Hope for Cortijo el Fraile?

Those who have seen the building recently will be depressed by its condition and possible imminent collapse.
Today, however, the Voz de Almeria reports that all the key local authorities are in discussion about acquiring and saving it.
The Mayor of Nijar is said to have commissioned consultants to report by September with recommendations about how best to proceed.
Let us hope they are able to deliver.

[quote=“El Indalo, post:1, topic:1187”]Those who have seen the building recently will be depressed by its condition and possible imminent collapse.
Today, however, the Voz de Almeria reports that all the key local authorities are in discussion about acquiring and saving it.
The Mayor of Nijar is said to have commissioned consultants to report by September with recommendations about how best to proceed.
Let us hope they are able to deliver.[/quote]
Many thanks for that infor, El Indalo…
Let’s all hope that this is truly the case, and that somebody has finally seen sense, and decided to save and restore the beautiful building.
Having said that, I hope that - when I go back to Almeria next may - it’s not blocked off by renovators, so that I’m unable to get in and look around…

Thanks for letting us know, i’ve been there twice and the difference of a three year gap inbetween, it was scary how much more it had deterioated in that small space of time.

Yes - but the first time you climbed on it … :wink:

I wasn’t brave enough to climb on it again :-[

We’re goin back, it will be mended and we will climb - WE WILL CLIMB!!
the Lord demands it!! ;D

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:6, topic:1187”]We’re goin back, it will be mended and we will climb - WE WILL CLIMB!!
the Lord demands it!! ;D[/quote]

Amen to that ;D

Amen

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

maybe I should write a letter to the mayor :wink:

“Dear Lord of the greenhouses…”

I can only add that the site currently - October 2009 - looks abysmal. There is a lot of water in the lower rooms and floors, and I mean a lot. There is no sign of any repairs made so far, except that they painted the little tubular house on the right of the structure blistering white (afaik it was stone color until shortly).

The interior state was so bad I hardly dared to enter the structure, the main square inside the walls is also in state of decay. Some metal poles are placed to hold the outer walls up, but the force of gravity is driving them through the wall like spears, in some parts.

Sad, sad, for such a magnificent structure!

This drama is never ending

Thanks Sebastian. Don’t hold your breath!
My view has always been that all that is required is to stabilise the buildings as they now are (ruins) and, if possible, enable limited access. Grand projects are a diversion from that relatively simple purpose.
Un saludo.
Richard

1 Like