How many westerns do you have

open range is truly great. a very realistic, yet romantic, and badass western, with none of the glory bullshit, and the shootout is, i agree, absolutely great

Aprroximately 580 SW with 35 westerns which a 1/3 are in the noir western style.
Close to 30 Turkish styled westerns & a few Anatolian styled by Yilmaz Guney.

I had seen once an early film by Yilmaz Güney. Long, long ago.

What I remember, it was located amongst bandits who worked in a region with falling rocks. and it was possibly western like.

Do you know this one, Violent?

[quote=“violentprofessional, post:22, topic:1084”]Aprroximately 580 SW with 35 westerns which a 1/3 are in the noir western style.
Close to 30 Turkish styled westerns & a few Anatolian styled by Yilmaz Guney.[/quote]

what do the numbers look like if you substract bootlegs etc from the 580 and also substract VHS?

I have roughly 110 spaghetti westerns. Pretty good considering I only started collecting less than a year ago. I don’t think I will expand well beyond that since I don’t consider myself a “completist”. I only have about 25 or so American westerns, mostly because I usually don’t care much for American westerns, save for a few exceptions here and there. Out of these I do have a good amount of “blaxploitation westerns”.

what praytell, is a blaxploitation western? :wink: take a hard ride?

Yes, I have to admit, the majority of my SW collection are not “official DVD releases”.

Boss Nigger, the legend of Nigger charley, Buck and the Preacher, Charley One-eye, The cherokee kid etc…

(please excuse my use of the N-word!)

I have enjoyed watching a few of these recently, especially ones with Fred Williamson in.

What love about blaxploitation westerns is that they are very spaghetti like. Alot of violence and action, bad ass anti heroes, emphasis on musical score, cheap budget. Basically if you replace italians with african americans, you get a blaxploitation.

Good points ;).

In response to Stanton re early Guney film.Films of Guney when rocks were falling.On Korkusuz Adam '64 a variation of the Magnificent 7.Ac Kurtlar '69 AKA Hungry Wolves at the end Guney is buried alive.The film has alot of driving snowstorms during the filming.Daglarin Oglu '65 AKA Son OfThe Mountains which I haven’t seen may be the film.

The count does not include VHS’s since all have been transfered to disc.The majority of
the SW I have are dubs but when a commercial release with English audio or English subs
is released I buy the DVD.The only SW I don’t buy are the comedies though I have one
from WE & Global.I’m seriously considering buying commercial foreign language DVD’s that
I don’t belive will have an English release.Ie Kill The Wicked.I feel since I have a number of
DVD-R’s that are foreign language & most have only that audio available.If I lived in an
English speaking country that was flooded with SW during the day I might have filled
the English gap better.

hmm, it was directed by Güney, and I remember it as being from the early 70s.

I’ve checked meanwhile a book about film history, and I think it was Agit (1971).

[quote=“stanton, post:34, topic:1084”]hmm, it was directed by Güney, and I remember it as being from the early 70s.

I’ve checked meanwhile a book about film history, and I think it was Agit (1971).[/quote]

Agit is an early 70’s film as you stated '72.I was attempting to recall films from the earlier period of mid 60’s.Guney’s character is a leader of a bunch of smugglers who operate in the mountainous area along the border for a percentage of the goods.The men lead a hard life of treachery,danger & murder.Guney usually had social comment in the films he directed which the Turkish government disapproved of as he was jailed.Eventually he fled Turkey as he was railroaded possibly on a murder charge of a judge.He fled to France where he won awards for his work but died a broken,lonely man for his beloved Turkey.

I have close to 200 American westerns and growing… and around 70 Italian westerns

I know.

He was very popular in Germany amongst film buffs after Yol, and it’s tragic that he died so young soon after.

I’m embarrassed to say I have fewer than 50. But I’m still married (after 23 years) and if I bought any more DVD’s I might not be!

I have 21 westerns.

Currently i have 234 SW’s in my collection (made up of a variety of sell thru dvds and dvdrs plus 2 videotapes). Then there are multiples (ie different formats/languages/quality). Got another 12 on the way and once my birthday comes round that count should go up considerably ;D