Firearm(2005/Eric Zaldivar)

A close up of a pair of eyes,a boys face,down below we see a catapult extended and loaded with a stone,back to the face,then to the catapult slowly raising,his face again and so on until finally we see the catapult directly in the boys eyeline.The stone is released and to the sound of gunshots ricocheting the stone and camera lens bounce all over the place until the stone finally comes to its resting place just before the boy who is now fully in view-it is Ringo(impressively played by the young Eugene Fernandez).Sound familiar?
Before you know it the sweet sound of those wonderful melancholic strings come within earshot introducing us to Morricones main “Sean Theme” from Duck You Sucker and the title appears - “EmeRy Films
Present - FIREARM”-written and directed by Eric Zaldivar aka YourPallbearer We return to Ringo who is now joyfully running with and carressing his dog Red.On the ground there is a mound swarming with ants but instead of pissing on them like elsewhere :wink: Ringo pokes away with a stick,but while this happens Red has run off towards an ominous silhouette of six figures seemingly wearing ponchos and dusters.On closer inspection there’s an unshaven very cool but mean looking leader Groucho(played very charismatically with a lot of humour by Victor Fernandez)wiping away a nose bleed along with five badass Mexicans including Nino(Mitchell Lee Davis)who i swear by his appearance and mannerisms is a reincarnation of Mario Brega.In fact with their course laughter and gross eating habits they could easily be mistaken for Indios gang in For A Few Dollars More.The bandits are wrestling over a ham sandwich,but suddenly it is snatched away by Red who proceeds to chomp into his prize.However Groucho is now seething and with little hesitation opens fire.Ringo desperately comes running over to save his pet but it is too late,Groucho finishes off the poor animal to the sneering approval of the other bandits.Groucho seeing the hatred in Ringo’s eyes tosses him a pistol with which the boy frantically pulls the trigger again and again,but its useless,the gun is empty.Those bastards have now walked off but Groucho has made the biggest mistake of his life-he’s dropped a bullet and Ringo still has the pistol.
I’m not going to give away any more but by now you will have figured that this is a revenge Spaghetti Western and during this movie (made in February 2005) of just under half an hour the director has very much opted for style over storyline considerations but as a Sergio Leone tribute this is very entertaining stuff.Pretty much every Leone trick in the book is utilised with the camera zooming in from all angles,gun duels drawn out to the maximum with bloody but imaginative deaths,windswept sound effects throughout and other great effects like the crunching of boots and cocking of pistols.To add to the authenticity ,like Leone everything has been overdubbed including some Spanish dialogue and i understand samples from other sw’s.
Along with all this we are treated to some very effective and appropriate musical accompaniment taken from the such movies as Django,The Dollars trilogy,OUATITW,Long Days of Vengeance and The Return Of Ringo which all fit the mood of the action perfectly.In between Timothy Murphy(also one of the bandits) provides basic but dynamic acoustic guitar accompaniment including some nice staccato licks and excellent repetitive riffs ascending up the musical scale.
This is a very promising directorial debut which i understand was made on a shoestring budget .This obviously accounts for the lack such things as horses and other locations but this in no way undermines an admirable attempt at emulating the master Sergio Leone to which this movie is lovingly dedicated.
Stunningly filmed in widescreen and very recommended. :smiley:

Here is Shobary’s unenthusiastic review! ;D

http://spaghettiwesterns.1g.fi/misc/fanwork/fire/arm.htm

Made in high school and with only $200 (which we used for the guns).

Careful i see he’s a member here. :smiley:

Where can we see this film?

Nowhere. I would have to send you a copy.
Which I could do. Drop me a PM.

I’ve tried every attempt to get it onto youtube but every attempt has failed.
I believe a friend of mine uploaded it onto some server somewhere but the quality was complete shit.

I saw you were having some problems with your video reviews (a nice idea, but the image quality was indeed complete you-know-what)
Maybe you should send a copy to Earl McGraw, he’s the one who made the YOU TUBE commercial:

I suppose he is a YOU TUBE magician
(And in that case we could all see the film)

The problem was that I had to do something my generation would deem “the ghetto way” which was film the tv screen and give my commentary live. This is why the quality is so bad.
I will have access to an editing system at school within the next two months and I want to use that for my reviews, that way the reviews will be more watchable.
However, I’m in the middle of a project (short western film) and will probably spend most of my time editing that as opposed to the less important reviews.
We’ll see.

Thanks for the information on McGraw! I will definitely ask him for this favor.

[quote=“YourPallbearer, post:7, topic:1162”]The problem was that I had to do something my generation would deem “the ghetto way” which was film the tv screen and give my commentary live. This is why the quality is so bad.
I will have access to an editing system at school within the next two months and I want to use that for my reviews, that way the reviews will be more watchable.
However, I’m in the middle of a project (short western film) and will probably spend most of my time editing that as opposed to the less important reviews.
We’ll see.

Thanks for the information on McGraw! I will definitely ask him for this favor.[/quote]

First things first, YP, and to me it seems the films comes first

I would advice you to write down the text of the review, so you have some kind of autocue
It takes some training to work with autocue/written text (read it out loud a few times before you record it), but it’s an absolute neccessity to avoid all those ‘ehhs’ and ‘mms’ when you improvise (more or less) your text
But I think you’re on the right way

Did you upload it into serveral parts? it can’t be over 10 minutes for some reason. Some people can upload longer videos but I’m not one of them. By the way my name at Youtube is budproductions117. I remember we connected there a couple of months ago… or was it a year ago? Also, I’ve created an account for this site:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSWDatabase