Horror Films

I can that.

I did not like it much either after watching it the first time, but then it stuck in my head, and I had to re-watch it soon, and since then it gets more fascinating with every re-watch. The ending is one of the most beautiful endings in film history, and very touching.

Actually I say meanwhile Irreversible is great entertainment. Isn’t it? :wink:

The Loreley’s Grasp (1973)

"The legendary Loreley has been living for centuries in a grotto beneath the river Rhein in Germany. Every night when the moon is full, she turns into a reptile-like creature craving for human blood."

Great cheesy 70s horror flick with a good Tony Kendall (who plays a hired hunter), Helga Line ( gorgeous as ever as Loreley) and Hot Spanish bunnies in Germany. It’s well paced with a decent plot and I liked the creature in this and the way the killings was done, at times quite graphic. For me this was a fun and worthy watch.

I disagree, sir. The second half of the film becomes increasingly calm, happy, serene etc. but the more it does so, the more awful it becomes, underpinned as it is with our knowledge of what is to come for these people.

That’s why it is now touching for me.

But even without having that emotional impact it is one of the most beautiful film endings. Beginning with that camera movement over the 2001 poster (and the last time I watched 2001 I had tears in my eyes by that ending shot, so it makes double sense) and intensified by this Beethoven tune (his best too) it is overwhelming. Things like that I’m searching for in films.

Forgot to update my Halloween challenge viewing in October but, in the interest of having logged every film I’ve seen so far in 2017 on here:

27th: The Lords of Salem (Zombie, 2012), Lovely Molly (Sánchez, 2012)
28th: The Blair Witch Project (Myrick/Sánchez, 1999), Blair Witch (Wingard, 2016)
29th: Halloween III: Season of the Witch (Wallace, 1982), Halloween (Carpenter, 1978)
30th: Halloween (Zombie, 2007), Halloween 2 (Zombie, 2009)
31st: Trick 'r Treat (Dougherty, 2007), Tales of Halloween (Various, 2015)

Really glad I watched a couple of horrors every day in October. It was fun, but I think it was fun mostly because I didn’t do it the year previous so I really felt into it this year. So I think I might keep it a biennial challenge.

BluRay release calendar

https://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/BluRay_Release_Calendar

Every now and then I get to finally finish overdue reviews for the GCDB :slight_smile:

Fulci’s House by the Cemetery
https://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/The_House_by_the_Cemetery_BluRay_review

1 Like

Terrific review, Seb. That review was imho WAY better than the movie! :slightly_smiling_face: Way better than the movie deserves, too. I had Fulci’s Gates of Hell trilogy (the Arrow blu-rays), and within a few months of acquiring them I’d taken them all down the charity shop. Overrated crap, the lot of them. I’d been particularly disappointed with The Beyond which has a cracking reputation but, for me personally, none of them worked at all (I suppose I should say that I found The House by the Cemetery to be the best of that particular bunch, not that that means too much).

I don’t like the GoH trilogy either, I do however love Fulcis westerns and giallos. To me, It’s like he lost his interest and just tried to come up with the sickest shit possible…

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: What Are You Listening to at the Moment?

Check out the GCDb’s first episode of the 42nd street podcast