Jess Franco

I just ordered Franco’s Count Dracula. Can’t wait to see Kinski as Renfield.

VENUS IN FURS 1969 JAMES DARREN MARIA ROHM Directed By Jess Franco

One of the BEST CLASSIC Franco Thriller/Horror/Sleazy/Exploitation Films GREAT CAST :slight_smile:

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:1, topic:579”]Do we have any Jess Franco fans on this forum?

Good ol’ Jess is one strange director who has done 160 films so far (according to imdb) and I guess he’s still working on films. I think I’ve seen only 10 of his films or less but I think I’ve seen mainly the better ones. Mostly his films are exploitation but Franco is such a artistic director which makes 'em in a way more interesting but also kinda strange mixture of commercial exploitation and serious film making.

My favorites so far:
Venus in Furs
Marquis de Sade’s Justine
Love letters of a Portugese nun

[quote author=Bill san Antonio link=topic=650.msg10103#msg10103 date=1177920668]
Do we have any Jess Franco fans on this forum?

Good ol’ Jess is one strange director who has done 160 films so far (according to imdb) and I guess he’s still working on films. I think I’ve seen only 10 of his films or less but I think I’ve seen mainly the better ones. Mostly his films are exploitation but Franco is such a artistic director which makes 'em in a way more interesting but also kinda strange mixture of commercial exploitation and serious film making.

My favorites so far:
Venus in Furs
Marquis de Sade’s Justine
Love letters of a Portugese nun

I’m very eager to see his Count Dracula with Cristopher Lee and Klaus Kinski. Anyone seen it?
[/quote] Anyone seen it?[/quote]

I have it on VHS but unfortunately it does not copy. It’s the UK release so i think it is cut. Kinski is superb in this movie.

I only have the ones he made with Kinski.

Jack The Ripper
Justine
Count Dracula
Venus In Furs

One thing i love about Franco he shoots in the most beautiful locations , the use of historical buildings (esp, in Justine) & the countryside scenery is fantastic and breathtaking.

Well, this Count Dracula is one of the worst horror flics I have ever seen. Plenty to laugh here and there.

Viewed Bloody Moon the other day, but think I have grown out of alot of ‘slasher’ films these days.

JESUS FRANCO is one of the World’s most Talented/Prolific Film Directors

Jesus Franco has a most impressive Career CV of Horror/Thrillers/Exploitation always
using beautiful/sexy often clothes-less actresses, gory/bloody plots to thrill, top scenery,
close up camera work often Franco himself photographas/acts in many of his top films :slight_smile:

JESUS FRANCO means QUALITY QUANTITY NUDITY :smiley: GLAMOUR EXCITEMENT

I’ve only seen his Sadomania so I know my opinion about him could change but you must be pretty crazy if you mention “quality” in the same sentence as that film…

Yes, most of Franco’s films are awful. The cheapness mostly shows, you have to look closely to spot an idea in plot and directing.

But the girls are nice.

JESS FRANCO is HIGH QUALITY FILM MAKING

I tell you WHY I say that :

JESS FRANCO has never been involved with any awful/dull/pretentious/"arty"Farty/Crappy
BORING TALKY DRAMAS that twisted critics like Loser Halliwell love but any intelligent
discerning viewer REJECTS 100%. Franco SPITS on Lurid/cheap/dramas, GIRLS Franco Yes
Rotten “oscar” winning bores like Kramer Vs Kramer 79, Manhattan 77 Franco NEVER !!
The SPANISH DIRECTORS Like FRANCO, ROMERO MARCHENTS give viewers THRILLS :smiley:

JESS FRANCO has always set out to give Cinema Goers EXCITING EXPLOITATION FILMS
that take you away from today’s dull dreary dramas of ordinary life into FANTASY WORLDS

I have many/most of this GREAT Spanish Director’s Films JESS FRANCO he is the MAN :slight_smile:

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:50, topic:579”]JESS FRANCO is HIGH QUALITY FILM MAKING

I tell you WHY I say that :

