Favorite SW Inspired Film(s)

Hello again SW Fans,

I’m sure no one has talked about this yet, so I hope this one is good. As the Italians were inspired by classic Hollywood Westerns, so were future filmmakers were inspired by Italian made Westerns. Some were done within the age of the SW, others long after the genre was finished. I’m curious as to what films inspired by SW’s other fans enjoy to watch. These can be Westerns or non-Westerns, but still contain themes, motifs, etc you find in the SW’s.

Mine are:

Kiru! (Kill!) (1968), Japan, Directed by Kiachi Okamoto, Starring Tatsuya Nakadai

Koruto Wa ore No Pasupooto (A Colt is My Passport) (1967), Japan, Directed by: Takashi Nomura, Starring Jo Shishido & Jerry Fujio

High Plains Drifter (1973) USA, Directed by and Starring Clint Eastwood

Unforgiven (1992) USA, Directed by: Clint Eastwood, Starring Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman, and Richard Harris

Some 70s Japanese film’s like Hanzo the Razor have SW elements as far as I’m concerned. This sequence from 1999 Korean film Nowhere to Hide has stylized SW elements like the ironic choice of background music juxtaposed with brutality. This is one of the best action sequences I have seen in any movie:

1 Like

Very nice! The Japanese and Koreans do have an affinity for the American Western and the Italian Western, and this is a fine example of that. Nice pick! :+1:

I forgot to add that SW stylized elements are welcomed too for anyone else who wants to post.

1 Like

Rolling Thunder! It’s like urban version of Return of Ringo! One of my favourite movies.

2 Likes

Haven’t seen that one myself, but still an interesting pick. Thanks for sharing.

I’d have to go with Unforgiven, my favourite Clint self-directed film.

1 Like

Nice choice👍🏻 Thanks for sharing.

That is also a favorite of mine.

And so is the Depp, Banderas movie
Once Upon A Time In Mexico.

I rate both as a 9/10.

1 Like

Both Rodriguez and Tarantino were heavily influenced by the SWs,probably more than any other genre of films. Nice choice.

Perhaps an obvious choice, but the 2008 Korean film The Good, The Bad and The Weird is marvellous fun. Also The Quick and the Dead, an American western from 1995.

1 Like

The Good, the Bad, and the Weird certainly is obvious, but it’s also quite the unique and interesting homage to the genre. I have a pretty high regard for The Quick and the Dead with Sharon Stone’s female gunslinger, but I felt Sam Rami’s attempt to cash it in as a pseudo remake of C’era una Volta il West (Once Upon a Time in the West) kept it from being totally original in its homage. It’s still very well made though. Thanks for posting and good choices.

1 Like

Technically not a film, but absolutley shot with the same love and care as a feature, and soon to get a limited release as a film (all episodes back to back)…

If you haven’t seen The Mandalorian yet, let me just say it isn’t exactly inspired by Spaghetti Westerns… it is one.

Off to watch the second episode now.

1 Like

Do you have more information? Disney+ will not be available here till 2020…

Escape From New York. John Carpenter was also inspired by Spaghetti Westerns.

1 Like

That’s right, I remember he did a section of audio commentary and some interviews for the Once Upon a Time in the West DVD and Blu Rays. Didn’t know EFNW had SW elements in it, cool.

1 Like

It had Lee Van Cleef and Kurt Russell basically playing a Clint Eastwood character. It was like a dark, urban take on the SW. Carpenter even had Native Americans in it.

More info on The Mando, or the releasing of the episodes as a movie?

And jeez they test marketed Disney+ in New Zealand for cryin’ out loud, how did you guys not make the cut? :cowboy_hat_face: