Gatling Gun / Quel caldo maledetto giorno di fuoco (Paolo Bianchini, 1968)

Yes, thanks for the DVD review. Itā€™s a neat little movie, from memory, and Iā€™ll be picking this up.

Yes, looks like a nice release at last.

Would have bought the DVD if I hadnt found a VHS copy earlier this year. Itā€™s a solid one with competent action scenes and an interesting plot. Nothing mindblowing, but well worth a watch. 3/5

Just picked this up. Couldnā€™t believe FYE had one copy of it. I had to grab it. Great solid DVD.

Just finished watching the new Dorado DVD of this one, last night.

To be honest, I was just slightly disappointed with their release. I will explain why in a few secondsā€¦

Visually the release is quite good! As has been stated there are only a few scratches visible on the source printā€“otherwise it is very fine, indeed.
I have never seen this film looking so good!

My only real quibble with this release is the English audio track. To me, it sounds a little distorted and thin (especially compared to the clearer, more robust Italian audio track which this disc also contains).
There is a ā€œdisclaimerā€ that shows up just before the beginning of the movie telling the viewer that certain scenes will be shown only in Italian with English subtitles as these scenes were never dubbed into English.
Well, these scenes were dubbed into English as I have a DVD-R of an old, fullscreen, VHS release which contains most, if not all, of these scenes with English audio! Hence, my very slight disappointment with this release.
It would have also been nice if they had offered English subtitles for the entire film, allowing the non-Italian speaking viewer to watch the entire film with the superior Italian audio track.
But, I am probably being overly picky!

The film itself is, in my opinion, very enjoyable though definitely uneven. All the action sequences are incredibly well done; so, that counts for a lot!

I think I know why Quentin Tarantino likes this one so well, folks. There are a couple of scenes that sort of play into QTā€™s apparent foot fetish! For one, John Ireland throws a knife and kills a guy with his foot. And in another, a lovely lady in bed with our hero, draws said heroā€™s pistol from its holster with her footā€¦and said hero ends up kissing her foot, too. Thatā€™s right up our man Quentinā€™s alley! ha ha!

Overall, the fine folks at Dorado Films have given us Spaghetti Western fans another great disc for our collectionsā€¦and I recommend it!

Surprised at the mostly negative views on this film.

Just watched the Dorado release last night and I loved it. Lots of action and I thought the action sequences were well thought out and executed skillfully, lots of camera zooms and different kinds of shots- practically overflowing with them, even a very gory scene for a spaghetti with the guy digging the bullet out of his handā€¦

The actors did a great job also

There really wasnā€™t anything I didnā€™t like about this film.

Solid spaghetti for me, very possibly in my new top 20

And I almost forgot, even some good laughs in this one. Like the bartender asking if he can get Woods some liquor, to which Woods replies in rapidfire fashion ā€œThis early in the morning?? What are you, crazy?? Get me coffee, a gallon of coffee!!ā€ and then asks Ireland if he can get him some coffee and Ireland reacts the same, telling him he must be crazy and to get him some liquor

There was at least one more bit of dialog I thought was pretty funny, but it is escaping me right now

Yeah! Quite hilarious, I had some laughs too! ;D

Yes, this film definitely has some good moments and is enjoyable.

I hope my comments above are not being misunderstood. I like the film and I like the Dorado release (it is the best one available, to be sure!).
What I didnā€™t like is the claim that some scenes were never dubbed into English when I have a DVD-R that proves that they were.

Outside of thatā€¦a grand release of a good film that I think every SW buff should own a copy of!

Just watched the Dorado release and it was a good release of a decent film. Itā€™s in my 3/5 basket.

I might not have recognized Gerard Herter if I hadnā€™t seen his name in the credits beforehand thoughā€¦ !

Looking forward to more good things from Dorado.

Interestingā€¦ shame they chouldnā€™t make use of it

Well, I remember reading their blog a while back and they were asking people to help them find a complete English dubā€¦ Itā€™s not like they werenā€™t trying.

Yes, you are right. I wasnā€™t aware of their blog until about two weeks ago.

While strolling through my video store (paradise), I was inspecting the new release section and discovered a copy of the new Gatling Gun disc. However, it is only a 2 day rental as it is a new release. Going to have to wait a couple of weeks before I can join in on this extensive discussion here.

Got my copy from netflix. one question i got is does John ireland were make up to make him seem darker and eyeliner???

Oh yes. Absolutely.

Just finished it and it was enjoyable. Robert Woods and John Ireland were both great. One of the better story driven spaghetti westerns out there and I like it as a companion to Price of Power.

3/5

Bit more story to this one than some and like a detective style film for me for the most part. So yes changed my mind alot from last time, which is sometimes the case when you view a decent version of a film. Do tend to find things I like in most Robert Woods westerns these days, even the ones most people do not like as much as others.

Yes, Woods is becoming a stronger favorite of mine, Ennioo.
I have always liked him, but I just find myself liking him even more as the years go on.

almost done watching this. Wow. A real gem. An absolutely A-grade Spaghetti in my opinion. I need to rearrange my top 20 :wink: