Help to identify a movie: A cowboy, an Indian and Sign Language

Hi there :slight_smile: Thank you for welcoming me into this group! I´m looking for an old western movie, where, in a scene, the main character, a cowboy, had to talk and negotiate with an Indian, and to do that they could use no words, but sign language, and also they had to be naked… Do anyone remember the scene? Do you know what movie is it? Thank you… :slight_smile:

Had to be naked?!? :astonished: :astonished:
If I had seen that film I’m sure I’d have remembered it but sadly it doesn’t ring a bell.

1 Like

Yes, according to the Indian, that was “the only way two men could speak truthfully, heart to heart, without costumes” or something like that. And, there was a girl with the cowboy, and when the two men striped naked she covered her eyes. Of course, the movie did not show actual nudity, at that time it just suggested it, showing only the bare chests of the men…

The film is Captain Apache.

2 Likes

On second thought, I don’t remember any woman being present during the scene I recall.

1 Like

In Captain Apache the Indian insists that Lee Van Cleef isn’t ready to talk to him “in that uniform of our enemy” or somesuch, then LVC grumbles about having to go through this every time he needs to talk with an Indian, then strips down to his undercrackers. But the Indian doesn’t strip and there’s no woman present. Also, there’s no sign language, they just talk (I’ve just had a quick nose at it on YouTube). So either Robert is badly misremembering it (more likely than one might think), I’ve just looked at the wrong scene in the right film (also bloody likely :grinning:) or it’s simply not that one (also likely for obvious reasons).

2 Likes

Thank you The_Man_With_a_Name and Last.Caress :slightly_smiling_face: that scene is very close - YouTube but not the one I´m looking for. Now I remember a little more about the movie plot, and it goes like this: The main character was an American (not an Indian like in Captain Apache), dressed in full cowboy clothes or military (cowboy style) clothes. And there was a girl indeed. The main character has to rescue her (either from white criminals or from another tribe) and he had to retrieve her to safety. He does rescue her, but later they had to go trough the lands of another tribe. Then is when he have to negotiate with this other Indian (a Chief or a Medicine Man, I think) . And they DO communicate in sign language, and they do get naked, and then they start negotiating, sited on the ground around a campfire. It was a very mystic scene… Of course, it´s also possible that I´m mixing two different films, or that my recollections of that movie are fainting with the years, but I do remember those details…

Come on @stanton, @ENNIOO, @Bill_san_Antonio or @aldo, get your thinking heads on. At least one of those four know this one. There isn’t a western made that those four can’t identify between them.

2 Likes

The only thing it remotely sounds like is ‘A Man Called Horse’, when Richard Harris goes through the sun vow ritual ? … but the other details mentioned don’t mean anything to me.

1 Like

So far only a vague memory crawls aloft, but I can’t nail it …

Pollack’s The Scalphunters came to my mind, as a film which could feature such kind of scene, but it does not fit the description above.

But don’t worry, if it exists there is a good chance I find it the next 50 years or so …

1 Like

Perhaps Comanche Station? I´ll give it a try! Comanche Station (1960) - Trailer - YouTube

Sorry, definitely not Comanche Station.

1 Like