Have You Seen Any Spaghettis in a Real Cinema?

I haven’t seen any in the cinema but my dad and his pals saw the dollars triolgy in theatres.

I saw a double feature of FISTFUL OF DOLLARS and FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE in the theater as a kid with my dad on a re-release back in the 60s. Also saw Clint’s American westerns from the same time-frame (JOE KIDD, HANG 'EM HIGH), although they of course aren’t true SW movies.

In the early 70s I saw a double feature of THEY CALL ME TRINITY and TRINITY IS STILL MY NAME in the theater when I convinced my mom to force my sister take me with her on a date.

I later saw STRANGER AND THE GUNFIGHTER at the drive-in in its first run with my Dad, and later still while at college, FIGHTING FISTS OF SHANGHAI JOE was the second feature at a drive-in right down the road from the school.

Well I do not know if there’s already a thread for this (feel free to merge if so).
Nothing like the big screen to really and fully appreciate a film, my experience with SW on the big screen goes like this

A fistfull of dollars
The good the bad and the ugly
Once upon a time in the west
Lo chiamavano Trinità…
…continuavano a chiamarlo Trinità
Trinità & Bambino… e adesso tocca a noi
Renegade (not sure if this counts as a SW)
Preparati la bara!
Il pistolero dell’Ave Maria
Keoma

I know i’ve seen others like The Sabata’s but not sure, maybe I just rented, but this ones I’m pretty sure. The Leone’s I saw it in the Cinemateca National, the others in regular cinemas mostly during beach Holidays when I was a kid.

There was already a topic. Although not seen the light of day in around 2 years.
Topics now merged. :slight_smile:

And to add my tuppence to the lists, I’ve seen:

Trinity is Still My Name at a Drive-in in Australia back in the early seventies (as mentioned above)
The Dollars Trilogy outdoors in Almeria. (Magnificent)
I also saw GBU outdoors in London at Somerset House which was a great night too.
The Great Silence and Django Kill! at the BFI Southbank. Great experience but almost empty theatres which was a shame.
Once Upon a Time in the West in London during the Film Festival a couple of years ago. Chris Frayling introduced it which was a nice bonus.
Return of Ringo, The Big Gundown and Navajo Joe at the Venice Film Festival. Along with the above mentioned Almeria trip one of the best weekends of my life. Man, I wish they’d do another retrospective like that again.

I’ve seen all these films (often repeatedly) on VHS and DVD but all of them are so much better on a big screen.

I was lucky enough to see The Mercanary, The Big Gundown, Death Rides a Horse, Navajo Joe and Sabata (as well as the man with no name movies) on the big screen here in LA. I’ve seen a few others in theaters with smaller screens…

Actually I’m not that old but, back in the 80’s when I was a kid, cinemas in beach holidays towns (and not only in Algarve), in Sesimbra for instance there was always a Trinita film during the summer, still famous films at the time, I also remember watching other Bud Spencer Terence Hill no SW films.

We have 2 theaters in LA that show SWs from time to time: The New Beverly (Quentin Tarantinos theater) and The Egyptian. I asked the guy who runs it why they dont show more SWs and he said he loves them but cant justify showing them often because of the low turnout (with exception to the Leone movies) :frowning:

[quote=“Phil H, post:45, topic:417”]Once Upon a Time in the West in London during the Film Festival a couple of years ago. Chris Frayling introduced it which was a nice bonus.[/quote]And not forgetting that we had a little chat with him aftewards. :wink:

hey guys, havent posted in a while…its interesting this topic is brought up because at the end of this month one of my local theater chains (Alamo Drafthouse) is showing GBU…im so excited…GBU on the big screen…cant fucking wait…plus they’ll be serving spaghetti as a bonus ;D

Cool, which version of GBU did they show?

Did you mean GBU or Big Gundown?

All the films I saw in Venice were uncut, in Italian with English subs. GBU in Almeria and London were both the restored.

I’ve seen a few Peckinpah westerns in the cinema, but no spaghetti westerns. :frowning:

I have a feeling we have two of these threads.

[quote=“Phil H, post:52, topic:417”]Did you mean GBU or Big Gundown?

All the films I saw in Venice were uncut, in Italian with English subs. GBU in Almeria and London were both the restored.[/quote]

Cool thanks. Sorry I meant Big Gundown, had a little brain fart with the abbeviated initials there.

Look back a few posts Silence and you’ll see this one:

[quote=“Phil H, post:44, topic:417”]There was already a topic. Although not seen the light of day in around 2 years.
Topics now merged. :)[/quote]
:slight_smile:

Ok, good :).

Viewed a couple at the cinema as mentioned earlier in the thread, but The Great Silence is one I would very much like to see at the cinema.

Ditto. Additionally, I have seen Cutthroats Nine, If You Meet Sartana, Pray for your Death, Minnesota Clay, and Duck, You Sucker.

I was lucky enough during the '80s to watch a number of SWs in a theater.
As I recall the films are

The Dollars trilogy (twice)
My name is nobody (twice)
Il ritorno di Ringo
Un dollario bucatto
La collera del vento (summer of '82,thought I’d see a Trintiy sequel but left the cinema crying due to Hill’s death)
Il bianco,il giallo,il nero
Man of the East
Django
Genius
Arizona Colt
Buffalo Bill, l’eroe del far west

Interestingly enough,I always missed a Trinity screening and still curse the theater owner who didn’t let me see Ace’s high due to guidance restrictions…

1 Like