JESS FRANCO has never been involved with any awful/dull/pretentious/"arty"Farty/Crappy
BORING TALKY DRAMAS… Franco SPITS on Lurid/cheap/dramas…[/quote]
Franco is a big fan of Orson Welles and his BORING TALKY DRAMAS. Franco did some second unit work for Welles’ classic Falstaff and finished his “lost” film Don Quijote. Franco also admires LEFT-WING ART HOUSE FILMMAKER Jean-Luc Godard and many Franco movies have “hidden” tributes to films of SURREALIST Luis Buñuel. Franco’s early films like Queen of the Tabarin Club and Vampiresas 1930 are DRAMAS and MUSICALS. His little-seen Al Otro Lado Del Espejo is often compared to L’Avventura of ITALIAN NEOREALIST Michelangelo Antonioni. Franco’s latest TALKY DRAMA is Broken Dolls (1999).

Hmm, maybe I should try Franco again, if this inferior Dracula isn’t one of his better efforts.

Films with tasty titles like Vampyros lesbos or Eugenie de Sade or Venus in Furs can’t be bad, actually.

I am aware of JESS FRANCO’s Left Leaning Politics and his connections plus early career.

My POINT is that JESS FRANCO’s FINISHED OUTPUT in his BEST PERIOD 1960/1970s is

HORROR/CULT/EXPLOITATION/THRILLERS/GIALLOS/FANTASY ETC

That is the Prolific Artistic Body Of HIGH QUALITY Work that millions fans VALUE/LOVE
Jess Franco is NOT know for subtitled, “arty farty” TALKY BORING DRAMAS even though as posted by Silver Wolf he was influenced, did some work etc for these sort of films.

I should say that I am NOT against DRAMA as such because even in GREAT SW I always
value/prefer the CHARACTERS/RELATIONSHIPS over the action/gunfight sequences.

What I strongly DISLIKE/OBJECT to is those films that lack:
ALL MYSTERY/SUSPENSE/FANTASY/THRILLS and are solely "true life awful talky dramas ???

VENUS IN FURS 1969 JAMES DARREN MARIA ROHM is a WORK OF EROTIC ART :-*

Franco is psychedelic :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:53, topic:579”]What I strongly DISLIKE/OBJECT to is those films that lack:
ALL MYSTERY/SUSPENSE/FANTASY/THRILLS and are solely "true life awful talky dramas[/quote]

True life dramas are the good and interesting ones

It’s “Hollywood” or pretentious “Art-House” dramas that are the uninteresting or boring ones

I don’t think you know anything else since those are the ones you constantly refer to

Just for your information SD :slight_smile:

[quote=“Lindberg, post:55, topic:579”]True life dramas are the good and interesting ones

It’s “Hollywood” or pretentious “Art-House” dramas that are the uninteresting or boring ones

I don’t think you know anything else since those are the ones you constantly refer to

Just for your information SD :)[/quote]

JESS FRANCO is a MASTER of CULT/EXPLOITATION Film often shot on small budgets :slight_smile:

I WISH I did not know or have had to watch these DULL TALKY BORING DRAMAS !!

“True Life Dramas” are BAD/BORING/SLEEP INDUCING FOR ME whether Hollywood or
European/UK because we all already
EXPERIENCE in our lives (NOT ME) these REVOLTING , agonising family squabbles

ORDINARY Common everyday people whose DRAMAS are :

Wife cheats on Husband with lover and then plots to kill husband ???
Wife has NO life or career and is a neurotic robot whose whole life is KIDS and KIDS ???
Wife is an alcoholic , manic depressive who fails to cook or keep house in order ???
Husband is a wasted bore whose life revolves around Alcohol, kids and football ???
Wife is separated from Husband and both waste time & money over kids custody ???
Mother in law has invaded the house and wife cannot get any time with husband ???

These above and similar
ULTRA DULL TEDIOUS DRAMAS we DO NOT NEED ON FILM or ON TV SERIES ???

Was his film Jaguar any good?

Huh, when an old topic like this pops up again, I really remember how I don’t miss SD. :stuck_out_tongue:

Did he get kicked off? I saw the arguement in the man called sledge post yesterday. Sounded a little drunk.

SD didn’t drink!! Check out the 'Christmas Kid/Joe Navidad thred for proof.
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,910.msg19083.html#msg19083