How do you like the DVD sub-pages?

sounds good to me

Do we have a policy about the bootleg and public domain releases? Should they be included on the database or not? Personally I think we could add good quality releases of films with no official dvd and make a clear note that it’s not official release. Public domain releases are quite unpleasant to add since some films have been released thousand times by different companies and always in bad quality.

Another problem is that it’s quite difficult to know which releases are bootlegs and which official while listing Brazilian or South-African releases etc.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:22, topic:479”]Do we have a policy about the bootleg and public domain releases? Should they be included on the database or not? Personally I think we could add good quality releases of films with no official dvd and make a clear note that it’s not official release. Public domain releases are quite unpleasant to add since some films have been released thousand times by different companies and always in bad quality.

Another problem is that it’s quite difficult to know which releases are bootlegs and which official while listing Brazilian or South-African releases etc.[/quote]
i think “these” releases should be listed as companies like alfa digital and stopgapdvd has put great effort into their releases.
maybe then they could be removed or considered obsolete when / if an official release becomes available.

technically, even Wild East are bootlegs. All they do is release films that nobody owns a copyright to in the United States. They just do it professionally :slight_smile:

yeah I think we should include them. but maybe not under “USA” or so but in a seperate header “bootlegs” or “alternative releases”

currently, most of the links to the sub pages say “DVDinformation”, I think we should change them to “Available DVDs” or something, that soulds more like what we’re doing, and we’re also calling the links like that at The Deuce.

thoughts?

Maybe “DVD Releases” would be more accurate.
Unfortunately, as we all know, sometimes just because a DVD has been released doesn’t mean it is still available. I’m thinking of OOP Wild East releases in particular.

Yeah, you are right. Let’s do it this way.

I might be rather stupid or clumsy, but I find it hard to navigate on the site

I find all kind of links concerning titles on the Main Page, but no link to a workable list (or lists) of filmtitles
The first thing I always do when I enter a film site, be it a German, English, French or Italian one, is to look for a list/lists of reviews, not reviews of DVDs, but of the movies
If there is additional info on DVDs that’s fine, but it’s not essential, at least not in the first place

Since most people who visit the site will be able to speak either English or German, it’s seems logical that a prominent link is presented on the main page to a list of English & German titles
Since the SW is mainly a Southern European genre, a link to a list of original titles seems appropriate (most of the time Italian, but not necessarily so)
If somebody can’t find the movie he’s looking for, he can be directed to articles like ‘title chaos’ or ‘alternative French, Italian, Spanish, Swahili titles’ etc.

Furthermore I’d advice you to bring together the info on the movies
It all looks cut up into tiny bits: Film Page, DVD page, Review Page, English review, German Review …
I know there are cross-links, but there is no real starting point

My idea would be ONE page for a movie as a starting point
ORIGINAL TITLE
(Other titles)
with a film revies (if available) in English
(Link to review in German)
DVD info
List of available DVDs (with links to DVD info; this info should be uniquely on the DVD, so don’t add a knew film review)

Example

PER QUALCHE DOLLARI IN PIU

English title, German title, French title, Spanish title etc.

Film Review in English : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sebastian 90-5O-4335

German film review (link)

DVD’s

British DVD (link to info)
German DVD
Danish DVD
Italian DVD
Spanish DVD

(It would be wise, I suppose, to make one page per movie with all available info/reviews on the DVDs)

Pages with list of DVDs from specific companies or retailers can still be usefull; you can make links from these pages to the info/reviews

I don’t quite get what you mean. I think the site works fine now and the additional info on every individual film is easily accessible from the bar on the right below the picture.

But I guess we could improve the ‘browse all’ section. I liked it better when it was accessible from the navigation bar on the right. Now you have to come back to main page every time to look for it.

Another thing: I decided “Three Bullets for Ringo” as March focus film, so that we can work on :wink: 3 colpi di Winchester per Ringo - The Spaghetti Western Database

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:29, topic:479”]I don’t quite get what you mean. I think the site works fine now and the additional info on every individual film is easily accessible from the bar on the right below the picture.

But I guess we could improve the ‘browse all’ section. I liked it better when it was accessible from the navigation bar on the right. Now you have to come back to main page every time to look for it.[/quote]

Like I said: I might be stupid (or worse), but I don’t find that prominent link to a list of International/English/German titles on the Main Page

Under NAVIGATION (on the left) there should at least be a title FILM REVIEWS (or simply FILMS)

The idea would be this (> = click):

FILM REVIEWS (FILMS) >

ORIGINAL TITLES
ENGLISH TITLES
GERMAN TITLES
(+ if you wish, lists like ALTERNATIVE I/G/F/S/D/NL/E TITLES or TITLE CHAOS)

Of course you can click on all these
Example:
ORIGINAL TITLES >

PER QUALCHE DOLLARI IN PIU
(page as described in previous post)

Note: I know there is this SEARCH and GO function, and BROWSE ALL
But sometimes people don’t know the name of the movie they’re looking for, or (in my case) they like to scroll title lists and to click here and there
The BROWSE ALL function doesn’t really work for me

