Films in the mold of Magnificent Seven?

(odioustrident) #1

Hi new to the forum here. I was wondering if you guys could help develop a list of films at least partly inspired by Magnificent Seven. These would be films in which a serious task brings together a diverse group of experts.

Five Man Army
Kill Them All and Come Back Alone
Spirito santo e le 5 magnifiche canaglie

What else guys?

(Jonny Powers) #2

I feel like there was another thread, titled something like “Men on a Mission Spaghetti Westerns” or something, that can probably give you some more ideas.

(Reverend Danite) #3

Massacre at Fort Holman/A reason to Live… a Reason to Die seems the most obvious contender.
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Ragione_per_vivere_e_una_per_morire,_Una

(Stanton) #4

… and a perfect reason to avoid such films.

(John Welles) #5

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:3, topic:3479”]Massacre at Fort Holman/A reason to Live… a Reason to Die seems the most obvious contender.
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Ragione_per_vivere_e_una_per_morire,_Una[/quote]

Two things are in order here: first, welcome back Rev (of course!) and, second, I would defend A Reason to Live, A Reason to Die, despite its toxic reputation, it’s surprisingly decent for a '70s Spaghetti Western, tiresome comedy is kept to a minimum and even if there isn’t much beyond its linear plot, what it does it does not too badly.

(Stanton) #6

For me it is badly done, often very badly. Even for the low directing standards of Valerii it is a catastrophe. Actually it looks like there wasn’t any directing at all. And the actors play adequate.

(scherpschutter) #7

First half is okay, second half … well, is not

(titoli) #8

I always appreciate Stanton’s brutal honesty, especially when I agree with him :slight_smile:

Most of these films are closer to Dirty Dozen than to Magnificent 7 because 7 (Magnificent or Samurai) are hired to defend, while 12 are hired to attack (on enemy’s ground), and that is the premise that these movies follow.

(Stanton) #9

That’s right, The Dirty Dozen is the real influence.

The better Mag 7 film is The Professionals (Richard Brooks, 1966). In any respect (apart from bald heads maybe)

(scherpschutter) #10

True, The Professionals is indeed a better movie than The Magnificent Seven, but Mag 7 has the cooler heroes. In that aspect it was immensely influential.

(Stanton) #11

Mag 7 is a bit bald, The Professionals is bold.

(ENNIOO) #12

The Magnificent Seven is a bit overlong for me for what it is, and that theme tune has always annoyed me for some reason.

(Asa) #13

Great theme tune, unfortunately massively overexposed; obviously as a result of how great it is. It’s a shame, because it just sounds kind-of hackneyed and cliched now through no fault of its own.

(kit saginaw) #14

Massacre At Fort Holman: below-average.
Vera Cruz: above-average.

The Magnificent 7 was inspired by The 7 Samurai, so I’m not sure what the OP is alluding-to for a list… saving villagers, or gathering mercenaries for a mission.

(Bill san Antonio) #15

Today We Kill, Tomorrow We Die has this gathering of group for mission aspect.