[info] Formatting help for articles [this topic is currently under revision]

This is a growing list of tips and tricks on how to format film articles. Basically you can leave that to me, but if you want to start learning the wiki software you might as well check it out

Q: How do I add such a nice info box like you just added for Once Upon a time in the West or Boots Hill?
A: This is basically a table that floats to the right, the following code should be added at the very beginning of the article:

{| align=right border=1 |'''Title''': original title |- | '''Year''': 196x |- | '''Director''': name of director |}

Q: How do I link to other articles?
A: There’s a little button in the toolbox (Ab) that wrapps two brackets around a word you market. it becomes a link. only if an article exists that is spelled exactly like the word or sentence you marked, the link becomes blue (=working). if an article of that name doesnt exist, the link will be red and if you click on it you can create that article.

Q: How do I make the table of contents NOT appear on an article?
A: write NOTOC at the end of an article

Q: How do I assign a page to a category (actors, composers, year) and how do I link to a category?
A: Write [[Category:nameofcategory]] at the end of an article to categorize, and write [[:Category:nameofacategory]] to link to it. The difference is the colon in front of it

Q: How do I redirect a page to another one, for example a (non existent) Boot Hill page to a (non existent, but theoretically in place) Boots Hill page?
A: in your empty page write #REDIRECT [[link]] and save the page. Now evertime someone comes to that page gets instantly transfereed to the one you specified in the link, the visitor doesn’t even notice.

please dont create subpages that aren’t linked to. please consult with others

How do you get the little squared dot in front of filmtitles on a category page?

just make a *

Just to save some time; how do I edit category pages?
Remove or add filmtitles on an actors page for instance?

Another thing; I feel it’s a little unnecessary on filmpages to have titles from all over the world.
Wouldn’t it be enough to have italian title, english title, and maybe german title?

Information can be too much in some cases, it becomes just a mess in my opinion!

so when a guy from finland looks for a film he won’t find it? nope, exactly the other way round, man: the more titles the better. i want people to find the films in just a few clicks of the mouse!

you can edit category pages the same as normal ones, just click “edit”. categories list articles that have been assigned to them. so if you assign an article to a category by adding [[Category:Whatever]] that page will be listed in the Whatever category.

but not for every thing you need a category. normal pages are good also

When I click edit on an actors page, only a blank page appears, how do I remove a filmtitle for instance?

well of course its a blank page, if nothing’s there. the titles below are added automatically because they were assigned to the category.

you remove a film title from a category if you de-assign it from the category by removing the [[Category:Whatever]] from the article’s page

[quote=“Sebastian, post:1, topic:48”]Q: How do I redirect a page to another one, for example a (non existent) Boot Hill page to a (non existent, but theoretically in place) Boots Hill page?
A: in your empty page write #REDIRECT [[link]] and save the page. Now evertime someone comes to that page gets instantly transfereed to the one you specified in the link, the visitor doesn’t even notice.[/quote]
Just have a Question.
When you tibe for example Franco Nero in the SearchBox you dont find the Category:Franco Nero.
my question is: what do i have to do that when i tibe Franco Nero ,the Category page will appear.

what are you doing? i can find it.

but try going to preferences-> search -> and select category as well

no i want it easier.For example someone is searching Franco Nero ,so he writes Franco Nero in the SearchBox.But you just can see his movies ,not HIS Page.So what i am trying to do is that the Page Franco Nero is directly linked to the Category Page…

Hope you understand now :wink:

you want that when you enter “franco nero” you will be instantly at the franco nero category, without seeing the search results?

the only way way to do that is a create a page that is called “franco nero” and have that redirected to the category

yes BUT i tried with the #REDIRECT [[Category:Franco Nero]] link but it isnt working perhaps because it is a Category.

you have to do a : in front of the Category to make it a link, without a : you assign the page to that category

Hi,

I am new to the board, hi to everybody

[quote=“macaroni, post:16, topic:48”]Hi,

I am new to the board, hi to everybody[/quote]

Hi.
And welcome to the board. :slight_smile:

[quote=“macaroni, post:16, topic:48”]Hi,

I am new to the board, hi to everybody[/quote]

Welcome mate. Always good to have new members.

ok my on my user page the top paragraph is running from left to right in a white box instead of up and down and i cant find any way to reset it???

can you give me a quick link?