Favorite Non–Spaghetti Westerns

Hombre
The Wild Bunch
The Shooting
One-Eyed Jacks (this one needs a proper DVD release, the market is littered with garbage DVDs of this one)

Top of the list would be TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE if it qualifies as a western. Great film by a director who made many great films.

The Bob Hope/Bing Crosby comedy THE ROAD TO UTOPIA is my favorite film starring either actor. Again, might not really be a western.

Charlie Chaplin’s THE GOLD RUSH is a wonderful. I guess several of the comedic short silent movies of Buster Keaton and others could be considered westerns, and I enjoy those quite a bit.

I haven’t enjoyed any of the post Spaghetti era US westerns I’ve seen.

High Plains Drifter
Outlaw Josey Wales
Pale Rider
Silverado
3:10 to Yuma (remake, haven’t seen the original yet)
The Gunfighter
Unforgiven
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Magnificent Seven
Buck and the Preacher

Non SW western that I really hate: One Eyed Jacks, overrated in my opinion

Let me see if I can cut this list short at around 20 titles…
I could easily do a Top 100 list of Spaghetti Westerns…and a Top 100 list of non-Spaghetti Westerns! ;D

Here are my favorite non-Spaghetti Westerns in random order:

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN
VERA CRUZ
ONE EYED JACKS —Sorry mr. challenge, I think it is brilliant! :slight_smile:
TOMBSTONE
RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY
THE WILD BUNCH
PAT GARRETT & BILLY THE KID
BUCHANAN RIDES ALONE
RIDE LONESOME
THE TALL T
COMANCHE STATION
DUEL IN THE SUN
WARLOCK
RIDE, VAQUERO!
HOMBRE
THE GUNFIGHTER
BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID
THE LEFT HANDED GUN
THE MAN FROM LARAMIE
LONESOME DOVE (not exactly a “movie”…but, still great nonetheless!)
LAST OF THE FAST GUNS
BANDIDO
TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA
HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER
THE TREASURE OF PANCHO VILLA

Ooops!! Guess I got carried away…better stop right there…

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:43, topic:103”]ONE EYED JACKS —Sorry mr. challenge, I think it is brilliant! :)[/quote]I think so too. Possibly my favorite American western!

I own a DVD of one eyed jacks and I’ve seen it a couple of times. It just seems a jumbled mess to me. Brando’s character is unlikeable. I like movies in which I can really cheer on for the protaganists. Too many loose ends and a unnecssarily complicated plot and an unsatisfying resolvement of the issues.

Karl Maldon and Brando are excellent in their roles and Brando did a good job directing, and the set designs and scenary are terrific. I think its thescript and character interactions that need work.

Maybe I’m being too hard on this movie. I do realize that I am in the minority when it comes to my opinion on one eyed jacks.

1. El Topo
    rest in no particular order:
  • 100 Rifles
  • The Wild Bunch
  • High Plains Drifter
  • High Noon
  • 3:10 to Yuma (original)
  • El Dorado
  • Dirty Little Billy
  • The Professionals
  • Mackenna`s Gold
  • Unforgiven
  • The Ox-Bow Incident
    No One Eyed Jacks or Magnificent Seven for me.

[quote=“mrchallenge, post:45, topic:103”]I own a DVD of one eyed jacks and I’ve seen it a couple of times. It just seems a jumbled mess to me. Brando’s character is unlikeable. I like movies in which I can really cheer on for the protaganists. Too many loose ends and a unnecssarily complicated plot and an unsatisfying resolvement of the issues.

Karl Maldon and Brando are excellent in their roles and Brando did a good job directing, and the set designs and scenary are terrific. I think its thescript and character interactions that need work.

Maybe I’m being too hard on this movie. I do realize that I am in the minority when it comes to my opinion on one eyed jacks.[/quote]I agree the ending is a let down,but like you say some nice scenary, i need to see it again only seen it once a couple years ago.

This off the top of my head ill probably forget something good. winchester 73- The searchers-red river(despite the ending)-the tall t-blood on the moon-the professionals-wild bunch-hombre-high plains drifter-josey wales-unforgiven-tombstone-deadman-lonesome dove.

