Gold mines in westerns

Gold mines are something that’s generally associated with the Western genre, yet I’ve never seen them in an actual Western movie (outside of pale rider - but even in that movie you don’t really see anything inside any mines iirc).

I find it really odd and interesting how gold mines are something commonly associated with the Western genre despite not appearing much or even at all in western movies. The only Western media with prominent use of gold mines are Western video games, but movies don’t really have gold mines. I wonder where the association originated from.

1 Like

They are out there. Just off the top of my head, in the latest Arrow box set, Find a Place to Die features a gold mine.

6 Likes

The excellent The Ruthless Four is about gold mine.

3 Likes

Beyond the Law, I believe

5 Likes

Have a nice Funeral… Sartana will pay is basically all about a gold mine.

Spaghetti Westerns with individual scenes or shootouts in gold mines there are many.

As for US westerns, there’s obviously the role model for the above mentioned Ruthless Four and Find a place to die, namely Garden of Evil. And Paint your Wagon is also all about gold mining. :wink:

5 Likes

Fort Yuma Gold has a shootout in a gold mine.

4 Likes

Not a gold mine but the beginning of “there will be blood” about the mining for oil I found very realistic.

2 Likes

Ah man, you reminded me of how fantastic that film is. The time flies by, even with minimal dialogue.

I found the first part amazing but the second parts dragged on and I did not like the ending. But that is how I experienced this movie. It is currently on Netflix here in the Netherlands but I watched on DVD

Black Jack has a great shootout at a gold mine

2 Likes

Lots of gold mine action in this one … :wink:

5 Likes

There are really a few SWs with mines involved Turn I’ll Kill You, My Name is Nobody, The Genius to name a few.

3 Likes

Ballad of a Gunman AKA Pistoleros is another one

3 Likes

No amount of gold can make up for the lack of action in Wyler’s face, though. :wink:

2 Likes