Garringo (Rafael Romero Marchent, 1969)

[quote=“Stanton, post:20, topic:1155”]Un par de asesinos is another one which has some great ideas, but fails to bring them to full bloom. The undecided ending wastes a lot.
But I will have to watch the English version as the German dub is a terrible fun dub.[/quote]

German fun dub are so often a problem. An English version is often a better alternative!

Too bad that even Garringo have this problem. :’(

Ahh, I didn’t knew that. But the German version is heavily cut anyway.

The boring middle lets this one down. The PLL character is interesting, but prefer him in some other westerns more. Lots of Spaghetti elements in this make it worth a view, but could have been alot better.

Este es el spaghetti dirigido por un español que más me gusta.
Cut Throats Nine me parece un poco mejor, pero no es spaghetti "de toda la vida"
Garringo me parece una obra maestra, 8.5/10…

This is led by a Spanish spaghetti I like.
Cut Throats Nine seems a little better, but it is not spaghetti "whole life"
Garringer seems to me a masterpiece, 8.5/10 …

Don’t like the ending of this one. Could have been done a LOT more spectacular.

Great idea, Sfeffen killed in the end, would’ve made him really stiffen !

I mostly wish that the heroes get killed. :wink:

What I don’t like is that PLL becomes so whimsical at the end.

Didn’t Leone offered him the role of Arch Stanton for GBU? At least that’s what I read somewhere.

Imagine Tuco’s surprise …

Annoyed me this.

I watched the movie yesterday again.
This time the Fandub with superior image quality.

Good movie and one of those rare cases where Peter Lee Lawrence times shows a good performance. And not inappropriate acts.

Steffen also with one of his better moments. He has no pity to start with his opponents. And even if a floating helplessly in the water, it is still shot.

To the end of the film with some surprising twists. The Friends of Johnny suddenly become his enemies. And if there is no stylus to write here, you simply tear a feather from a chicken. And since there is no ink, it will just slaughtered and the blood to take as a substitute.

Overall, certainly the best film in the career of director Rafael Romero Marchent.
My rating 7 / 10.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Garringo_Review

Wrote a review as a going away present before my vacation. Again in Dicfish’s great format.

Good Review. Absolutely my opinion. :wink:

Haven’t seen it, so I can’t agree nor disagree :-[

[quote=“The Stranger, post:30, topic:1155”]I watched the movie yesterday again.
This time the Fandub with superior image quality.

Good movie and one of those rare cases where Peter Lee Lawrence times shows a good performance. And not inappropriate acts.

Steffen also with one of his better moments. He has no pity to start with his opponents. And even if a floating helplessly in the water, it is still shot.

To the end of the film with some surprising twists. The Friends of Johnny suddenly become his enemies. And if there is no stylus to write here, you simply tear a feather from a chicken. And since there is no ink, it will just slaughtered and the blood to take as a substitute.

Overall, certainly the best film in the career of director Rafael Romero Marchent.
My rating 7 / 10.[/quote]
I just watched the film for the first time and I agree on this.

As of this writing, the full film is available to view at YouTube. It is a choppy 90-min. version where the English dub cuts out a few times and reverts to Italian for a moment. Also seems jumpy and choppily edited in places… another source lists 94min as a runtime, so have 4min been cut? The picture is letterboxed and pretty crisp-looking all things considered.

My (most likely) uncut version runs 94 min, but with a complete English dub.

If it is a Pal version, it might still be complete or nearly complete. Otherwise 4 min are missing.

Watch it again and enjoy it a little bit more. The psycho role of PLL is quite nice. The mean soldier played by Steffen is also interesting. Two bad men, ain’t no heroes here.
My review here (in Portuguese :P): POR UM PUNHADO DE EUROS: Garringo (1969 / Realizador: Rafael Romero Marchent)

I found it quite average. I remember I was very disappointed, because I had read Shobary’s review and he claims this is a classic film.
Well, for me just a decent routine. Nothing special. Steffen as Garringo is superb and Lawrence is astonishingly good (definitely one of his better performances if not the best), but the middle is simply boring.
3 stars out of 5 or 5/10.

[quote=“Mickey13, post:38, topic:1155”]I found it quite average. I remember I was very disappointed, because I had read Shobary’s review and he claims this is a classic film.
Well, for me just a decent routine. Nothing special. Steffen as Garringo is superb and Lawrence is astonishingly good (definitely one of his better performances if not the best), but the middle is simply boring.
3 stars out of 5 or 5/10.[/quote]

I guess the film should have more 20-30 minutes in order to explore Johnny deranged character. But yes, I also agree with average classification.

Yeah, agree. For me it feels like soap opera - especially in the middle and that’s why I don’t like it too much. Giombini’s soundtrack is great though.