Oh yeah…THE PROFESSIONALS is an outright classic in my book!! Shoulda put that one near the top of my list…

My fav in order are:

1. The Wild Bunch.

2. High Plains Drifter.

3. Lawman (version where Lancaster gets shot in the back at the end of the film).

4. Ulzana’s Raid.

5. Chatos Land.

6. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid .

7. The Outlaw Josey Wales .

8. Doc.

9. Valdez Is Coming.

10. Death Hunt.

11. The Hired Hand.

12.The Culpepper Cattle Co.

1. From Noon till Three.

2. Posse (Kirk Douglas).

3. Breakheart Pass.

4. Pale Rider.

5. Blazing Saddles

My personal favs are:

• Missouri Breaks (it´s just great to listen to Brando and Nicholson)
  • Heaven´s Gate (Great movie, don´t know why it is so underestimated)
  • The Man From Laramie (I loved James Stewart as a kid and I still do so today)

[quote=“Chico Martino, post:51, topic:103”]My personal favs are:

• Missouri Breaks (it´s just great to listen to Brando and Nicholson)
  • Heaven´s Gate (Great movie, don´t know why it is so underestimated)
  • The Man From Laramie (I loved James Stewart as a kid and I still do so today)[/quote]

Three good films, Chico.

I’ll stick to my list (see previous page), but would like to add El Dorado by Hawks.

I finally begin to appreciate Hawks.
I guess it took me so long because of his more ‘relaxed’ approach to filmmaking.
Compared to the more ‘serious’ Ford I always found Hawks a little too whimsical, but when I rewatched El Dorado a few weeks ago, I discovered it was - in spite of the easy jokes here and there - a profound and deeply felt study of men past their prime, a theme very precious to me, a man in his fifties …

Maybe I will prefer Hawks to Ford after rewatching some key films of their body of work …

Hard choice. For me,both are on the same level, but I have seen their movies in my childhood and have to see it all again to get new impressions of it.

BTW, just remembered some others I like very much:

• Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  • Jeremiah Johnson

I really enjoyed one of the more recent westerns made - THE JOURNEYMAN (2001), with its ‘spaghetti’ feel.

1. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  2. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
  3. Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The
  4. My Darling Clementine
  5. Lonesome Dove
  6. Rio Bravo
  7. The Searchers
  8. Red River
  9. Unforgiven
  10. Two Mules for Sister Sara
  1. The Professionals 2. Unforgiven 3. The Outlaw Josey Wales 4. Tom Horn 5. 100 Rifles 6. Bite The Bullet 7. 3:10 To Yuma(Russell Crowe) 8. Open Range 9. Quigley Down Under 10. Shane 11. The Searchers

I haven’t seen a great deal of any type of Western, but here’re my favorite non-spaghetti ones that I’ve seen:

My Darling Clementine (1946) – I’m surprised that this isn’t mentioned more. It’s a wonderful film, one of my favorites of any genre.
Unforgiven (1992)
The Wild Bunch (1969)
Ride the High Country (1962)
3:10 to Yuma (2007)
High Plains Drifter (1973)

I’d like to put No Country for Old Men on my list but I left it off because of its more modern setting, but it’s an amazing film.

ALL TIME Favourite SD Westerns YEAR 1968

HANG EM HIGH 1968 Clint Eastwood Inger Stevens
FIRECREEK 1968 Henry Fonda Inger Stevens
FIVE CARD STUD 1968 Dean Martin Inger Stevens
BANDOLERO 1968 Dean Martin Raquel Welch

In no particular order.

High Plains Drifter
Breakheart Pass
The Wild Bunch
Vera Cruz
They Died With Their Boots On
How The West Was Won
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Hang 'em High
Chato’s Land
The Desperados
Shadow of Chikara
Arrowhead
Magnificent 7
Mackenna’s Gold
Lawman
Shane
Two Mules For Sister Sara
Riding Shotgun
Young Guns
Jesse James
The Return of Frank James
Long Riders
Gunfight At The O K Corral
Tombstone
The Professionals

10 non Spags I like very much:

The Wild Bunch
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
Hombre
Little Big Man
The Shooting
High Noon
My Darling Clementine
Yellow Sky
40 Guns
Major Dundee

I could name 100 up to 150, all these wonderful westerns …