Hopefully not OT but I am searching for a Western book title. Book was supposed to be made into a movie

When I was a kid I had a big thick paperback Mexican Revolution adventure novel about a group of misfit adventurers getting involved in the Mexican Revolution of 1910-1920.

There was a hardened American soldier of fortune, a young man escaping from jail, an old train-hopping hobo and his granddaughter (who was disguised as a boy) and several others. They are all on the run from the law in the USA and they meet up somehow and go down to Mexico together. At one point, they steal a fancy 1910s model Ford touring car belonging to a Mexican General and use it in their adventures. The back cover said it was soon to be a movie in the style of The Wild Bunch and Bonnie and Clyde, but the movie was never made.

The copy I had was a British import paperback with a green spine and/or back cover and the art had a Mexican bandit standing in the foreground waving a pistol, with a battle in a Mexican town behind him, showing small figures of the heroes in their car. I got the book in the early 80s but I think the copyright was 1973 or 1974.

This book just popped into my head when I was watching “A Bullet For The General” on DVD yesterday. I don’t recall the title or author of the book but I never finished it back then and I would like to get another copy. I know this is kind of Off Topic but if the mods object, feel free to delete it. I just can’t think of a place where there would be more people who might recall it.

1 Like

Sounds like the sort of thing I’d watch, but I don’t recall the book :thinking:

1 Like

9780586040836-us

Amazingly enough, when I woke up this morning, the title popped into my head! Escape From Sonora, by Will Bryant. Too bad it never made it to filming.

Thanks!

3 Likes