Favourite 5 Peter Lee Lawrence SWs

Funny when ever I think of the actor now I always think of ex forum member SD :grinning:

PLLs best westerns are More Dollars for the McGregors and Garringo. And maybe The Fury of Johnny Kid. Manos Torpes is also of some interest.

Some of the others are ok, some are mediocre, some are bad. But all in all I view his films more positive than a few earlier, but still think he couldnā€™t act, and that he looks wrong in most of his roles.

The 20 years old blonde German girlie student who calls her(him? it?)self now Eurolaw?

Peter Lee Lawrence delivers one of his more convincing performances in Gianni Pucciniā€™s Dove si spara di piĆ¹ alongside his future wife, Cristina GalbĆ³, who was only sixteen at the time of the filmā€™s shooting (this statement by GalbĆ³ might be of interest to you). If nothing else, watching Pucciniā€™s Western adaptation of Romeo and Juliet made me reread William Shakespeareā€™s original play (as well as August Wilhelm Schlegelā€™s German translation, Romeo und Julia).

Yes, I liked him in Garringo. And he was okay in El hombre que matĆ³ a Billy el NiƱo and in I giorni della violenza. All in all, Karl H. appeared in seventeen Westerns, of which Iā€™ve seen seven. Imagine youā€™d have to watch all of them in a row ā€¦

I already miss her. She seemed to be a nice person and, if Iā€™m not mistaken, the only female member of this forum.

Hopefully I can get to Fury of Johnny kid, and days of violence before the end of summer. Seven Pistols for the Macgregors (1966) is actually in my list for the bottom 20 worst spaghetti westerns I ever saw, as I found their to be way to many repeats of ideas,even Morriconā€™s soundtrack/theme isnā€™t catchy. Robert Woods and Fernando Sancho arenā€™t memorable at all, and this films seems to try to hard.So another film with ā€œMacgregorā€ in the title may be on hold to watch.

Thank you for the link.

Yes, was probably him.

Well, it is Mc not Mac in the Merino film, and it has not the slightest connection with the 2 Giraldi films about the MacGregor clan. Also very different in style.
And it is the English title anyway, which is completely different from the original title, and actually Iā€™m not really sure that there was anyone in the film who bears the name McGregor.

It is a tough and grim film, and recommended to anyone who likes his Spags violent and dirty. Even PLL manages to look tough in this film, which comes close to a miracle, and a director who is responsible for this canā€™t be less than a genius.

Too female to be true ā€¦

Thank you sir. I viewed the trailer, which looked really neat.

Oh yeah, More Dollars for Macs, forgot about that one, i liked it too - hell, i wrote a review about it, i should know better.

ehm, i think, youā€™re little exagerating here - itā€™s good SW, but i wouldnā€™t raise false hopes for those, who havenā€™t seen it yet

I would rate PLL like this (from what iā€™ve seen):
1. Una bala marcada - with better finale, it would be great, but even without it, itā€™s pretty good SW - some of my insights here https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/God_in_Heaven_ā€¦_Arizona_on_Earth_Review
2. Garringo
3. More dolls for Macs - my review here More Dollars for the McGregors Review - The Spaghetti Western Database
Okay, here comes a breaking line, quality fluctuates:
4. 32 Caliber Killer (iā€™m not sure about this one, have seen it long time ago, but remembering it as quite good detective SW)

Another break in PLL goodness:
5. Fury of Johnny Kid - such a great title, such an average movie
6. Days of Violence - this was pretty much weakest PLL

Looks like iā€™m PLL die hard fan

A little ā€¦

Resurrecting this thread for obvious reasons.

After my Spagvemberfest retrospective of the blond one I would rate my top 5 PLLs as the following:

Fury of Johnny Kid (1967)
Killer Adios (1968)
More Dollars for the McGregors (1970)
Death on High Mountain (1969)
Awkward Hands (1969)

Garringo, Days of Violence and The Man Who Killed Billy the Kid come just after these but most are quite close for me outside the top 5 really and Garringo could just as easily have slipped in there too.

32 Caliber Killer stands out, to me, to have the single best SW voice dubbing of a character. It actually enhances Lawrenceā€™s performance. The voice artist is very assured, natural, and comfortable in the role. Iā€™ve seen so many movies with Anthony Steffen, for example, where a better dub would ā€œmade himā€ a much better actor.

I only have 4 for the moment, but rate them all high 7/10 with my current SW Top rank.

36 Awkward Hands (Rafael Romero Marchent)
37 A Gun For 100 Graves/Pistol For A Hundred Coffins (Umberto Lenzi) music Angelo Lavagnino
38 Fury Of Johnny Kid/Ride For A Massacre (Gianni Puccini)
40 Garringo (Rafael Romero Marchent) music Marcello Giombini

There is a certain charm in these SWs, especially the 3 first I think, and PLL fits that mood well. Awkward Hands is the most diversified with the different phases which create some originality and some nice music underling the mood (but also a contrasting lighhearted musical theme).

I also have watched Killer Caliber 32 once on Youtube and gave it an preliminary ā€œunofficialā€ 6/10 rating.

1 Like

I actually never heard of Peter Lee Lawrence before this topic. Besides For a Few Dollars More, it looks like I have never seen any of his films either. Seems like heā€™s in some interesting stuff, though, I might try and check out one of his movies this weekend.

1 Like