Gunfight at Red Sands / Gringo / Duello nel Texas (Ricardo Blasco, 1963)

interesting, which one is available where, or is the original theatrical English dub even available anywhere? do you have a source for us to read up on this?

The original English dub seems to be the dub thatā€™s in circulation on dvd, youtube, etcā€¦ The US dub seems to be unavailable on official releases to my knowledge at this time. Maybe on one of those cheap mill creek sets? No way to confirm. I have a few prints of the American TV version on 16mm, but not an easily accessible source for sharing. I recall hearing Peter Fernandez voice playing the role of Manuel, so I would assume it was re-recorded at Titra studios in New York sometime in the late 60s when it was prepped for TV syndication like many foreign movies at the time.

5 Likes

I saw this one the first time 10 years ago and I was surprised how good it was. A professionally made epic whodunnit, This is easily Harrisons best one along with Vengeance.

Harrison is convincing in the lead and I really liked incredibly cute and innocent looking Lezana. She added so much charm to the story. The music goes from a corny main song to thriller like themes.

At the end you will have this feeling that you have experienced the big adventure with the main characters. The style of the movie is one of a kind. Not really American and not really Italian either.

1 Like

It must be set around 1910 revolution because everyone has automatic revolvers.

Ooh !

I didnā€™t spot the automatic revolvers.

The costumes and decor in the western town arenā€™t really 1910 though.

1 Like

Yes that might be true, I am not expert at the USA historical realities but given the fact it is supposed to be some small town somewhere at the border with Mexico I would not be surprised if the life in the town still looked decades behind to what the life looked like in more inhabited areas.

I suppose it doesnā€™t matter as most westerns - including American westerns - get the decor and weapons wrong (1850-1920 being a big ā€˜blobā€™) and canā€™t tell the difference between a town marshal, a sheriff and a US marshal.

1 Like