Horror Spaghetti Westerns

(I...I...Idiot) #1

I saw a thread that asked for your favorite sub genre of SW & saw that one of the choices was Horror SW. What would you experts suggest for titles that fell in that category?

(korano) #2

The closest I’ve seen to a horror SW is Django the Bastard. But not much closer. Howard Hughes described Night of the Serpent as a Gothic Horror Spaghetti which is wrong… for Hughes.

(autephex) #3

i haven’t seen any SWs I’d label in a horror subgenre… i dont think the subgenre exists personally

(ENNIOO) #4

The Horror exists …when you watch a few crap Spaghetti westerns one after each other.

(korano) #5

the horror…the horror…

(autephex) #6

hahah… You’ve got me there…

(Dillinger) #7

I thing a classic horror SW is And God said to Cain.

It is set in a dark tornado night. Kinski uses an old underground indian cemetery to hide from his enemies. Out of this cemetery he appears like a ghost and kills the baddies.

(Col. Douglas Mortimer) #8

There really aren’t any horror SW’s. Some SW’s might contain limited elements of a horror film such as the aformentioned DJango the Bastard, And god said to cain, and Django Kill etc, but none of them are true horror movies.

(Ming) #9

I agree. Gothic spaghetti westerns would’ve been a better category. Then these films would fit nicely.
The spaghetti that probably comes closest to being horror is Cut-Throats Nine due to it’s downright nastiness & handful of gore scenes, but it’s still not a horror film.

(Silence) #10

What I meant with Horror SW was movies like Cut Throats Nine, Django Kill (because of the gore), And God Said to Cain, Django the Bastard etc.

(korano) #11

Ok Idiot( user,not you guys :D)

If you are looking for suggestions on SW that take cues from horror, you’ve got…

And God Said to Cain
Vengeance
Mannaja
Cut Throats Nine
Django the Bastard
Django Kill

this is all that comes to my immediate mind.

(I...I...Idiot) #12

Thank you. I was looking for that horror atmosphere & not the horror-ble. :wink:

(korano) #13

My pleasure. This is one of my favorite subgenres. And I’m about 2/3 done with an article on the Gothic Spaghetti Westerns.

(autephex) #14

I think its funny that “Gothic” SWs like Mannaja have much of that feel only by accident… like the use of the fog not because that’s what they were going for, but because they had to cover up the sets and that’s how they did it… I often wonder what Mannaja would of been like if it had been made earlier, when the western sets were still available. I like Mannaja a lot, but mainly because of how it looks… if it didn’t have this element, then I’m not sure I’d like it all that much

(I...I...Idiot) #15

Just watched it & yes, I would say it qualifies. Fog is cheap & it’s interesting to know that’s why they used it. Even beyond that, the opening scene is very ‘stalker/slasher’, he kills with axe not gun, villain in black cape, dogs barking. I like it!

(Silence) #16

I’ve heard somewhere that they used the fog to hide the awful western town! :wink:

(autephex) #17

yea from what I’ve gathered, a lot of the westerns that have these looks are just kind of circumstantial… the director’s weren’t necessarily going for the look, it just so happened that the sets were old and run down which happened to be perfect for a ghost town, or they had to use fog like mannaja, and the mud, etc…

(korano) #18

Four of the Apocalypse uses fog atthe ghost town. ThoughI doubt to hide the decay because it is a ghost town and is supposed to decay ( in movies.) But I think Fulci was trying for a horror feel.

I noticed Mannajadoesn’t seen to use fog all the time in the town.

(Bill san Antonio) #19

There’s good horror scene in one Peter Lee Lawrence film (I think it was A Gun for One Hundred Graves or Clumsy Hands) where they go to ghost town where only people living are zombie-like people infected with plague.

(Stanton) #20

That’s Clumsy Hands.

100 Graves has this scene with the escaped convicts of the mad house. And Eduardo Fajardo looks also like a zombie when he suddenly reappears.

But the real horror in both was maybe PLL’s acting. :wink:
(sorry, couldn’t avoid this unfair remark)