Horror Films

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I checked three times and I see no THE EXORCIST. The list cannot be taken seriously.

1 Like

I don’t think so. Most lists have the problem that there are not enough new films, and only old films, so that one can think good films were only made before one was born.

And this RT list here is only based on the collected rewiews of critics. But generally I don’t care for RT as I don’t care for IMDB.
But this list is at least not populated by weak and mediocre films. Most of the films are indeed good.

I agree!..to me it’s a “Fake” list, but whatever.

What are you talking about, “fake”? How is it “fake”? It may well be a divisive list - most are - with good points (recognition of many older titles), bad points (too many movies from 2016, one film that’s been in cinemas for something like a week) and interesting distinctions from more typical similar lists (perennial horror chart-toppers The Shining and The Exorcist are barely represented here), all of which are entirely subjective anyway.

But “fake”, it is not.

You’re not Donald Trump, are you?

1 Like

No, his brother Richard Trump

1 Like

I’m just waiting now, for Lone Gringo to come back at you with a ‘Trump Card’.:wink:

These 25 horror films are a good place to start

1.Bay of Blood (1971) Director: Mario Bava
2.Blood Feast (1963) Director: Herschell Gordon Lewis
3.Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) Director: John McNaughton
4.The Old Dark House (1932) Director: James Whale
5.The Black Room (1935) Director: R. William Neill
6.The Mummy (1932) Director: Karl Freund
7.The Thing (1982) Director: John Carpenter
8. Maniac (1980) Directed by William Lustig
9.Suspiria (1977) Director: Dario Argento
10.Deep Red (1975) Director: Dario Argento
11.Black Sabbath (1963) Director: Mario Bava
12.The Wizard of Gore (1970) Director: Herschell Gordon Lewis
13.Night of the Living Dead (1968) Director: George A. Romero
14.The Changeling (1980) Director: Peter Medak
15.Trouble Every Day (2001) Director: Claire Denis
16.The House by the Cemetery (1981) Director: Lucio Fulci
17.Blood and Black Lace (1964) Director: Mario Bava
18.Black Christmas (1974) Director: Bob Clark
19.Kill, Baby, Kill (1966) Director: Mario Bava
20 Last House on the Left (1972) Director: Wes Craven
21. Prom Night (1980) Director: Paul Lynch
22. The Conjuring (2013) Director: James Wan
23.Don’t Breathe (2016) Director: Fede Alvarez
24.The Exorcist (1973) Director: William Friedkin
25. Graduation Day (1981) Director: Herb Freed

Nice to see you’ve included ‘The Changeling’. One of the very best ‘haunted houses’ films. I would, personally, also add ‘The Innocents’ (1961), and ‘The Haunting’ (1963) - both in good old black & white, with stunning cinematography.
All three films have always un-nerved me.

1 Like

I wont watch the remake!

What does he look like?

You changed your post a little bit … :wink:

Yeah,… I thought better of it.

I think you are right

Grabbers…2012. Nicely entertaining while you’re watching it. -A ball-of-flame crashes into the Sea off an island near Ireland. And mysterious tentacles start grabbing people. But it’s one of those movies when, after it’s over, you say to yourself: " Hey, wait a minute. Why did this happen and that happen… ? "

There’s some genuine tenseness, with severed heads thrown around… yet there’s a scene that might’ve worked equally in The Dark Crystal. With baby-tentacloids taking over a tavern, dancing and partying.

There’s also an ‘approaching storm’ that never arrives, which was the point of the island receiving no help from the mainland. It’s a forgivable flaw though. Like I said; nicely entertaining.

In Fear (2013, Jeremy Loverling)

A young couple is on the way to a music festival in Ireland, but it’s getting late so they decide to spend the night in a rustic hotel. While looking for the hotel, they are trapped in a maze of country roads and it soon becomes clear that somebody is playing a deadly game with them.

A small horror movie - it actually feels like a study in minimalism - that was well-received by genre aficionados and holds a 83% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It’s not bad, but with those ratings I would have expected it to be better. Like more movies of this type, it builds up tension very well, but fails to come up with a satisfying climax. Best thing about it is the cinematography of these dark country roads that seem to become narrower at every turn.

3/5

Okay, here we go again.

October is around the corner, we all know what that means: movie buffs from around the world are rejoicing in horror marathons and challenges. This year I am streching mine challenge to 40 days and I am combining it with popular Hoop-tober 4.0 challenge on letterboxd: ‎The Night Hooptober Came Home: Hoop-tober 4.0, a list of films by Cinemonster • Letterboxd

Hoop-tober 4.0 challenge consists of the these few easy rules:

• 6 sequels (mix-and-match. 6 total)
  • 6 countries
  • 6 decades
  • 6 films from before 1970
  • 6 films from the following: Carpenter, Raimi, Whale, Browning, Craven, Tom Holland (mix-and-match, or all one)
  • 3 people eating people (non-zombie)
  • 1 Hammer Film
  • 1 Romero Dead film
  • 1 terrible oversight (use the following link, filter out the films you’ve seen and picked the highest rated film from the list that you can get ahold of) ‎Browse Films • Letterboxd
  • And 2 Tobe Hooper Films (There must ALWAYS be a Hooper film)

…to which I have added these few categories of my own:

• Horror/western crossover
  • Stephen King
  • Animals/force of the nature/eco horror
  • Gothic/Religious
  • In space/From space/SF
  • This year’s monster: Vampires
  • Set in snow
  • Traped/Home Invasion/Survival
  • NoUSA
  • Halloween
  • SPECIAL CATEGORY: 80s Slasher

Idea is to award movie a point for each category it falls into, or lighter version would be just to match all categories. Special category is this year’s main theme.

There is no rule to watch at least one movie per day, so any number of movies will do. End is on Halloween off course.

So, here’s my list of 50 movies I am planning to watch (well, most of them): ‎40 Days of Night: No Sleep 'til Halloween, a list of films by mavuku • Letterboxd

You can follow my watched diary on letterboxd, and I will occasionaly post a summary here.

2 Likes

Think I might have a go at that this year.
Don’t think I’ll do one every day but it will be a good warm up for Spagvemberfest and an even better excuse to knock off the pile of horrors I have on my monumental “to watch” pile.

1 Like

I didn’t do a 31 Days of Halloween last year so I fancy one again now. I’ll work out a schedule this week. I used to (mostly) try not to repeat-watch any movies I’d watched in previous Halloweenathons gone by but I’m disregarding that this year, so everything’s back up for grabs. I also used to insist only on either Halloween-themed movies or strictly supernatural/witchy type stuff but I’m relaxing that rule, too.

I haven’t given SpagvemberFest much thought at all this year. Last year, I had all my movies planned by June! The one thing I had thought about was that I might make at least one movie a non-Italian western and one movie not a western at all, in honour of Mill Creek’s legendary 44-movie spaghetti western set which includes the American Apache Blood and the contemporary action thriller The Manhunt.

EDIT I’ve pulled together a crude thirty for SpagvemberFest now (no anomalies in the end). I might make a few alterations between now and when it starts, and I haven’t worked out which day I’ll be watching what, but I know that last year I went solely with titles I’d never seen or titles I’d only seen once or twice at the most which I felt were due a re-watch, and it was f*cking brutal. The year previous, I’d gone with my personal thirty favourites and it was easy so I’m going to go much more in that direction this year, though maybe not quite so structured. Just a bunch of titles I want to watch in rapid succession.

oh yes almost that time of the year again. this year I will most actively partake