Colonel Mortimer, who is mentally suffering too, and has a past in the army as well? I don’t know, I spoke to several Italians about this, a nobody came up with another idea, but they were convinced the name referred to a war history.

Howdy, Scherp!

Yes, I’ve heard all of this before, too.
I don’t know what to think about it, personally.
Spanish actors involved with the making of the film maintain that the original script had Eastwood’s character as Manco (Aldo said even in the Italian version of the script he saw it was written as Manco, not Monco); but, when the film premiered in Italy it had been dubbed in as Monco.
Aldo told me that since Eastwood’s character was always in the American Southwest along the border of Mexico the script-writers wanted a Mexican (Spanish) nickname for Eastwood’s character…thus it was always Manco.
But, I am not sure about that.

So, who knows?
I will say, however, that the use of the gauntlet as some sort of wrist-support by Eastwood’s character lends the war-mutilated reference some credence, don’t you think?

Interesting to contemplate.