Face to Face / Faccia a faccia (Sergio Sollima, 1967)

The prison break is possibly one of the scenes that had to be trimmed before theatrical release (if anybody knows more about their contents, please tell). Maybe the footage exists in producer Alberto Grimaldiā€™s vaults, but Iā€™m not holding my breathā€¦

I see Iā€™m very much in the minority in my view of this film. I just donā€™t like it very much. IMHO Iā€™d still rate this as head and sholders above the mass of Spaghettis out there but for a film that tries so hard to have an ā€œideaā€ behind it, it falls flat to me. And for a film that self-conciously tries to be smart, I found most of the plot to be unbelievalble. For instance, thereā€™s this huge community of outcasts out in the hills/desert and nobody knows where it is? At least in A Minute To Pray A Second To Die, the outlaw community of Escondido was a place people knew the location of. And what the hell was that southern mansion (complete with Belle) about?
Take out the speachifyinā€™ and high ideas and I like it a lot better.
I love, really love, Sollimaā€™s other two. I wish I could this one as well. :ā€™(

[quote=ā€œRomaine Fielding, post:22, topic:566ā€]I see Iā€™m very much in the minority in my view of this film. I just donā€™t like it very much. IMHO Iā€™d still rate this as head and sholders above the mass of Spaghettis out there but for a film that tries so hard to have an ā€œideaā€ behind it, it falls flat to me. And for a film that self-conciously tries to be smart, I found most of the plot to be unbelievalble. For instance, thereā€™s this huge community of outcasts out in the hills/desert and nobody knows where it is? At least in A Minute To Pray A Second To Die, the outlaw community of Escondido was a place people knew the location of. And what the hell was that southern mansion (complete with Belle) about?
Take out the speachifyinā€™ and high ideas and I like it a lot better.
I love, really love, Sollimaā€™s other two. I wish I could this one as well. :ā€™([/quote]

I like this film but I tend to agree with you Romaine. Its a bit too preachy for my blood.

I wish you could, too----as I think this film is Sollimaā€™s absolute best (yes, I think it is even better than THE BIG GUNDOWN). If unbelievability was such a great factor in the forming of your opinion on FACE TO FACEā€”then, RUN MAN RUN should really be the one you hate. For me, RUN MAN RUN is utterly ridiculous and largely a waste of celluloid (apart from the presence of Chelo Alonso, of course).

But, this is all a matter of opinion, of courseā€“and I donā€™t begrudge you yours, amigo.
After all, I am the guy that doesnā€™t care too much for THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY!
:wink:

Face to Face is my favourite Sollima western, and love how the Gian Maria Volante character changes during the course of the film.

I have to agree with Brother Ennioo and Brother Chris here. Althoā€™ I havnā€™t seen it for a while, it holds a very special place for me. It is, along with Adios Sabata and Django, part of a ā€˜seasonā€™ of SWs that I saw on tv when a youth. These 3 films, more than any others (ok, FAFDM) - got me scrabbling around trying to revisit them later in life.
I loved then, the underlying philosophising in this one, and the way that it pans out for Brad. Even if I might find it a little ponderous now (and I probably wouldnā€™t), I canā€™t ever get away from that special place I hold for it in my heart ā€¦ ahh :-*

[quote=ā€œChris_Casey, post:24, topic:566ā€]I wish you could, too----as I think this film is Sollimaā€™s absolute best (yes, I think it is even better than THE BIG GUNDOWN). If unbelievability was such a great factor in the forming of your opinion on FACE TO FACEā€”then, RUN MAN RUN should really be the one you hate. For me, RUN MAN RUN is utterly ridiculous and largely a waste of celluloid (apart from the presence of Chelo Alonso, of course).

