Good ending vs. Bad ending

Which do you prefer?

I prefer an ending which suits all what had happened before. It could be good, it could be bad, but it has to be suitable.

Exactly, it depends

I am in agree with you Stanton and Alk0 as long as the ending is appropriate I am fine with sad or happy endings.

@MG:
Why don’t you name a scenario to help voting.

A happy ending wouldn’t have worked for The Great Silence, it would’ve been an anti-climax and I think we would not love the film as much as we do had Corbucci used this silly alternative ending.

On the other hand I think we would have blamed Corbucci if he had killed off Django at the cemetary and let Major Jackson have his way.

Sometimes a happy ending forces itself on, seems inevitable, sometimes a happy ending, and it’s not always easy to say why. I guess being able to pick the right outcome of several possible ones is part of what is called ‘talent’.

Wow. I’m getting used to this ‘agreeing with you’ thing. Kind of scary. :slight_smile:

I do prefer films with bad endings.

I prefer bad endings in Horror Flicks.
Happy Endings with overwehlming music can be very annoying. :smiley:

[quote=“Paco Roman, post:9, topic:1867”]I prefer bad endings in Horror Flicks.
Happy Endings with overwhelming music can be very annoying. :D[/quote]
Then how do you feel about Manificent Seven. Not a real happy ending but Bernstein’s score is humongous.

As other people have said, it depends on whats gone before. But, an unhappy endding is still pretty unusal nowadays for it to stick in your memory for a while.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:6, topic:1867”]A happy ending wouldn’t have worked for The Great Silence, it would’ve been an anti-climax and I think we would not love the film as much as we do had Corbucci used this silly alternative ending.

On the other hand I think we would have blamed Corbucci if he had killed off Django at the cemetary and let Major Jackson have his way.

Sometimes a happy ending forces itself on, seems inevitable, sometimes a happy ending, and it’s not always easy to say why. I guess being able to pick the right outcome of several possible ones is part of what is called ‘talent’.[/quote]

I have thought about this a lot.

Both ends are haphazardly for me. The great idea about the ending of TGS was that it wasn’t necessary, it wasn’t foreseeable, it wasn’t made for a message.

Silence could have shot down all the bounty hunters, like in all the other SWs, and it would have been still a great film, but not as special as the released version. Of course it had to be made better than in the lousy “alternative” ending included on the DVDs, without the surprise return of the Sheriff.

Corbucci could have used this idea already in Django, and he would have got the same effect (only that then there would have been no Django series, which wouldn’t have been a great loss as all these films would have worked also without the Django tag).
The situation was similar hopeless for both with their crushed hands, but only in the real world.

My sentiments exactly. I love a down beat ending when it is right but Return of Ringo is a good example of where a resoundingly happy ending can be absolutely perfect.

I guess you like the good endings at heart :smiley:

‘Those desperate men who smell of dirt and death’ has a great bad ending.
Like Scherps said ‘Django’ has a good one and i can’t even imagine a bad one for that movie.
‘Texas,addio’ - is it a good or a bad one,what do you think ?

Oops, tells you what I really think. :wink:

Good, in that Dell’Acqua’s irritating character is no more.

Looked at that way you’re right :wink:

I agree that it depends on context. Although bad endings seem to stick with me longer - perhaps because we are overall less used to it, at least in mainstream fiction.

Or bad, cause he wasn’t shot much earlier …

i like the bad ending in minesota clay but not the bad ending in great silence