Inglorious Basterds homage

I noticed this in a review today of the new Tarantino film: “The Americans have assembled a special team, a group of Jewish soldiers known as the Basterds who hunt, kill, and scalp Nazi soldiers. Led by Lt. Aldo Raine (Pitt), the Basterds are justifiably feared by the Nazis.” Could this be a salute to Aldo Sambrell’s character Duncan from Navajo Joe?

No, it’s actually a homage to actor Aldo Ray. But maybe a double homage, who knows.

When I first heard Pit say his name, I thought, “Did hesay Aldo Ray?” I had just seen Nightfall with Ray at the time.

Quite possible!

The opening scene of Inglorious Basterds is definitly a homage to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Hans Landa reminded me on Sentenza/Angel Eyes. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Paco Roman, post:4, topic:1928”]Quite possible!

The opening scene of Inglorious Basterds is definitly a homage to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Hans Landa reminded me on Sentenza/Angel Eyes. :)[/quote]

Yeah definitely, that’s the feeling I got with the opening… also I think the whole scene where they’re playing the celebrity head card game is a homage to Park Chan-wook’s Joint Security Area.

interesting! QT likes that film a lot, too

Two possible Homages (SPOILERS)

The scalping could have been a reference to The Searchers. John Wayne is scalping a dead Indian in that. Don’t know if this is the first Western in which you can see a white Man scalping someone else.

The Mexican Standoff scene reminded me on a Scene in El Dorado. In this scene Wayne or Mitchum is lying on the floor at the door of the Sheriff’s Office quite similar to Brigdet von Hammersmark is lying on the Tavern’s floor. Someone else is shouting outdoors into the Sheriff’s office like Brad Pitt did in IB.

Actually the intro of the film is based on the movie citizen kane I think.
However, I think it reminded me also more of the intro of the good the bad and the ugly like also mentioned before in this thread.

There are many refrences to other classic movies in I.B. like sergeant york, to hell and back, dirty dozen, the searchers, and many others.

and music from death rides a horse, il mercenario, the big gundown, return of ringo.

Anyway, a really great movie. One of the best ones of the last 10 years I think.
Great dialogues (e.g. the rat), great soundtrack, diversity of action and hilarious scenes, typically QT.

Great to see how QT always uses famous actors for his films of which you expect they will “ruin” the cult image of the movie, but they always succeed.

The only thing I missed were some more, other missions by the basterds, there’s only focus on operation kino, while you expect after chapter 1 and 2 that the film continues in a similar way.

I read there were already plans for a second part, I hope that’s true.

9.5/10

NOT to forget the WINNETOU und KING KONG references! ;D

remember mr. orange beeing on the ground in the reservoir dogs mexican standoff…

Reminds me to rewatch Reservoir Dog! :slight_smile:

QT loves Mexican standoffs!

Reservoir Dogs, True Romance (script) and Pulp Fiction all have one for instance…

I’ve recently watched the movie and loved it. I was blown away especially by Waltz’s performance and my expectations were already high 'cause of all the great critics he received. I think he really deserved to win the Golden Globe Award for Supporting Actor. The guy does speak four languages fluenty (he didn’t need to be dubbed) and his acting is superb IMO. Who ELSE could’ve played Col. Landa ? I also liked the other German actors, especially August Diehl aka Major Hellstrom. Daniel Brühl did quite well and fitted his role while Till Schweiger was ok but Diane Kruger was a real let down, she was the worst acting person in this movie. She sucked big time. Actually, I’ve never liked her acting. She does look good but her acting is bad and wooden, I can’t help it (Troja, the TempleKnights movies with Cage etc.)!!!

Diane Kruger, really? I have to say I thought she was surprisingly good.

About Waltz. If he is a supporting actor in IB, than, who the fuck is the leading actor? Was there anyone with more screentime?

[quote=“Stanton, post:13, topic:1928”]Diane Kruger, really? I have to say I thought she was surprisingly good.

About Waltz. If he is a supporting actor in IB, than, who the fuck is the leading actor? Was there anyone with more screentime?[/quote]

I’m surprised you liked her acting, Stanton!? What do you think about the other German actors?

I think, Brad Pitt is supposed to be the Leading Actor but you’re right, who does have the most screentime and most complex role!?

Yeah, technically Pitt is the lead, but in fact it’s an ensemble film, and Pitt has not much screen time. Someone said only 40 min.

Nearly all the acting was great. Christian Berkel could have had a bigger role.

I thought it was obvious that Shoanna was the main lead.

Pitt would be the lead as he is the main protagonist followed by Waltz as the lead antagonist. Shoshanna would definitely be third in main characters.

The scalping and carving into the forehead reminded me of Navajo Joe.
Probably the best movie of 2009!

only the inglorious bastards 1978 it’s the best! they can’t never made a good remake fim
no one can replaced the old ones…

Jesus Christ. This is massively overrating Tarantino in my opinion.