Japanese Spaghetti Blu's

Let us know re the quality etc if you get them :slight_smile: .

I just checked Day of anger and One silver dollar and they work with region B player. Quality of the picture isnt very good for bluray.

How bad is ā€˜not very goodā€™, is it better than the Japanese DVD? Could you maybe do a screenshot? Also, how does it deal with the ā€œmissing sceneā€, Japanese subs over Italian audio?

Uh, oh! Still, Iā€™ve ordered them now. However, I donā€™t have a Bluray player here so canā€™t watch them til next week.

Yep japanese subs over missing audio or no subs at all. I cannot get a screenshot of BR-disc, sorry about that. Maybe someone else can.

Im not an expert of the quality of the picture, but it looks worse than the Big Gundown BR for example. I dont have the japanese dvd to compare.

I have the Japanese DVDā€™s so will be able to compare when I watch them next weekā€¦stay tuned!

Iā€™ve still not opened my ONE SILVER DOLLAR Bluray but judging by the DAY OF ANGER one Iā€™d have to question why these have been released on Bluray. I have both earlier Japanese DVDs of OSD (though Iā€™ve still not watched the second one) and I think the difference in pq is likely to be minor, so I think I will try to sell itā€¦Iā€™m wondering whether to open it so I can do a comparsion or not. Since my DOA DVD seems to have gone astray I may end up holding onto it simply as a means of having the film on disc and itā€™s not like thereā€™s a good quality DVD out there anyway, right?

These are cool!

Yes, they are.

I wish we could get them in better resolution.

If you go to the following link (it can take a while to load so be patient), you can click on the individual images of ā€œThe Great Silenceā€ booklet and then click again on images to which it links to get a better close-up:

http://togetter.com/li/381385

I asked a friend of mine who understands some Japanese and according to him (the review says that) the disc has an alternative (cut) version included which is in DVD quality (and the bars are in that one).

Your friend is entirely correct! I am so sorry for the misinformation :-[. My knowledge of Japanese is woefully inadequate and I did not read the post properly at all :-.

The technical specs say that it includes under the special features the American version of 83 minutes with English audio in a 4:3 letterbox aspect ratio.

My best translation of the part of the post in question is:

However, the unfortunate thing is that while the main feature is 1080i quality, the American release version has ordinary image quality like a DVD. Black bars appear on the side of the picture and itā€™s a bit of a shame. If possible I would have liked for this one also to be sold at 1080i quality.

1080i although a disappointment to hear isnā€™t necessarily bad though. The Italian Ripleyā€™s Blu Ray of Sollimaā€™s Violent City is 1080i and looks very nice.

End of the day itā€™s not totally ideal but still should be streets ahead of a DVD, that is of course if they have done a good job.

The Japanese Great Silence Blu has been reviewed at rockshockpop[url]Great Silence, The (Blu-ray) - Rock! Shock! Pop! Forums - Cult Movie DVD And Blu-ray Reviews, Comics Books, Music And More! and it looks absolutely horrible. Donā€™t spend money on that.

I think even a DVD (but no comment if any of the existing ones would) could look much better upscaled.

Quote from the review (which is here Great Silence, The (Blu-ray) - Rock! Shock! Pop! Forums - Cult Movie DVD And Blu-ray Reviews, Comics Books, Music And More! )
Colors are washed out and muddy and while this isnā€™t a very bright film in the first place, theyā€™re definitely faded here. Detail and texture are surprisingly poor and the whole thing looks waxy and poorly defined. Faces have no pores, fur cuts look like theyā€™re made out of plastic and there are compression artifacts and other encoding anomalies noticeable from start to finish. It would have been one thing if this had been an unrestored transfer of battered materials that retained some semblance of film like quality but the screen caps give you a pretty good idea of how this all turned out, and as you can see, it isnā€™t pretty.

I donā€™t think I will check out any of the other releases from this companyā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

I donā€™t have a huge problem with the faded colours: I think they suit the film well.

But it really does look like theyā€™ve taken a badly interlaced DVD, upscaled it (see the edge of the gun in http://www.rockshockpop.com/screencaps/GreatSilenceBD/14-1.jpg for example), and then smoothed it quite a bit.

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Giorni_dellā€™ira,_I/BluRay#Japan

Added another one (thanks to @yukinojo69 ). Maybe someone can help translate the back cover for all the details: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81ApZRTTsyL.AC_SL1174.jpg

Any decent Japanese Spaghetti Bluā€™s worth buying?

Yes

1 Like

Resurrecting this. I added a bunch of new Japanese discs recently, but I/we need some help filling in the details (specs, languages, extras, etcā€¦) as my clumsy Google Translate on Amazon Japan only gets me so far and Amazon is not the most reliable sourceā€¦

1 Like