Franco Cleef

Someone mentioned the illegality of Internet Companies selling DVDs to foreign buyers. This is quite correct. When I, in England, buy a German DVD, the law is being broken

I believe you as a private person are allowed to import DVDs from a foreign country for example the US, but if a regular shop would do it to re-sell them and make profit from it, that would not be allowed.

But importing to a shop, isn’t this more or less allowed for countries within the EU, Germany to Britain for example?

All DVD companies could be forced to add more severe copy-protection to their DVDs

This is already a problem for the movie companies, but then above all for new films that are made available for downloading, no?

No, i disagree, that’s a terrible idea. For example i wouldn’t be able to buy almost all dvd i would like to.

That aint true. For one we have free trade in the EU, that applies to dvds as well. OK, then we have the non-EU countries, are we allowed to buy dvds from the States? Yes we are but may have to pay extra tax or VAT. You are not breaking any law here my friend.

What isn’t allowed (at least in Denmark) is for companies placed in Denmark to import foreign-REGION movies and sell them. That is the company is perfectly allowed to buy German dvds and sell them, no sweat, but is not allowed to import dvds from the States (R1) and sell them.

That’s how it is and suggesting it is otherwise is absurd. It may come to that at a later time but right now every dvd whatever region is fair game.

Well I trusted someone else’s information on this point, and I am happy to concede that they may have been wrong. If they were wrong. But let’s examine this closely:

What they were saying is that if ADOLF, a German DVD company, wanted to make a DVD of the film DJANGO EATS DIRT, then they would have to buy the rights from BENITO, the Italian Film company that owns the movie.
ADOLF would ask to buy the rights for Germany only, because that would be cheaper than buying the rights for France, Italy Japan, Bermuda and the rest of the world as well. So BENITO would sell ADOLF those rights just for Germany.
Then a British Company called WINSTON comes along and wants to buy the rights to DJANGO EATS DIRT. It can’t have the rights for Germany, because those belong to ADOLF, so WINSTON just buys for England and Bermuda.
The English DVD turns out to be superior quality to the German one, and it has multiple language tracks. It is also available on Internet shops. Lots of German people buy DJANGO EATS DIRT from WINSTON, and ADOLF has poor sales.
ADOLF sues WINSTON for allowing DJANGO EATS DIRT to be sold to German consumers, on the grounds that WINSTON has purchased the rights to DJANGO EATS DIRT for the UK only, and they ADOLF have the German rights.
The European court agrees with ADOLF, and new EEC restrictions are brought in to curb internet shopping where DVDs are concerned.
From now on, no company or individual is allowed to buy or sell DVDs outside their country of origin. The French smile smugly: most of their Internet DVD shops have been refusing to sell French DVDs outside of France for years.

Absurd ? I don’t think so.

Incidentally Alk0, that is indeed a terrible idea. Let’s hope it never happens

[quote=“IndioBlack, post:84, topic:413”]

Absurd ? I don’t think so.[/quote]
You missed my final comment: It may come to that at a later time but right now every dvd whatever region is fair game.

And that’s how it is thank God.

Nice example you come up with but you forget that the EU is (also) a free trade union so the example you give is invalid. BUT what could happen is that importing non-R2 (e.g. American) dvds could become illegal for private customers. When that happens it’s gonna get messy.

Blimey - I WANT this one. Does Franco Cleef do a copy? :wink:

Actually I’ve thought long and hard about this and had my conscience pricked by all that’s been said. So, I won’t buy the FC version. I’ll save up and get the original Cock Media boxset that he stole it from - even tho’ I’ve got other versions of SARTANA GOES CHRISTMAS SHOPPING and RINGO AND HIS GOLDEN WRISTWATCH. I’ve finally seen the light on this one.

Good idea, and later on you can get the FC version too from someone!

And IndioBlack you could go to Germany, it’s not so terrible there :wink:

It’s a real treat for fans of spaghetti-westerns when you find all these German SW releases in the big shops, you don’t have to look for some small specialized movie shop, the DVDs are everywhere!

I was wondering, is stuff like x-rated dvds available in those big shops as well? [i live near the German border so that kind of information is very valuable for me]

You might wanna get some of the releases from Wild Beast and some of the old ones from Blue Thunderground also … Should be right up your alley.

The big shops Saturn and Karstadt usually has a lot of spaghetti-westerns from all German DVD companies, I’ve seen this both in Berlin and Hamburg.

And then there are some book stores where they also sell DVDs, you can find lots of spaghettis there also.

Germany seems the place to be!

[quote=“Silvanito, post:91, topic:413”]The big shops Saturn and Karstadt usually has a lot of spaghetti-westerns from all German DVD companies, I’ve seen this both in Berlin and Hamburg.

And then there are some book stores where they also sell DVDs, you can find lots of spaghettis there also.[/quote]
Also from x-rated? Are you sure? Thought they were to be found at film fairs and special shops only!? You won’t find x-rateds releases at amazon or temeon or any of the other German online dvd dealers so really don’t think they will have them at German supermarkets :slight_smile:

Sure I’m sure 8)

Ok they’re not as common in the big shops as Koch or other DVDs, but I’ve picked up both westerns and a Jess Franco movie from Xrated at these media supermarkets, but then they don’t have these big boxes instead they have regular DVD cases.

[quote=“Silvanito, post:94, topic:413”]Sure I’m sure 8)

Ok they’re not as common in the big shops as Koch or other DVDs, but I’ve picked up both westerns and a Jess Franco movie from Xrated at these media supermarkets, but then they don’t have these big boxes instead they have regular DVD cases.[/quote]
Ah, but you are right. I know those. Got Es geht um deinen Kopf, Amigo from X-Rated “New Line Edition” which comes in a regular dvd case. But I’m pretty sure you won’t find many of the x-rated titles like this. Only think I’ve seen the above and Ein Halleluja für Django of X-Rated’s western releases sold in normal cases. Probably only their FSK16-titles of which there are few.

I have also picked up Sartana Noch Warm und schon Sand drauf with regular case in a shop.

OK. Never heard of it being released like that. I take it that it IS a FSK16-title then!?

x-rated release of " Los cuatro salvajes" is supposed to have regular case version as well

Yes as Es geht um deinen Kopf, Amigo , the release I mentioned above :wink:

Not sure about this, not sure about what that has to do with the boxes?

FSK18 titles you can find in shops too, on a special shelf, FSK16 I don’t think I have seen anywhere ???