Giallo Genre (Italian Thrillers)

Naked Girl Killed in the Park
-Title of the film is misleading because the film is mostly about old man killed in the amusement park. Same day the old man was killed he took a life insurance for million dollars. Insurance company sends an agent to investigate the heirs. Heirs are old mans wife and two daughters who all have been secluded to the mansion and are all bit crazy. Average giallo from Alfonso Brescia. Cast is pretty good but film lacks some tension at times.

Death Occurred Last Night (La morte risale a ieri sera), 1970… Frank Wolff and Gabriele Tinti are excellent as police-detectives, investigating the mysterious disappearance of Raf Vallone’s mentally-deficient 25-year-old daughter. None of the actors display manic or obsessive behavior, so the script flows smoothly… like an actual investigation. The minimal flashback-sequences fit right in. I loved it. And Gianni Ferrio’s diverse musical-score is richly spectacular.

Bloody Moon
-Jess Franco’s pretty entertaining slasher from the early 80’s. It’s one of the most “normal” films from Franco (from what I’ve seen) in a way because there isn’t that much of his trademark artistic touches like crazy zooms and stuff and the plot is also very easy to follow. Plenty of beautiful girls, some nudity and lots of gore. Some of the killings are well done and gruesome looking but some are cheaply made and look laughable. Film is obviously made after the success of American slasher films but in my opinion it resemblances more traditional gialli.

Eyes Behind the Wall
-Crippled old writer and his young wife have a habit of voyering their equallly perverse tenant. In the meantime their man servant is having his own fun collecting her mistresses pubic hair and having pedophilic encounters. I really liked this film about sexual perversions, there’s just everything: voyerism, incest, pedophilia, fetishism, rape, homosexuals. But even with such a theme the film is not exploitation, maybe not even a giallo. More in the territory of psychological thriller/drama. Cast includes Fernando Rey and John Philip Law.

Recently watched Last House on the Beach, in which characters are watching this film, the ridiculous club scene.

The movie is not good, but has some memorable scenes, such as the one just mentioned and JPL painfully getting fucked in the ass.

[size=12pt][font=times new roman]I’m pretty new to this genre, but I have seen a few now. The only one I actually own yet is All the Colors of the Dark. [/font][/size]

It’s one of the best.

[size=12pt][font=times new roman]I really enjoyed it. I love Edwige Fenech.[/font][/size]

Beautiful lady.

Recently watched [glow=yellow,2,300]Das Auge des Bösen aka The French Sex Murders[/glow]

Pretty cheap and cheesy one but entertaining anyway.

[glow=yellow,2,300]Un Bianco Vestito per Marialè / Oasis of Fear[/glow]

The Camera Obscura release is great, while the Shameless release is of inferior quality but still watchable.

Both movies are really good. Not the usual Gialli + Ornella Muti naked.

[quote=“Bluntwolf, post:531, topic:520”][glow=yellow,2,300]Un Bianco Vestito per Marialè / Oasis of Fear[/glow]

The Camera Obscura release is great, while the Shameless release is of inferior quality but still watchable.

Both movies are really good. Not the usual Gialli + Ornella Muti naked.[/quote]

The Italian disc of OASIS OF FEAR is the same inferior master.

Amuck
-I saw the trailer from youtube and I thought this would be one of the greatest gialli. Well it was not, it’s pretty boring offering nothing new. But it’s worth watching because of the beutiful lead actress Barbara Bouchet and supporting Rosalba Neri. Bouchet has enough nude scenes and there’s even a hot lesbian scene with two actresses.

Don’t know if its considered a Giallo. Probably more horror but I watched Stagefright by Michele Soavi. Really good! Much better (and gorier) than I expected.

@sartana1

I agree with you on that. “Stagefreight” is a top notch horror movie.
IMO it’s one of the best slasher movies ever made.

Rating 9 out 10.

Stage Fright is great. I really like all of Michele Soavi’s films

Argento: Opera
-Finally watched this and what a pleasant film it was. Not among the very best Argento films but possibly better than anything he’s done after this. Film starts like if it’s going to be a remake of Phantom of the Opera but soon turns out to something different, violent and perverse thriller. There’s many great scenes and ideas, most famously the bullet through the peep hole scene. Not sure if I liked the weird ending or not.

Almost forgot this
The Cat in the Heat
-Not sure if this can be called giallo though. A man arrives at his home and find his neighbour murdered by his wife. Wife tells how it all happened while the husband tries to hide the body from nosy gatekeeper. So there’s no real murder mystery, it’s more psychological thriller or something like that. Quite boring film with so laughable twist in the end you have to see it to believe.

I’ve recently watched this and I must say I don’t know what to think about it. The film contains plenty of great ideas and visuals, but also a lot of shortcomings which ultimately left me somehow puzzled and unsatisfied. I didn’t like the ending at all - it seemed Argento had pulled it out of his ass. My review should appear on Furious Cinema in a couple of days or a week.

Yes, it wasn’t easy film. I think i need to watch it 2 or 3 times more until i can really say if it was great or bad or what. But there was definitely some scenes and imaginery which are some of the best Argento has ever done.