Ok, this sounds reasonable. Maybe easiest way to help this kind of browsing would be adding link to alphabetical list of films to navigation bar. This for example:
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/English_Titles

good idea, Lode.

as to the film lists, click Browse All, and you find most ways to navigate thsi page, including a (imperfect) list of ALL pages on this website, then there are tons of alphabetical lists

and the pages are mostly set up the way you described, with the reviews and dvd infos outsourced, because they take up so much space, but please keep the feedback coming, i am sure there’s tons of room for improvement

@ BILL

That’s what I meant

@ Sebastian

I know there are tons of alphabetical lists, but that’s exactly my problem
I site like this should be built up in network form, starting from a few essential lists
Browse all can be usefull, as an overview, not as a starting point
If you have reviews and dvdinfo outsourced, than at least there should be a link to them in NAVIGATION; right now there are terms under navigation that simply shouldn’t be there.

The navigation should be more or less like this:
MAIN PAGE
FORUM
FILMS
DVDs
Recent Changes
HELP

(If we would have biographies on directors and actors, also:
ACTORS
DIRECTORS)

That seems essential navigation to me, good starting points
When I click (just an example) DVDs I would expect to find things like:

DVD REVIEWS (English)
DVD REVIEWS (German)
COMPANIES/RETAILERS

well if you put actors and direcors in the navigation menu, why not cinematographers and the people who bring coffee to the set :wink:

and which list should be a a starting point? i think it’s fairly easy to get to the one you’re looking for.

and an entry “DVDs” in the navigation menu, well… we essentially have that on the main page at the top…

an entry “films” seems redundant to me since the site is nothing but… films

i don’t see how “browse all…” can’t be a starting point. what is a starting point to you? if you’re looking for a film, just do a quick search, pick a category, or “International titles” lists and pick the one from your country…

DVD Sub Pages

I am pleased with the current pages which are informative and logical.
Thank you to everyone who has worked on these Dvd Pages, much appreciated. :slight_smile:

so should we cal it “Available DVDs” or “DVD Releases” or what? right now it’s a big inconsistent

[quote=“Sebastian, post:35, topic:479”]well if you put actors and direcors in the navigation menu, why not cinematographers and the people who bring coffee to the set :wink:

and which list should be a a starting point? i think it’s fairly easy to get to the one you’re looking for.

and an entry “DVDs” in the navigation menu, well… we essentially have that on the main page at the top…

an entry “films” seems redundant to me since the site is nothing but… films

i don’t see how “browse all…” can’t be a starting point. what is a starting point to you? if you’re looking for a film, just do a quick search, pick a category, or “International titles” lists and pick the one from your country…[/quote]

ad a) I think Directors and actors are most essential to most readers/fans, most sites have links to them, hardly any to cinematographers etc

ad b) starting points should be on the Main Page, most essential starting points seem to me things like TITLES / REVIEWS / DVDs / ACTORS / DIRECTORS not things like random page and the likes. I don’t think it’s that easy to find what you want, last week I wanted to check whether it was useful for me to write a review on Tepepa; first I couldn’t find it (original titles?), then I was directed to several places, sometimes on the same page (that’s what I meant with bringing info together)

ad c) I know you have DVDs on top, but that’s another problem: you have Navigation on the left, Info on top and some other info (DVD Reviews!) in the middle, not too far on the left …

ad d) I mean FILM as a link to a list of film titles, REVIEW as a link to a list of filmreviews, DVD reviews as a link to a list of reviews of specific DVDs etc. Of course we’re talking about movies here, even the books that are discussed are about movies, I suppose

ad e) Browse all is an overview, not a starting point
Looking for specific info on a person or film in an overview, is like looking for specific info on a person of film in the table of contents in a book, not very practical; good books offer their readers a good index and/or listing of titles/names

By the way: I’m not attacking anybody
I also appreciate everybody’s efforts
Hopefully nobody thinks otherwise

I appreciate you input. I will of course consider it, I am extremely happy we’re in fact having this discussion

btw, typing in “tepepa” in the search bar, brings you right to the tepepa page

on your point “d” (FILM), you are talking about a list of film titles. Which ones? all of them? italian titles? english titles?

[quote=“Sebastian, post:39, topic:479”]I appreciate you input. I will of course consider it, I am extremely happy we’re in fact having this discussion

btw, typing in “tepepa” in the search bar, brings you right to the tepepa page

on your point “d” (FILM), you are talking about a list of film titles. Which ones? all of them? italian titles? english titles?[/quote]

I’ll send you a text for a Tepepa review tomorrow or the day after tomorrow
See if it’s useful

I know entering “Tepepa” in the search bar directs me to where I want to be, but like I said before, people don’t always know the exact title and some people (like me) prefer to scroll title lists in search of a movie
I don’t know why I’m so fond of title lists, but I am

From FILM you should (in my opinion) be directed to a list of:

INTERNATIONAL TITLES (usually Italian, but not necessarily so)
ENGLISH TITLES
GERMAN TITLES

I think those titles and lists of titles are useful because they’re good STARTING POINTS for links to additional info, about DVDs, DVD reviews, soundtrack CDs, directors, actors etc. You gotta start somewhere, and I think a film title is the most logical starting point