Horror Spaghetti Westerns

I saw a thread that asked for your favorite sub genre of SW & saw that one of the choices was Horror SW. What would you experts suggest for titles that fell in that category?

The closest Iā€™ve seen to a horror SW is Django the Bastard. But not much closer. Howard Hughes described Night of the Serpent as a Gothic Horror Spaghetti which is wrongā€¦ for Hughes.

i havenā€™t seen any SWs Iā€™d label in a horror subgenreā€¦ i dont think the subgenre exists personally

The Horror exists ā€¦when you watch a few crap Spaghetti westerns one after each other.

the horrorā€¦the horrorā€¦

hahahā€¦ Youā€™ve got me thereā€¦

I thing a classic horror SW is And God said to Cain.

It is set in a dark tornado night. Kinski uses an old underground indian cemetery to hide from his enemies. Out of this cemetery he appears like a ghost and kills the baddies.

There really arenā€™t any horror SWā€™s. Some SWā€™s might contain limited elements of a horror film such as the aformentioned DJango the Bastard, And god said to cain, and Django Kill etc, but none of them are true horror movies.

I agree. Gothic spaghetti westerns wouldā€™ve been a better category. Then these films would fit nicely.
The spaghetti that probably comes closest to being horror is Cut-Throats Nine due to itā€™s downright nastiness & handful of gore scenes, but itā€™s still not a horror film.

What I meant with Horror SW was movies like Cut Throats Nine, Django Kill (because of the gore), And God Said to Cain, Django the Bastard etc.

Ok Idiot( user,not you guys :D)

If you are looking for suggestions on SW that take cues from horror, youā€™ve gotā€¦

And God Said to Cain
Vengeance
Mannaja
Cut Throats Nine
Django the Bastard
Django Kill

this is all that comes to my immediate mind.

Thank you. I was looking for that horror atmosphere & not the horror-ble. :wink:

My pleasure. This is one of my favorite subgenres. And Iā€™m about 2/3 done with an article on the Gothic Spaghetti Westerns.

1 Like

I think its funny that ā€œGothicā€ SWs like Mannaja have much of that feel only by accidentā€¦ like the use of the fog not because thatā€™s what they were going for, but because they had to cover up the sets and thatā€™s how they did itā€¦ I often wonder what Mannaja would of been like if it had been made earlier, when the western sets were still available. I like Mannaja a lot, but mainly because of how it looksā€¦ if it didnā€™t have this element, then Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d like it all that much

Just watched it & yes, I would say it qualifies. Fog is cheap & itā€™s interesting to know thatā€™s why they used it. Even beyond that, the opening scene is very ā€˜stalker/slasherā€™, he kills with axe not gun, villain in black cape, dogs barking. I like it!

Iā€™ve heard somewhere that they used the fog to hide the awful western town! :wink:

yea from what Iā€™ve gathered, a lot of the westerns that have these looks are just kind of circumstantialā€¦ the directorā€™s werenā€™t necessarily going for the look, it just so happened that the sets were old and run down which happened to be perfect for a ghost town, or they had to use fog like mannaja, and the mud, etcā€¦

Four of the Apocalypse uses fog atthe ghost town. ThoughI doubt to hide the decay because it is a ghost town and is supposed to decay ( in movies.) But I think Fulci was trying for a horror feel.

I noticed Mannajadoesnā€™t seen to use fog all the time in the town.

Thereā€™s good horror scene in one Peter Lee Lawrence film (I think it was A Gun for One Hundred Graves or Clumsy Hands) where they go to ghost town where only people living are zombie-like people infected with plague.

Thatā€™s Clumsy Hands.

100 Graves has this scene with the escaped convicts of the mad house. And Eduardo Fajardo looks also like a zombie when he suddenly reappears.

But the real horror in both was maybe PLLā€™s acting. :wink:
(sorry, couldnā€™t avoid this unfair remark)