New and Upcoming Western Films/Shows

Interesting

https://screenrant.com/western-movies-2010s-best-decade-rotten-tomatoes/

“Only films that are classified as “westerns” on Rotten Tomatoes will be considered, which is why Slow West and The Sisters Brothers miss out.”

Why isn’t Slow West classified as a western? If that’s not a western, then I don’t know what is. It’s one of my favourites of the decade.

yea weird… wtf, both were westerns

At last! I’ve been hoping for this for a long time.

It’ll never be the same as the glory days of the SW in the 60s and 70s. Everything is too politically correct now.

2 Likes

… at least, it’s pretending to be correct ! Films aren’t like the school nativity play were everyone gets the chance to be involved out of fairness.

When you watch the recent award ceremonies, and listen to some of the bullshit speeches about equality in ‘the buisness’ … just remember, these are the same cunts who would shoot their grannies and stand on your head to get where they are today.

2 Likes

on the other hand, up until the mid-60s it was the classic western that was polished, over-idealized and non-controversial on many matters. I think there’s always waves or a pendulum in art genres, as well. I think “everything” is not too politically correct now… plus these things are in the eyes of the beholders, and it has always been a cuthroat business this movie business :slight_smile: not meant to make anyone comfortable but meant to get you to dish out money to be entertained

3 Likes

Out of touch millionaires lecturing the world. You couldn’t even walk up to these celebrities on the street and have a conversation with them.

Joaquin Phoenix is the worst of the bunch.

2 Likes

When I said “everything” what I really meant was “a lot of things.” As far as pre-60s westerns go I just haven’t seen enough of them. I just like the spaghettis mainly. People weren’t as worried about “offending” the audience back in the glory days of the SW and that includes guys like Corbucci and Sollima. Modern film-making is also just not low budget and raw enough; something’s missing…maybe it’s because of the high-tech age we live in. It feels farther removed from the 1800s/early 1900s period.

2 Likes

Another one

1 Like

I will almost certainly give this one a try.
I know a lot of western fans didn’t like Meek’s Cutoff much but I enjoyed it so happy to give this one a go too.

1 Like

Meeks Cutoff was a dry affair, and the full screen aspect ratio (why the fuck do directors do that??) didnt help but I am a sucker for an authentic western (vs the romanticized kind)

I liked Meek’s Cutoff. I didn’t mind the fullscreen picture but that’s because my TV is one of the older widescreen TVs, so it doesn’t show the film in the centre of the screen. Does anybody know why the newer TVs do that? I have the same issue with Blu-rays Vs DVDs. For example, when I popped my Blu-ray of Island of Death in, the film was in the centre of the screen whereas the DVD from the same Arrow set filled the whole screen. And I didn’t even change the settings or anything!

It has nothing to do with Blu vs DVD, it has a lot to do with the technology of your TV and with the Technology of your player. And it seems also with how the anamophic flag is set on a Blu or DVD. By some DVDs this does not work right.

My TV mostly recognizes the correct aspect ratio, but not always, than I’ll have to do that manually. On my girl friends TV we have to do that always manually when watching non anamorphic DVDs, and then back when watching again anamorphic discs.

And using the old 1,37:1 aspect ratio? Why not, when that image is better for what is told in the filmmakers opinion.

In that special case the question would be if you see in the 1,37:1 image more on top and bottom compared to the widescreen image?

Is this one any good?

https://amzn.to/3e4XOCr

After having finished Mark Twain’s final, uncompleted novel No. 44, The Mysterious Stranger last night, I googled its title and came across a 2019 Western movie reportedly based on that truly strange book: a UK-produced Acid Western entitled Day of the Stranger, directed by Thomas Lee Rutter. Has anyone seen it yet? Reviews are mixed.

https://vimeo.com/367639399

A Million Ways to Die in the West was by far my favourite.