Eurospy

And funny that there’s a remake with Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer!

That´s not a remake. Just a film with the same title.

But very funny, just the same ;D

Enjoyed this one alot more. More serious tone is what did it for me. And like you say some alright action and I liked the machine gun action.

Glad you like it. Can´t go wrong with a spy named Bart Fargo 8)

Watched Jess Franco´s The Devil Came from Akasava today. Pretty lame spy story, but some nice ladies and overall entertaining cast. Nothing grand going on, apart from Soledad Miranda´s strip act. 5/10

Dutch review:

Sergio Grieco’s spy film Rififí ad Amsterdam was on the menu yesterday. Fun stuff with nice locations all over Europe, and Franco Ressel as the evil maniac trying to destroy the world with, yet another, mega deadly laser beam. 6/10

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:26, topic:2250”]

Sergio Grieco’s spy film Rififí ad Amsterdam was on the menu yesterday. Fun stuff with nice locations all over Europe, and Franco Ressel as the evil maniac trying to destroy the world with, yet another, mega deadly laser beam. 6/10[/quote]

Ressel as an evil maniac sounds like my kind of fun. And Evelyn Stewart as well? That’s a clincher.

Superseven Calling Cairo was the latest one watched. Another Roger Browne spy vehicle, this time directed by Umberto Lenzi. It won’t bore you, but it doesn’t offer the pop art stuff, ridiculous villains and goofy trickery that make other Eurospy films so much fun. Nice ladies though, but that’s a must in this type of film. 5/10

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:28, topic:2250”]

Superseven Calling Cairo was the latest one watched. Another Roger Browne spy vehicle, this time directed by Umberto Lenzi. It won’t bore you, but it doesn’t offer the pop art stuff, ridiculous villains and goofy trickery that make other Eurospy films so much fun. Nice ladies though, but that’s a must in this type of film. 5/10[/quote]
That guy is trying hard to look like Sean Connery.

The gun it’s not MI 5 standart :slight_smile:

Wouldn´t know about the gun, but realism isn´t one of the strong points of this type of film anyway.

In the film he introduces himself as James Bond to some lady, a quite succesful pickup line.

Sono stato un agente CIA - Serious spy film by Romolo Guerrieri. All around solid flick, with a good cast. 7/10

Sette donne d’oro contro due 07 - Comedy spy flick with Mickey Hargitay and director Vicenzo Cascino as two spies on a treasure hunt, with seven women on their trail. Funny at times, plain stupid at other times. 5/10

BL, did you watch these on dutch vhs tapes?

The first one had a Dutch vhs release, of which I watched a rip.

The second was ripped from an Italian broadcasting and was fansubbed.

Le spie uccidono in silenzio (1966, Mario Caiano)
Not too interesting, not horrible either. Mediocre is what describes it best. 5,5/10 in my book or 2/10 on stanton’s scale :wink:
The last half hour is the best part of the movie, but is still far from great. Lang Jeffries does his best Connery impersonation, but it’s not much. Villian Andrea Bosic is slightly better. The ladies are the best thing about the cast. The amount of action is sufficient. Too bad the nice settings (Lebanon to name one) are underused.

[/URL]

[size=12pt]Furia à Bahia pour OSS 117 / OSS 117 Mission for a Killer[/size] (André Hunebelle, 1965)

OSS 117 is the French 007, created by French pulp author Jean Bruce, who’s novels seem to be older than Ian Fleming’s James Bond. The novels are set in the US (OSS 117 works for the CIA), but the protagonist is of French descent: his name is Hubert Bonisseur de la Bath; his family – ancient French nobility - had moved to Louisiana in the late 18th Century.

The first OSS 117 movies were made in the fifties (in B&W), but were hardly ever shown outside France; in the sixties the franchise was picked up – for obvious reasons – with modernized versions in lush colours and provided with an English language track for the international market.

This is probably the best in the series. It was the third ‘sixties’ OSS 117 and the first starring Frederick Stafford, the actor most identified with the character. Hunebelle had discovered him in a hotel lounge, when he noticed how women reacted to Stafford’s appearance. Stafford wasn’t a Frenchman, but a globe trotting adventurer and former professional ice-hockey player of mixed Czech-Austrian descent, with an Australian passport, who was fluent in five languages, among them French. He played in a series of European action movies, but most people know him from Hitchcock’s Topaz, his only ‘major’ production. For some reason he never appeared in a western. I suppose he couldn’t ride a horse, otherwise it seems odd that no SW director would’ve ever wanted to use him.

The story of Furia a Bahia is very eurospy, and very sixties: in Brazil several politicians are killed by people who have no criminal record at all. Apparently they had been administered an unknown drug, which made them act like robots. The CIA is interested and their best agent, our man Hubert, is sent to South America. The trail leads to a hideout deep in the Amazone jungle, where one of those crazies dreaming about world domination, plans to start a revolution with the aid of a discovery of a local medicine man.

This may sound like a fairy tale today, but in the sixties the idea of substances, or psychological treatment, which could turn a human being into a robotic monster, ready to do what he’s ordered without any moral hesitation, was taken serious. It was used in several movies, the most famous being John Frankenheimer’s The Manchurian Candidate (1962), which was said to be based on real-life events. Behaviorism, in particular conditioning, was one of the leading psychological theories in those days. A few decades later, we found out that cramming Koranic texts into young people’s heads is far more effective if you want to turn them into moronic murderers …

But in the sixties terrorist were still idiotic scientists, operating from a jungle base, no fundamentalists hiding in a grotto complex somewhere in Afghanistan. And we didn’t bomb them, nor did we send young people after them, but the likes of 007 or OSS 117. Anyway, Hubert Bonisseur de la Bath knows his job, and so does director Hunebelle. The film was made with a relatively large budget, but compared to the budgets the 007 franchise was working with, it almost seems a B-movie. With the exception of the finale, the are no large set pieces; instead Hunebelle and Stafford have put all their energy in a series of fistfights, which outdo virtually all the Bond movies have to offer in this aspect. Ironically this large scale finale, set in the Amazone forest, looks rather clumsy. The set design reminds us a little of the magnificent sets ken Adam created for You only live Twice – and understandably pale by comparison. But that only a minor drawback, Stafford is very fine as OSS (and he has a few jolly gadgets) and the women are beautiful, especially Mylène Demongeot; she never became an international star, but in France her career covers four decades, and in the sixties she was briefly considered to be France’s most important sex symbol after BB.

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[url]http://img29.imageshack.us/i/l59206016b6f5c1.jpg/[/url]

Nice review Scherp

I’ve seen this film too and it’s not bad, just not as exciting as James Bond or some of the other Eurospy movies

The locations are great and Mylène Demongeot is very beautiful

I think all of the OSS 117 movies have gotten quality dvd releases, but only with French audio

Most of them exist in English language fandubs though

I remember Mylène Demongeot from The Singer Not the Song. Yes, quite a beauty.

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:35, topic:2250”]Le spie uccidono in silenzio (1966, Mario Caiano)
Not too interesting, not horrible either. Mediocre is what describes it best. 5,5/10 in my book or 2/10 on stanton’s scale ;)[/quote]

Looks like a 3, even if I have never heard about it before.

Fuller Report

Entertaining stuff by Grieco. Clark is good as always in this type of role. This time he’s forced to act like a spy by the CIA, even though he’s a professional racecar driver. Entertaining throughout with a good amount of action, solid camera work and some great oneliners. The Swedish settings are a nice change.

7/10