Ferdinando Baldi (1927 - 2007)

Ferdinando Baldi died today in Rome at 80. More information will be posted at Cemetery With Crosses as it comes in.

Not a bad age to live up to I guess.

RIP thanks for the movies

That’s very sad thing to hear. His movies were very entertaining. RIP Ferdinado Baldi.

Let’s make FORGOTTEN PISTOLERO film of the (next) month, and all watch it once again.

Thanks Ferdinando, RIP

Yes Baldi was one of the most prominent of the SW directors!

Not as important artistically speaking as Leone or Corbucci, but he nevertheless did several well-made and entertaining spaghetti westerns!

We should discuss him some more over the next weeks I think!

I’ve not seen all of Baldi’s westerns but I’ve seen about half (five). Wow, I don’t know what to think of them as a “body of work”, but he made some really interesting films! The Forgotten Pistolero and Blindman are two of my favorites. Rita Of The West I found almost unwatchable (even for camp value). Poor Gordon Mitchell: as undignified (if such a thing is possible) a role as I have seen in a Spaghetti Western.
Baldi really seemed to be all over the map.
He is featured in interviews in the documentary The Spaghetti West. He’s a charming old fellow and tells some interesting stories. He relates how Franco Nero was “stolen” from the Italians (by the producers of Camelot) when they were planning to have him star in a sequel to Django (and how they “cast” Terrence Hill instead).
I’ve never seen Get Mean but it looks like it is probably fits the Baldi mold: over the top and entertaining. Anybody seen Get Mean?
RIP Ferdinando and thanks.

Little Rita Nel West is in my top 20 list ;D

Well Sivanito, there is something for everybody in the Spaghetti Westgern genre. Hell, there is probably something for everybody among the westerns done by Baldi!

Do you like Little Rita more than Blindman & The Forgotten Pistolero?

And even though I thought Little Rita was almost unwatchable, I would not have missed seeing it for the world. It was a hoot. I don’t remember exactly, Gordon Mitchell doesn’t actually try to sing does he?

GET MEAN is over the top. I interviewed Tony Anthony about 15 years ago and asked him what was the idea behind this film. He told me they were trying to take the Stranger character into different worlds and if GET MEAN had been a big hit we would have seen the Stranger character appear in all kinds of situations and different eras. Similat to the 3 SUPERMEN films.

Hmmm, call me crazy but i would love to watch such movies :stuck_out_tongue:

Tom,
Did Tony Anthony ever talk with you about why he never made a Blindman sequel? It is surprising that none was ever done considering that he seems to have liked making sequels and, also, that there seem to have been around 20 Zatoichi films by the time Blindman was made.
Thanks

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:12, topic:770”]Tom,
Did Tony Anthony ever talk with you about why he never made a Blindman sequel? It is surprising that none was ever done considering that he seems to have liked making sequels and, also, that there seem to have been around 20 Zatoichi films by the time Blindman was made.
Thanks[/quote]
I heard the sequel was never made because wearing contacts was to painful for Tony Anthony. That’s a pity i must say, i would love to see sequel of that great movie.

Anthony should have embraced the idea of wearing shades instead! The diminishing popularity of the western could have been another reason.

It warms my heart to think that Anthony, Baldi & co didn’t give up on the genre but gave us the lean and mean COMIN’ AT YA, another hard-working show-off SW with unused sequel potential.

Exactly. Tony said the contacts they used were very painful and his eyes swelled and caused him problems for weeks after shooting finished.

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:9, topic:770”]Well Sivanito, there is something for everybody in the Spaghetti Westgern genre. Hell, there is probably something for everybody among the westerns done by Baldi!

Do you like Little Rita more than Blindman & The Forgotten Pistolero?[/quote]

Well, it’s difficult to compare these films!

Blindman and Forgotten Pistolero are really good too, but Little Rita is quite unique among spaghetti-westerns.

I think it’s good fun, I like the music, I like Rita Pavone!

All spaghetti-westerns don’t have to be so serious to me, even if I don’t like the slap-stick of the Trinity-movies.

Wasn’t it unusual also to have such a parodic spaghetti from such an early time 1967?

Anyway this film stands out and is not just another standard western.

I think BLINDMAN is his best western, i think FORGOTTEN PISTOLERO is also great but feel it gets a bit more recognition than what it deserves a lot of the time.

Most Baldi movies I think are great. Especially Blindman.

seconded

[quote=“korano, post:18, topic:770”]Most Baldi movies I think are great. Especially Blindman.[/quote] thirded ! lol