Gregory Peck vs. Robert Mitchum

Two great actors who have done similar roles to each others. Who do you chose?

Easy one Robert Mitchum, Gregory Peck is nothing special IMO.

If well-cast both were excellent

They both had a strong screen presence and and a no-nonsense acting style; seems to me Peck embodied more the introspective, thoughtful type, while Mitchum was more the rebellious type. Peck, or at least his ideal screen persona, was more at odds with himself, while Mitchum was more at odds with society, or more in general circumstances.

Mitchum for me, by a long shot.

Hands down - Gregory Peck.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:3, topic:1868”]If well-cast both were excellent

They both had a strong screen presence and and a no-nonsense acting style; seems to me Peck embodied more the introspective, thoughtful type, while Mitchum was more the rebellious type. Peck, or at least his ideal screen persona, was more at odds with himself, while Mitchum was more at odds with society, or more in general circumstances.[/quote]

That pretty sums up Cape Fear. Both were brilliant in it but Mitchum got the more memorable part. Both very good acters but I have to go with Mitchum for this role, and for his part in Night of the Hunter.

I went with Mitchum myself but I have a great respect both personally and acting wise for Peck.

He was known as a real nice guy and was very active in Liberal politics and Civil Rights. But he did the rebellious thing I think a little in Yellow Sky. Peck, I think was very similar to Mitchum in acting. Both had tall figures and were handsome and most importantly, they both had those great deep voices. But most importantly, they both had a low key, cool underacting style that always made them some of the coolest characters in films.

Mitchum’s performance in Night of the Hunter is his best performance. Not to mention his personal favorite of his roles and movies he starred in.

I also read that when filming the climax of Cape Fear, Peck accidentaly swung too close and actually punched Mitchum square in the face. Both being professional, they continued with the scene. When Mitchum got back to his trailer, he fainted at the sheer pain of the punch, later saying, “I have no sympathy for the idiot who gets into a fight with Gregory Peck.”

Both are grade A actors but for me Mitchum is one scary dude. Night Of The Hunter or Cape Fear are all you need to see to show that. Maybe Peck was tougher in real life but RM looks like the guy at the end of the bar that we have all seen & nobody wants to fuck with!

Mitchum. He can be so many different things and my favourite film he starred in was The Friends Of Eddie Coyle.

I gave my vote to Peck. Not easy to say why but I thought he was great in all his movies and had no fear to play in so many different genres. Some Films I most recognize him for are The Boys from Brazil, The Omen, Guns from Navarone, The big country, The Scarlett and the Black, Duel in the Sun, The Gunfighter, To Kill a Mockingbird and Moby Dick. Overall he did more better movies as Robert Mitchum.

On the other side Robert Mitchum has such a screen presence and was always great as bad boy. He was great in all his film noir. In Night of the Hunter and El Dorado he had such memorable performances. It’s a tie between those two great actors but I liked Gregory Peck always a bit more. :slight_smile:

Please, explain. What similar roles?

This is like comparing chalk and cheese for me.
Such different styles and roles. I have high regard for both of them.

I choose Mitchum, but i like Peck a lot as well

Peck is probably an underrated actor, but Mitchum was a class on his own. I like both, but Mitchum is the man.

Regarding your earlier question Stanton, I didn’t necessarily mean that they had completely similar roles, just that they both had very similar physical mannerisms and acting styles.