Gunman of 100 Crosses / Una pistola per 100 croci (Carlo Croccolo, 1971)

DVD turned up some days ago, but luckily I found this brief review about the dvd to sum it up:

DVD Features:

• Only German sound
  • Movie Trailer
  • Picture Gallery
  • Three spaghetti westerns Trailer

Summary: Italo-Western Western from 1971 under the direction of Carlo Croccolo. To my knowledge, the film has been shown so far in the German speaking only on television. The duration of the film is at 9 minutes shorter than the original duration. The DVD shows the film also in poor image quality.

Only German audio? Thatā€™s a shame.

Hi Guys,
I bought this from Cine city as a DVD-r. Itā€™s in English and finnish subtitles. I think it comes from the vhs source. It looks very sharp to me. And the sound is OK. Only one think is not so good. On my television it is cut off left and right.
Buy the way : I bought some time ago at least 100 spaghettis on dvd-R and they are pretty good. There are more than 200 titles (almost all with english languages and/or subtitles.
http://www.cinecityplanet.com/index.php?item=&action=page&group_id=20000060&page=0&lang=en

You are really paying 12 or 13 Bucks for a DVD-R of a bootleg?
Versions which you can trade or download for nothing? Or versions which are ripped illegally from licensed DVDs?

Hi Stanton, when nobody show you the way , where to go, what can I do. Beside that site, I only have Amazon , Ebay and Bol.com. As I am from Belgium , I try to find all my westerns/Spaghetti Western with Dutch subtitels. Thatā€™s not often. And when I donā€™t find what I am looking for I search the net and this is from a guy from holland. Soā€¦ ! So Stanton, explane me where to go, or what to do. Because one thing is true, it costs me a whole lot of money. Thx

A whole bunch of those dvdrs sold by cinecity make no sense today. There are rips of stuff already out on bluray which means that you are getting bad quality stuff costing you a lot of money plus its not exactly helping bringing more official releases out.

Only Dutch subtitles? Come on thats not going to happen and is an unreasonable demand. If I had insisted on Danish subtitles I would have 20 spaghetti westerns in my collection.

Hi Soren (with a slash through the o)
Off course , cinecity is not the only place where I buy my movies. And you would be surprized how many I found with dutch subtitles. About 100 which are on the SWDB. And almost all the rest is in English or with english subtitles. And the rest is in German or French. ( I do speak Dutch, English, German and French).
But everybody tells about rips, but nobody tells were to find them :wink:
And as I am moving out in july to Thailand, I want to have a lot off dvdā€™s to watch, spending my time in the old west, living in the east !!

No you misunderstood me. I meant the rips on the dvdrs you linked to. You should never buy something that are mearly rips of an official release. If you understand German and English you are well off and there are plenty of blu-rays and dvds you can buy with no problem at a price not higher than what cinecity is offering.

Cine City - Fucking rip off city! Those prices are outrageous - and Iā€™ll bet there are many of them acquired for free by the seller.

Iā€™m sorry that you have been cheated by the people who run this scam company.

Why some people have an aversion to free download sites in preference to these dealers is beyond my comprehension - The dealer is getting his ā€˜productā€™ for nothing from the same sources. :frowning_face:

Cine City and Cult Action are really overpriced. I bought a few Cult Action discs a while back out of pure desperation when I couldnā€™t seem to find the movies anywhere. Wouldnā€™t bother with either of those sites now. For some reason, when I did buy from Cult Action, I was under the impression that they were going to be pressed discs and not DVD-Rs.

Hi Soren (with a slash through the o)
Of course, I always go for the official release, than I look for the best quality, then lenght of the movie (uncut or not), then subtitles in Dutch or English, then English language and then german or french language. All the movies I ever bought from Cine city are nowhere available anymore. Even in de SWDB there are no entryā€™s for dvd and/or VHS. Itā€™s the website for the last effort or last tryā€¦And yes, they are expencive, but I get 11% reduction and free shippingā€¦

Donā€™t pay any attention to that. It may say that it includes free shipping and whatnot, but in fact itā€™s just a simple trick intended to incentivize you to buy his shitty releases.

Well, thatā€™s bootlegging for ya. Nothing has changed for the last 10 years apparently. The same shitty releases circulating around the web uninhibitedly.

Just to get an idea, hereā€™s a comparison between the 4:3 version from DuelTV and the low-resolution YouTube version with French audio and correct AR

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a review of this not too well-known movie, that could easily be mixed up with the PLL vehicle Una Pistola per Cento Bare ā€¦ Bare, croci, whatever, in any case the title says there are hundreds of them.

Anyway, this low-low-budget affair is not too bad

centocroci8

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Gunman_of_One_Hundred_Crosses_Review

3 Likes

I really enjoyed this one. Interesting to know that the only other film Croccolo directed was Black Killer, which is probably my favourite of the two. Would love to see both films on Blu-ray.

Does anyone know the source of this French-language version on YouTube? Does it come from a DVD that somehow none of us know about? I mean, if not, how is it widescreen? Television broadcast?
Oh, by the way, havenā€™t posted here in ages. Hello again, everyone.

I have a widescreen version from an unknown source and dubbed into English. Looks better than my Greek and Finnish tapes but still just VHS quality. Looks like itā€™s been recorded from a TV onto VHS.

Do you happen to know the aspect ratio? The old rips were cropped to 1.33:1, while the German DVD was stilled cropped, though wider at 1.85:1, while the French YouTube version is the full width 2.35:1.
Just interested in identifying all the various versions of this movie that exist out there. Maybe one of the wizards on CG can make a more definitive version one dayā€¦

This Italian TV print was dubbed in English and posted at CG a few years ago :slight_smile:

1 Like

That surprises me, I was convinced that Gunman of 100 Crosses was aired on IRIS for the first time 8-9 months ago!