If You Meet Sartana, Pray for Your Death / Se incontri Sartana, prega per la tua morte (Gianfranco Parolini, 1968)

Yes, to my way of thinking is decidedly too strong… :wink:

Apart from the year of release, what’s the sense of comparing Se incontri Sartana prega per la tua morte to a film of unbridled authorial ambitions (and expecting to put an end to the genre) such as C’era una volta il West by Leone?

And how many SW actors (including Klaus Kinski) “have the same magnetic presence as Clint Eastwood or Lee Van Cleef”?

Didn’t much care for it, eh? :slight_smile:

sequels??

My mistake - I misread Giuliano Carnimeo as Gianfranco Parolini. Sorry. I will alter the review.

without sartana the genre will die :wink:
not one of my best SW i ever seen but one of the best movie of every genre movie i ever seen!!!
first sartana then all the others next…

a masterpiece of the genre!!! i called his name 50 times in a day in my whole family
they bored to heard me every day!

[quote=“sartana1968, post:105, topic:188”]a masterpiece of the genre!!! i called his name 50 times in a day in my whole family
they bored to heard me every day![/quote]It’s a movie. Not a religion, you know…

football is also a game but you all made it like a religion… :wink:
god i hate footbal !!!

Look who’s talking, Mr. San Antonio:

[/URL]

(Weren’t you some kind of suspect???)

No sir, It is a religion!

Just check the word: Sartana = Satan + Ra

Ra, the Sun God from Egypt, home of the brotherhood that inspired the satanic 9/11 events

Proof:

[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/lamw1.jpg/

Now don’t tell me this a a conspiracy theory

“He who has ears, let him hear. He who has eyes, let him see” - Matthew 13:9

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:108, topic:188”]Look who’s talking, Mr. San Antonio:

[/URL]

(Weren’t you some kind of suspect???)

No sir, It is a religion!

Just check the word: Sartana = Satan + Ra

Ra, the Sun God from Egypt, home of the brotherhood that inspired the satanic 9/11 events

Proof:

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/satan11s1.jpg/][url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/lamw1.jpg/[/url]

Now don’t tell me this a a conspiracy theory

“He who has ears, let him hear. He who has eyes, let him see” - Matthew 13:9[/quote]
hahhahahahaahaha!!! very good scherpschutter!! ;D ;D

for those who haven’t seen the film yet, you can see the film here before you buy it
a truly great experience, how i much i loved this you don’t now the only movie that keeps
my eyes open all the time! 8) not a single boring second, i loved it from the begining to the end

6 out of 5!

the movie needs a blue ray release!!!
some parts in the wild east version is hard to see especialy at the end it’s very dark

Very good spoof of conspiracy theorists, scherp ;D

please don’t quote spammers! can you remove your post, sartana 1968? Admin will remove these posts soon.

ok don’t worry i do it

One thing I’ll never understand is why, given how iconic a figure Sartana is, the designers of the Italian poster decided to use an image of Garko from Cowards Don’t Pray instead. ???

If You Meet Sartana … is a terrible film in all sorts of ways. The film-makers appear to have made the plot up as they went along. The exteriors were filmed in the same waste disposal dump as For a Dollar in the Teeth (but completely lack that film’s gritty realism). The sets look exactly like sets. The music has some eeriely effective moments but is generally insipid and misjudged. It’s basically a low-rent rehearsal for Sabata. But I really like it and will watch it repeatedly. It’s not a case of it being so bad that it’s good, either (Such films usually outstay their welcome after about 10 minutes). In this case I just suspend my critical faculties and enjoy it on its own terms.

I think the main reason for this indulgence is the charisma of Sartana himself (not just Garko’s sinister charm but the nicely emphatic actor who dubs him into English), and the eerie twist his character brings to an otherwise pointless shoot-em-up. None of the sequels work for me (and Angel of Death is the only one I’ve actually been able to sit through to the end) - not just because they make a travesty of the character’s Grim Reaper image, but also because they lose track of what Christopher Frayling would call his “connotations” (so the distinctive derringer is replaced by a standard Colt, and the beard by a blond handlebar moustache :o)

The action in the film becomes increasingly deranged (Lasky massacres his entire gang, but not to worry, here’s another one he prepared earlier), but at least there’s plenty of it, which adds to the appeal. And for some reason I find myself cherishing lines of dialogue like “The gold! General Tampico will be content!”

But what’s Sartana going to do with the gold when he finally gets it? Though he says (in the English version) that he isn’t a ghost, I suspect he’s actually a curse personified, visiting judgement on everyone who tries to steal it for themselves. There’s discussion above about Lasky’s last line - was he going to say ghost or gravedigger? - but I always heard it as “You are the D…” - implying he’s something much more dangerous!

Well-written, well-said

[quote=“Extranjero, post:115, topic:188”]One thing I’ll never understand is why, given how iconic a figure Sartana is, the designers of the Italian poster decided to use an image of Garko from Cowards Don’t Pray instead. ???

… I suspect he’s actually a curse personified, visiting judgement on everyone who tries to steal it for themselves. There’s discussion above about Lasky’s last line - was he going to say ghost or gravedigger? - but I always heard it as “You are the D…” - implying he’s something much more dangerous![/quote]

The poster in question is actually the first release poster and it was designed before the film had even completed shooting. Nowadays, they would call that poster an “advance”.
After the film proved a success and was “re-released” the subsequent posters featured the Sartana look.

Sorry I couldn’t find a better image of the Italian second release poster.

This practice of designing posters before the films had been completed was very common in Italy in the 60’s.
And this Sartana poster is just one example of how the practice created misfires.
However, you have to give them credit for at least getting an image of Garko on the thing!
That is a huge step up from what they did for this first release poster for Leone’s A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS!

I agree that Lasky says “You are the D…” as his last line.
And I agree with your assessment that perhaps Sartana is a supernatural being that is more dangerous than a ghost.

Interesting. Always wondered why some of the posters looked so different.

He needs to fund his next movies. Good investment if you ask me.

Thanks for the great info and pictures Chris!