But, this is all a matter of opinion, of courseā€“and I donā€™t begrudge you yours, amigo.
After all, I am the guy that doesnā€™t care too much for THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY!
;)[/quote]
Sorry, fellers. I can see why this movie would be a favorite of many and I am not trying to persuade anyone that it should not be. Chris, itā€™s not exactly the believablity that I take issue with. I recognize that you are right about your evaluation of Run, Man, Run. Actually, Chelo Alonso is EXACTLY why I love Run, Man, Run ! But it is a silly and confused and nonsensical movie. But the difference to me between Run, Man, Run and Face To Face is that FTF goes way out of its way to EXPLICITLY state some philosphical points. It just seems to me that from the very first moments of the film the viewer is told, literally told, that here is something you should think about. Fair enough, but if I have to engage the rational part of my brain (not usually necessary when watching a Spaghetti), I have a hard time switching it off at implausible moments or plot points. Thatā€™s my only real beef.
But the movie still works on other levels, as shown by its many loyal fans.

This is my favorite of Sollimaā€™s but like the other two, it is flawed.

The whole concept of the film is to see two men who polar opposites trade moral traits after spending enough time with eachother.
We never get to see how vicious Milianā€™s character is because we start off the movie with him already captured (and shortly after wounded). We never get to see the side of him that would later be picked up by the bookish Fletcher.
Then the main problem is the change itself. Much too quick I think.

I still rate this film rather highly and have given it a four on the poll atop this thread.

Does anybody have any info as to why Nicoletta Machiavelli is always credited with this movie?
I donā€™t think she is in it.

FTF is my least favorite Sollima SW. The main idea is quite original, but i have to agree with the statements above that the transformation of characters feels a bit rushed. I mean in 1,5 hour you witness a man who presumably hadnā€™t held a gun in his hand before, becoming an A-class shooter- in the way it was directed, itā€™s not very believable for me. The dubbing wasnā€™t the greatest one either. Anyway, i wouldnā€™t rate it much much higher even if these flaws didnā€™t exist at all 'cause itā€™s not the type of SW i like most. But as things are now, itā€™s a 3/5 film for me.

This is my favorite Sollima movie. Big Gundown is great but this one is greater. Run, Man, Run just suckes IMO so that isnā€™t even in consideration. This one has great character developement and true anti heroes. I canā€™t really figure out if GMVā€™s character is ultimately a bad guy or what. I liked his character. Both sides. And I think Berger is the real bad guy. e betrays the gang which results in the killing of all their friends and puts Bennet in jail. Not to mention he kills GMVā€™s girlfriend and foils his beloved bank job. But he did have some redemtion at the end when he simply asks for them to throw down their guns. Anyway, I love the music. Very intense with those pluck instruemnts. Great performances and Milianā€™s terrible wig didnā€™t bother me as much as I thought it was going. The film is made in such a way that is very interesting. So it naturally keeps interest high and I canā€™t decide if it is a slow movie or not. What I donā€™t like about Sollimaā€™s western style as a whole is that it can be very anti climatic. In Gundown, There could have been a great, massive gunfight but two duels instead. Same here. Great possibilities not happening. Oh well. Its still a good movie.

You have good taste Korano.

I like to think so too. ;D But I am a fan of Get Mean and many donā€™t like it. Not to mention Shoot the L :ā€™(ivingā€¦

I guess we all like one or two that perhaps some do like so much, and it all adds to the fun.

Amen brother

This is a top class film all the way. One of the best of its type. This movie is sorely in need of a legit dvd release in North America. It could definitely benefit from some more attention and wider recognition.

Round here we got our KOCH with a great DVD.

But not yet a seperate release

I guess the US is the only place that has yet to get a good release. Iā€™ve seen the KOCH and the Japanese discs. This movie is worth the full restoration treatment.

I agree that the transformations are very rushed in FTF. But I think Volonte and Milianā€™s great acting jobs makes the transformations somewhat more believable.

Apropos transformations. I think Volonte doesnā€™t change cpmpletely. What I particularly like about his character is the fact, that he still is the sophisticated professor in some way. You can see this in that grat scene, where he wants to execute someone and asks for his gun with this nice bangbang-gesture. Very nice.