Giallo Genre (Italian Thrillers)

Do It Yourself Giallo Generator[url]http://www.braineater.com/misc/giallo.html[/url]

I’m sure you’ve all seen this old site, but I sometimes find it fun to go and peruse it. There’s some amusing stuff on there.

Yes, but it’s indeed funny generator.

I was about to make a comic book story based on the generator once. But I have lots of abandoned projects.

I was going to use some of them as writing prompts, too. The idea was lost when my oaters became successful, though. Maybe one day…

House of Blue Shadows
Man returns to his childhood home with his girlfriend and has to face the trauma from his past. Not typical giallo with high bodycount but one which leans more on the mysterious atmosphere.

This one was also from the 80’s. Worth watching if you like moody gialli like House with the Laughing Windows.

Worth watching if you like moody gialli like House with the Laughing Windows.

I’ve always really liked that one.

I haven’t seen HOUSE OF BLUE SHADOWS, but it sounds good.

Mario Siciliano: Evil Eye (Malocchio)
-Very weird giallo with supernatural elements. A playboy (Jorge Rivero) is having nightmares and fits of amnesia and he starts to believe he’s going crazy and is forced to commit murders. Anthony Steffen is the policeman trying to keep up with the emerging bodies. Sounds like a kinda normal giallo so far, eh? Well, film is filled with surreal and supernatural elements, mysterious people and events. There’s some sort of satanic cultists, objects keep moving by themselves, people disappear in thin air and in the most memorable scene we have Eduardo Fajardo vomiting alive frog. All this weird stuff happens but we never know why. Nothing is explained until the final twist… which i’m not going to tell you.

Evil Eye sounds like its up my alley, noted…

I enjoyed that one immensely as well. Works nicely with some green leaf to the brain.

Duly noted :wink:

Plot of fear

Extra-sleazy but with tongue firmly in cheek and with A-league cast.

Have to admit I didn’t care much for EVIL EYE. But maybe I wasn’t in the right mood (it happens)?

Last night I watched Evil Eye and liked it a lot. Good atmosphere, nice soundtrack, and some really funny moments like when the main character tells his girl that he feels like going on a trip, she gets excited and he replies, “Alone.” …hahah, really funny scene.

The film is just a really enjoyable viewing.

Interesting to see Eduardo Fajardo in a non-spaghetti role

Sette note in nero / The Psychic (1977)

As I’ll always take suspense and atmosphere over blood and gore, this Fulci’s giallo was a very pleasant surprise. Very little of his notorious gore, no nudity, but A LOT of atmosphere instead. Fulci really excels in dreams/visions scenes, it’s probably his greatest forte, and here in those sequences he practically makes exemplary showcase what the giallo is all about. He also quotes himself couple of times (the cliff, the church), I always like that kind of stuff. Jennifer O’Neill is captivating in the lead role.

Devil in the Brain
-Rare giallo from Sergio Sollima. Not an usual giallo with gloved serial killer, violence and nudity but something more subtle. A bit ponderous at times but with great and unexpected ending. Soundtrack is by Morricone.

What year is it from? I never realized Sollima ever made a Giallo, although of course it makes perfect sense.

It’s from 1972.

I had not heard about this film either until I spotted it from cg.

DEVIL IN THE BRAIN sounds like a good film. I’ll have to hunt that sucker down…

Il Sesso Della Strega, 1973… Slightly above-average occult whodunit that moves too fast. -A wealthy family of 20-somethings gather at their patriarch’s villa for a will-reading (they don’t get their inheritances till they’re 30). But some of them do get killed. And have sex. There should’ve been a cinematic way to depict gender-transformation rather than showing the audience a needle. I never got the feeling of depravity above the coffin-gimmick level. But the film delivers mood and ambiance. And it’s nicely scored by Daniele Patucchi, though there’s a rock-club sequence that doesn’t really fit.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:574, topic:520”]Devil in the Brain
-Rare giallo from Sergio Sollima. Not an usual giallo with gloved serial killer, violence and nudity but something more subtle. A bit ponderous at times but with great and unexpected ending. Soundtrack is by Morricone.[/quote]

Watched it yesterday (terrible copy unfortunately). Some question were left unanswered and I was always one step ahead of the plot (competing with the plot can be part of the fun if you like murder mysteries), but the special punch was saved for the finale - as always with Sollima I would say, he really paid attention for strong endings.

Phantom of Death
-Interesting 80’s giallo by Deodato with Michael York, Donald Pleasance and Edwige Fenech. A famous pianist finds out he has a rare disease which makes him grow older in short time, he goes insane and starts killing women. Different kind of giallo because there’s no who-dunit aspect. We know from the start who is the murderer he’s shown also as a kind of pitiful and suffering character. Interesting plot with good cast but still average film.