I’ll Sell My Skin Dearly / Vendo cara la pelle (Ettore Maria Fizzarotti, 1968)

Thanks Lode, Thanks sherps.
A good review to read. ;D

I second that.

I’d like to see this in english. I’ve also seen the german version only, didn’t understand much about it but remember liking it anyway. There’s something about Mike Marshall and his staring blue eyes which makes him look a bit psychotic.

I always thought this too. He does not seem like a real hero but more as a psychotic killer. Then - always saying that he is a killer to the widdow - you really believe him. That was the fact you can’t get him in the role of the hero. He simply isn’t…

Yeah, he’s much like Django but with even less emotions. There are some standard drama scenes in the film but because of Marshall’s psychotic appearance they all are strange. Even the ones where he’s just talking with the little boy are ominous since viewer is under impression that Shane isn’t perfectly sane. I’ll always remember the scene where he buries alive this one guy (Sheriff?) without blink of an eye. Too bad that Marshall made only two westerns, the other (Con lui cavalca la morte) being such routine effort.

After he does that he throws something down onto the coffin lid - we see it from a worm’s eye view as it lands (on a piece of glass one presumes) and it looks like a little horseshoe, maybe?
I thought that this was gonna be a motif that went thru the film - like in the Magnificent Three (where he sticks a tie-pin on the dead bodies) or the pieces of rope in Vengeance, but I think it only happens the once. Maybe I wasn’t paying attention for a mo, but did I miss its significance? Expecting to see it happen again I didn’t re-view it. Maybe I should now.

I found out that CINE CITY has a DVDr with English audio
But the German release served as a master (so picture quality won’t be great) and Rene’s asking 18.00 € for it
He promises missing scenes, though
Think I’ll buy the cheap German DVD
(It looks like an interesting revenge movie)

Also found the German trailer (with an English title that is the correct translation of the Italian title):

This has that ‘horseshoe’ thing on the coffin - looks a bit stringy now tho … ???

Yes it is a little horseshoe. Everybody who was involved in the family killing “gets” one when killed by Shane. Only a little feature, but a nice one…

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:27, topic:52”]I found out that CINE CITY has a DVDr with English audio
But the German release served as a master (so picture quality won’t be great) and Rene’s asking 18.00 € for it
He promises missing scenes, though[/quote]
I have René’s version. Missing scenes are not in the film but at the end of the film with very poor picture quality. All of them (or at least almost all of them) are just conversations which do not really add anything important to the film in my oppinion. Of course I would prefer full uncut version with good picture quality but as these scenes are not that important to the film (IMO!) I’m happy he did not insert any poor fullscreen scenes to German DVD - constant chances in aspect ratio and picture quality would be more distracting than missing scenes.

Thanks to The Rev I could see this pleasant little spaghetti western

Any film with a hero called Shane and a villain called Magdalena has my attention
The script is a nice combination of two famous westerns, Death rides a Horse and … of course … Shane
But from each film, a character is missing, or seems to be missing

The opening scene, with the massacre of the family, is similar to the opening scene of Death rides a Horse and we also get a scene with Marshall practising his shooting skills near the place were his family was buried, like John-Philip Law did in Petroni’s film
The person missing, is of course the Lee van Cleef character, the ‘good criminal’ who was present at the scene of the massacre
Well, he is not completely absent in the movie (I mean the character, not Lee): we meet him a few moments before the final shootout between Shane and Mary : he is … but I won’t give it away, it’s a well-contrived plot element you have to discover yourself

The mid-section of the movie as well as the final reels, are dedicated to Shane
There is the boy (he plays harmonica!) who admires Shane and gets some shooting lessons from him, there’s the mother who fancies the blond gunman and … there’s no father, so in this film Shane can come back after his departure direction sunset (you’ll hear the voice of Brandon de Wilde echoing in your head: Come back Shane!)

