Gothic Horror Thread

I actually like Euro Gothic period horror better than Giallos. I still have a whole baglog of gothic horror from Universal, Amicus, and AIP that I haventt seen yet but hope to.

Some of the period gothic films that I really love are:

Bava: Kill baby kill, black sunday, whip and the body, black sabbath
Corman: House of usher, pit and the pendulum, Haunted palace
Caiano: nightmare castle
Herzog: Nosferatu
Coppola: dracula
Burton: sleepy hollow.

I also like alot of the “modern day” gothic horror films as well.

What are some recommendations for me. Which ones do you like as well?

Do you like Hammers also Colonel?
There’s a whole lot there to explore if you do.

Yeah hammer too! I just forgot to mention it.

I just love watching movies that feature castles, graveyards, dungeons, torture chambers, secret passageways, tombs, crypts etc…

I just ordered VCI’s City of the Dead aka Horror Hotel, its a modern day gothic but from the screenshots it looks alot like Black Sunday. Looking forward to viewing it.

I love Gothic Horror. In fact we have a Hammerthon planned for this sunday with my two eldest daughters. Haven’t decided which films we’ll watch yet but likely to be a Dracula, a Frankenstein and one other. Maybe The Devil Rides Out or Curse of the Mummy’s Tomb. Ideal family viewing. :slight_smile:

Have you seen Hound of the Baskervilles yet? I haven’t seen it but I’m planning on getting the dvd for that one as well.

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:1, topic:2066”]I actually like Euro Gothic period horror better than Giallos. I still have a whole baglog of gothic horror from Universal, Amicus, and AIP that I haventt seen yet but hope to.

Some of the period gothic films that I really love are:

Bava: Kill baby kill, black sunday, whip and the body, black sabbath
Corman: House of usher, pit and the pendulum, Haunted palace
Caiano: nightmare castle
Herzog: Nosferatu
Coppola: dracula
Burton: sleepy hollow.

I also like alot of the “modern day” gothic horror films as well.

What are some recommendations for me. Which ones do you like as well?[/quote]all of the ones you mention are good, col. have you tried a british gothic from 1964 The Black Torment? i also love Corman’s films, i take it you’ve seen The Premature Burial, Tomb of Ligeia,Masque of The Red death etc , how about " And Now The Screaming Starts" and " Torture chamber of Dr Sadism" with Lex Barker & Christopher Lee?depending how far you want to go back 1935 film " The Black Room" with Boris Karloff is also a good one. hope that is of some use.

“Hound of the Baskervilles” is brilliant. Really, it is. Cushing gives an absoloutly astounding performence as Holmes. I strongly advise you to see it.

An excellent film, this and very gothic. I’m not sure I would call it a horror, however. Apart from the opening with all those skulls, it isn’t designed to scare you.

[quote=“John Welles, post:8, topic:2066”]An excellent film, this and very gothic. I’m not sure I would call it a horror, however. Apart from the opening with all those skulls, it isn’t designed to scare you.[/quote]One of my favorites and yes it’s more art house than horror but then again more than 90% of all the horror films I’ve seen didn’t scare me a bit.

Actually I prefer Herzog’s Nosferatu over Murnau’s silent film.

Love the silent film… very very Gothic.

Thanks for the recommendations everybody.

I’ve seen all the Corman/Poe movies but nothing from Corman outside of that.
Herzog’s Nosferatu isn’t scary but its creepy, and thats good enough. I like the 1922 silent version but generally silent pictures are not my kind of bag. I normally don’t care much for Sherlock holmes outside of the Jeremy Brett series but it Hounds looks like a good one I’ll definitely be watching that.

Can The Cabinet of Dr Caligari be considered as Ghotic Horror Movie?
I always appreaciated that one . :slight_smile:

Yes, I know what you mean. “Freaks” didn’t scare me, but in its day it would have. “Nosferatu” on the other hand, probably wouldn’t have scared me when it came out.

You can see when watching “Hounds of the Baskervills” where Brett based his performence on.

[quote=“Paco Roman, post:13, topic:2066”]Can The Cabinet of Dr Caligari be considered as Ghotic Horror Movie?
I always appreaciated that one . :)[/quote]
“The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari” is also (especially as it’s ninty years old) very good, but I’ld lable it German Expressionism rather that Gothic.

The 1922 Nosferatu still scares me I must say…