Like I said, a nice little spaghetti, with some fine lines (you can bury a corpse, but you can’t bury a memory), good action scenes and a great nasty spaghetti moment when the hero buries a man alive
I didn’t think Marshall was that bad. OK, he’s no Eastwood or Nero, but I have seen far worse
And Conversi had the time of his life as Magdalena’s hot-headed henchman who smacks anybody on the nose who dares to come near him!

I didn’t get the meaning of those horseshoes
Maybe the ranch of Shane’s parents was called Horseshoe ranch, or something like that

By the way: the Italian title of the film is VenDo cara la Pelle

Venco is something completely different:
http://www.venco.nl/

I have René's version. Missing scenes are not in the film but at the end of the film with very poor picture quality. All of them (or at least almost all of them) are just conversations which do not really add anything important to the film in my oppinion. Of course I would prefer full uncut version with good picture quality but as these scenes are not that important to the film (IMO!)

boy am I glad I checked this thread, I was wondering about that missing 10 minutes. I have the German dvd and had noticed the longer running time mentioned in an Italian database. When you have a German dvd with a western running 80 minutes or less, or even 85 minutes, you can generally expect it to be cut for 5 or 10 minutes or so. Most of these spaghettis had an average running time of 90 min. I know of very few spaghettis that run under 80 min, only Lo Chiamavano King (His Name Was King) comes to mind. Anyway, I find the German equivalent of the IMDB, the OFDB http://www.ofdb.de/film/37683,Zum-Abschied-noch-ein-Totenhemd a GREAT way to check if a movie is cut or not. Good movie btw, tho it could have used some more action (and running time:))

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:26, topic:52”]After he does that he throws something down onto the coffin lid - we see it from a worm’s eye view as it lands (on a piece of glass one presumes) and it looks like a little horseshoe, maybe?
I thought that this was gonna be a motif that went thru the film - like in the Magnificent Three (where he sticks a tie-pin on the dead bodies) or the pieces of rope in Vengeance, but I think it only happens the once. Maybe I wasn’t paying attention for a mo, but did I miss its significance? Expecting to see it happen again I didn’t re-view it. Maybe I should now.[/quote]

Having watched both versions, they aren’t horseshoes but four links (for the four killers) from a chain hanging at the ranch where Shane’s family were killed. he shoots them off one by one and the drops one on the corpses of the first two men he kills. At the end after he kills Magdalena he drops the last two signifying that he has forgiven the last man (Magdalena’s brother who has become a monk) or is at least prepared to show mercy…

Which kind of brings me onto the missing scenes. They are all scenes of Shane talking to the boy and i actually found them important(ish) as they showed more depth to his character and how he begins to change…leading to him sparing the life of the last killer (although he gets caught in a crossfire anyway). The cut version was particularly jarring at the end when after the big fight, he rides into the widows place when in the uncut version he is first seem telling the boy that he can’t stay with them…

I noticed a few posts mentioned the Shane character not being a good “hero” as he seems/looks deranged but funnily, that’s the reason i liked the character! :stuck_out_tongue:

Where can I get an uncut english version?

I have the german version,there’s not much to understand,it’s a short,hard and simple revenge western

The Geman version also includes the German trailer, which is really great, because there Shane appears even more like a maniac than in the movie itself. As far as I remember it the voice over says something like: wait Shane, wait, soon you can taste your revenge. Great stuff!

The same here,Mike Marshall looked really crazy with his wide opened,blue eyes.
The voice in the trailer said wait … they have to look in my eyes and they’ll see the death in them,very suitable.
Besides the voice often said - I sell my skin dearly,the original title,although the german title was - A shroud to farewell,coarse translated.

I think we can really say, that these blue eyes are the real heroes of this movie.

I have both the uncut and cut versions of this. I’m planning on incorporating the two movies together to get a widescreen uncut version.

Okay I just finished merging the deleted scenes from the uncut fullscreen VHS version to the high quality widescreen but cut marketing film DVD version. I’ve also added menu screens, the german trailer and alternative ending credits.

I’m going to test it out first and I’ll let y’all know how it goes.